// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Devils Pit 19/09/10

Devils Pit 19/09/10

Latest news on Frontera Owners Group events, meets, greelaning & offroad
Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

Devils Pit 19/09/10

Postby hipo1024 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:25 am

My 1st PnP day ever as a driver and what a blast!! I went there with my brother and a friend and of course my truck! :D

I made it round all day on road tyres and only got stuck twice, both of which I got cross axled/beached :( so all in all I'm bl#dy chuffed! I was expecting to be getting stuck all the time, even more so when I checked the weather and it was ment to be heavy rain the night before. I made it up some prity steep inclines, and down some even steeper decents! :shock:

I havn't washed the car yet so I dont know if these any paint damage (it was very scratchy), but as bobbinsjob warned me my rad did get clogged with silt and as a result the temp gauge kept bouncing between 80 and 100, but never went above 100 so hopfully it's a-ok! I did take a squirty bottle with me, hense why the temp went down, and then back up again. When we got back to my local yet wash I unbolted the top rad brackets, pushed it back a bit and gave it a blast and its stayed at 85 since. :D
The lady at the "gate" said that we'd probably loose our side steps....but they didnt even get bent! Also those standard skid plates took a beating without breaking a sweat, or breaking! :P Althogh I think the cross member for the torsion bars took most the the hammering as its bang in the middle.

Heres what it looked like on the way home when we stoped off for grub. - and yes I know I diped the air box corner in the drink, but it was shallower on that side - I havn't checked the air filter to see if it got wet or not, but I guess it probably did a bit.

Are there any area's I need to clean other than the body and underside, would it be a good idea to take the skids off and yet wash the underside of the engine and g/box ect.?? any hard to get spots that need cleaning out to prevent catastrophic rust?
Dan

My 2.8 shorty - now sold, and comments here
My old dti - now sold

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW --- What a Ride!"

This vehicle runs on 100% recycled dinosaurs
hipo1024
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Vehicle Name: Justifies Every Extra Part
Modifications: Daily drive: '55 jeep grand cherokee crd
3" Suspension lift
265/70/17 GG ATs
CB radio

Previous trucks:
2.8 lwb - sold
2.5 lwb - sold
2.8 swb - killed
2.2 Dti - sold
Region: East Anglia

Re: Devils Pit 19/09/10

Postby bobbinsjob on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:36 am

You're a braver man than me Dan. Great to see you had a good time. Just make sure you give the rad a good hosing and the intercooler. not jetwash bar risk of damage to the fins
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728
1996 2.8 SWB called VIPER

Members Ride section for VIPER

Comments on VIPER here

GET YOUR CARTOON CAR HERE
bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: Viper
Modifications: Deep offset Steel modular wheels with 32/11.5/15 Kuhmo KL71 mud tyres
+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Modified Navara tubular rear bumper
Mental cammo paint job
Region: South East

Postby Rifleman on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:08 am

Seems that your roof light gota bit of a doing too. They're blinding aircraft pilots. :D
Regards, Keith.

1 in every 100 people are Coeliacs.
One of them is me.

2.5 TDS San Diego LWB 1997 Private reg, in blue (Braveheart)
We take the high road together

www.raeburnimages.co.uk

ImageImage
Frontera lovers from Caledonia
Land of the Claymore

ImageImage
B R A V E H E A R T
Rifleman
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.5 TDS San Diego 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/R
Vehicle Name: Braveheart
Modifications: Bluetooth radio / CD player
4 pod 12V adaptor
Roof rack
Spare wheel on the roof rack
4 Spots on the roof rack
Extra rear lights on the roof rack
CB antenna on the roof rack
New CB
Nudge bar with spots and fogs
Grey leather interior
Engine detailing
Internal orange LED flashing warning lights
LED day lights
Region: Scotland

Postby hipo1024 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:18 pm

I've just cleaned it and OMG! it has loads of deep scratches. what's the best thing to put on them?
thanks, dan

My old dti - now sold

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW --- What a Ride!"

hipo1024
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

3" Suspension lift
265/70/17 GG ATs
CB radio

Previous trucks:
2.8 lwb - sold
2.5 lwb - sold
2.8 swb - killed
2.2 Dti - sold

Postby BoxCleva on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:22 pm

I had a similar problem after this weekends greenlaning. A couple of hard polishing sessions with Autoglym super resin polish sorted mine. When you say deep, do you mean to the metal ?
BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Location: North Wales, not to far from the Wayfarer- Between Wrexham and Oswestry
Vehicle Name: sack o sheet
Modifications: Beemer e46
Region: North West

