// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - SE picnic in the woods REVIEW...11th April 2010

SE picnic in the woods REVIEW...11th April 2010

Kent to Oxfordshire

Including London North,South, East & West Bedfordshire Oxfordshire Hertfordshire

Moderator: gregster

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

Re: SE picnic in the woods REVIEW...11th April 2010

Postby mud_lover on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:18 pm

bushwacker wrote:
mud_lover wrote:looks like you all had a good time, pitty i didnt come im going to be honest as a newbie i dont no you guys and thought it was just going to be a meet in the woods chatting about fronteras rather than actual offroading thats why i didnt come,pitty i didnt looks like it was a good laugh, mind you judging from the pics i dont think my tyres and ground clearence would have been up to the task, hopefully next time i wont be so judgemental and will have better tyres and lift, so count me in ,
hi ya thougt you was a mate of GIBBO, he can tell you what its like down at the woods, last time i see his truck he lost a headlight and a wing mirror, it was very muddy and chalanging, see picnic in the woods review 6th december ...............pete

ye i am a mate of gibo, i totaly forgot to mention it to gibbo, ill be there on the next one, count me in,
mud_lover
Apprentice Frontera engineer

Region: South East

Postby jammywagonwheel on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:46 pm

Mud_Lover.. i was a newbie in October.. had landrovers previously and they got a bit snobby.. These are a great bunch of peeps - like minded people who help eachother out.. we were made to feel very welcome the 1st time - and I'm hooked.

I must admit - i took the war office and offspring to a meeting the 1st time just in case it turned into a 'LRO' meeting "oh - you dont have a WARN 12000 winch with remote winch that costs 5 grand" or a "thats not up to it" day and we could bugger off and do something else.

pic of my daughter on the 1st day... think it was november - really not enjoying herself.. much.. :mrgreen:

and that was on standard AT tyres (now on Phils - Bushwacker's), no lift, nothing.. in a 15 year old car.. just a car off ebay and no expectations (but a escape plan in place just in case :wink: ) I got stuck.. lots - but the fun is getting out - the car was undamaged and I drove home - 70 miles.. its not a balls out day with extreme madness.. a full 4 off the floor up to the top of the windscreen in mud day out.. its a day out with like minded saddo's (like me :butt: )who have frontera's... Greg blew the Rad on his up, Tom brought a spare for me (mines breaking down a bit) and it ended up in his. during the BBQ..

mapracing - came down without his car the 1st time last time.. this time back with car.. Houndog turned up on his own in the afternoon on the last one.. and brought the family for the day... (and mad dog!) :dance:

They are a great bunch. the rules do say that there is no offroading.. its just a picnic.. which it is.. But IF - thats a bigIF you do decide to go for a sneaky look round the woods.. you can! but dont let anyone catch you...

Tazman, Tom, (sorry - cant remember the names of the others - especially the nice blue one with the nice tailgate - sorry) stayed in the car park - cars are too nice to go and get scratched with the paint jobs etc - picnic area and had a natter - Tazman and his boys popped out with me in the afternoon as his is too nice to offroad (taz - good luck with the tinting etc :wink: and sorry for popping a branch into nipper) - was funny though :oops: we were fine inside - didnt feel a thing :rotfl: )

Come along to the next one.. and that goes to anyone.. dont be scared.. If you want to be - Greg will take you for a "brain in glovebox" in Lil white leafer :wink:

think Ive summed the day up?

John...
You cant polish a t*rd..