Postby jason on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:57 pm

:rotfl: Don't worry about the scratches mate,you will get loads of them,i have gave up trying to polish them out :D

I take it,that you have not checked your air box yet :lol:
I would do asap,and take a photo,so we can see :lol:
All the gear but no idea
MODS FOR A B SERIES - MY TRUCK
jason
Leper of fronteras
Leper of fronteras

Model: 2.2i 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Vehicle Name: Tarzan
Modifications: I dont believe in mods...... yeh right! check out below link...

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk/forums/ ... 98#p315298
Region: Midlands

Postby gregster on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:17 pm

hipo1024 wrote:I've just cleaned it and OMG! it has loads of deep scratches. what's the best thing to put on them?

FOG STICKERS!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby bobbinsjob on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:14 pm

thats right!!!! why do you think mine has more stickers than paint :oh yer:
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728

Comments on VIPER here

bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

Modifications: Deep offset Steel modular wheels with 32/11.5/15 Kuhmo KL71 mud tyres
+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Mental cammo paint job

Postby hipo1024 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:16 am

BoxCleva wrote:I had a similar problem after this weekends greenlaning. A couple of hard polishing sessions with Autoglym super resin polish sorted mine. When you say deep, do you mean to the metal ?

not to the metal no, but most of them are down to the primer (creamy colour) and they stick out like a b!tch on a black truck. My mate wrote "I like dity things just like your mum" on the bonnet after the 1st go through the lake and then "clean me baby" just before we left and both of these are still readable in the paint :evil:
My gran said to use t-cut?? any good? will it do the trick and is it cheap enough to make it worth wile? or shall I stick with Cleva Box's idea of "Autoglym super resin polish"

jason wrote:I take it,that you have not checked your air box yet :lol:
I would do asap,and take a photo,so we can see :lol:

yeah I have and yes the filter has some mud splattered on it, but only about a quorter of it, if that really and I went through the lake (large puddle) 4 times I think. Im just glad I opted not to go through the middle because it was coming up and over the bonnets of a lot of the disco's (I watched for about 10 mins before sucking up my sak and going for it)
I will post a pic tomorrow for ya.

as for the stickers, my other half wont let me have any more FOG stickers on it because the orange bit clashes......... :roll: yeah what ever love.

Damage update: the middle skid/bash plate has a large dent in it, which is odd as its plastic? hmmm may need to look into that.
also the front standard recovery loop got bent, not sure if thats due to mashing it into the ground or from being dragged at a funny angle after getting grounded

My old dti - now sold

hipo1024
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

3" Suspension lift
265/70/17 GG ATs
CB radio

Previous trucks:
2.8 lwb - sold
2.5 lwb - sold
2.8 swb - killed
2.2 Dti - sold

Postby andysd1 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:41 am

trick of the trade, don't let any one write on a dirty car, it can be worst
flying solo, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
andysd1
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Vehicle Name: snake

Postby bobbinsjob on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:47 am

make sure that every bit of that silt is cleaned off, and then I have got an electric bonnet polisher/buffer you can use if you wanna pop over to get it
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728

Comments on VIPER here

bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Mental cammo paint job

Postby BoxCleva on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:11 am

I have used the coloured polishes on a car with similar problems to yours in the past with reasonable results.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165527

I'd try it by hand first. A buffer might be a bit severe with that.
BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Location: North Wales, not to far from the Wayfarer- Between Wrexham and Oswestry

Postby FronteraGirl on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:01 pm

Jeez, looks like you had a great day out there! :dance:
FronteraGirl
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Modifications: No mods, just a need a mud and snow busting machine cos I live a wee bit off road in the NE of Scotland.
Region: Scotland

Postby hipo1024 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:58 pm

I'll look into prices tomorrow, maybe :D
We had another spell of overheating today on the M11, which is strange as it was fine all day monday. This morning (before it overheated) I jet washed the engine bay with focus on the oil cooler... so it managed fine with a caped oil cooler, yet overheats with a clean(er) oil cooler....sometimes I just think its me.....but Im sure that dont make much sence???? especially as I was doing 70 (high air flow) and monday I was buzzing around town (low air flow). I'll have to have yet another look at the rad, but it should be clean now... :/

anyways, heres some more pics :D - the camera hasnt picked up the dirt on the filter very well, but oh well. nothing got through the filter which is the important thing!

enjoy!

My old dti - now sold

hipo1024
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

3" Suspension lift
265/70/17 GG ATs
CB radio

Previous trucks:
2.8 lwb - sold
2.5 lwb - sold
2.8 swb - killed
2.2 Dti - sold

Postby si_hoss on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:57 pm

Hipo - I can't see the pics as at work (they block anything cool) but the only time I took my Frontera off road was at the Devils Pit back in Feb 08 - in fact my profile pic is from there! AWESOME DAY OUT!! :D :dance:

However, cleaning the clay/mud after isn't. I only live in Stevenage but had to stop 4 times due to overheating. And then, the whole truck including engine bay needed a good 6 jet washes to get clean, then the front sump guard might as well have been a massive ice cream scoup!!! No chance of getting it out of there! I saw another Fronty there that day and he was putting card in front of the rad (like a black cab in the winter), which would have been a good way of peeling the mud off for the drive home, although I'd watch the temp when playing.

That colour polish stuff in Halfords did bring the paint up nicely I must say, looked like a new paint job. I think cleaning it after was the main reason I didn't go again before selling it :(
si_hoss
mud splasher
mud splasher

Modifications: No Fronty = No Mods :(
Got a Vectra C 2.2DTi with a couple of mods though....

Postby hipo1024 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:23 pm

si_hoss wrote:Hipo - I can't see the pics as at work (they block anything cool) but the only time I took my Frontera off road was at the Devils Pit back in Feb 08 - in fact my profile pic is from there! AWESOME DAY OUT!! :D :dance:

However, cleaning the clay/mud after isn't. I only live in Stevenage but had to stop 4 times due to overheating. And then, the whole truck including engine bay needed a good 6 jet washes to get clean, then the front sump guard might as well have been a massive ice cream scoup!!! No chance of getting it out of there! I saw another Fronty there that day and he was putting card in front of the rad (like a black cab in the winter), which would have been a good way of peeling the mud off for the drive home, although I'd watch the temp when playing.

That colour polish stuff in Halfords did bring the paint up nicely I must say, looked like a new paint job. I think cleaning it after was the main reason I didn't go again before selling it :(

Thats a good idea, putting card infront of the rad. I might look into that because my rad has some really nasty looking fins on it atm.
I lost count how many times we stoped, but it took over 2 and a half hours to get back to cambridge. :shock:

Damage update:
The middle skid plate is all shaged out, good n propa! chunks of it are missing and the back two bolt holes are ripped out, well one is, the other has gone altogether, only the front two bolts holding it on now. defo need to get metal ones made up.
Also the trailer power socket got totally owned! because the plate its screwed to has a notch for the cable it hasnt bent all as one and the socket got pulled apart, I still need to bent the plate back so I dunno if I can save it or not yet, but I'm not holding my breath.
And now my aux. belt has started squeeling

fun times, fun times!

Vids coming shortly!

My old dti - now sold

hipo1024
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

3" Suspension lift
265/70/17 GG ATs
CB radio

Previous trucks:
2.8 lwb - sold
2.5 lwb - sold
2.8 swb - killed
2.2 Dti - sold

Postby hipo1024 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:06 am

Last edited by hipo1024 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

My old dti - now sold

hipo1024
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

3" Suspension lift
265/70/17 GG ATs
CB radio

Previous trucks:
2.8 lwb - sold
2.5 lwb - sold
2.8 swb - killed
2.2 Dti - sold

Postby BoxCleva on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:42 am

BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby hipo1024 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:55 am

BoxCleva wrote:Vids aren't showing up . Here's the links.

hmm, I was hoping it was just my computer, I'l edit the above post then. Also, just to be a pain, you missed 2 of the vids :P

And thank you, I think it did very well aswell, was very surprised!

My old dti - now sold

hipo1024
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

3" Suspension lift
265/70/17 GG ATs
CB radio

Previous trucks:
2.8 lwb - sold
2.5 lwb - sold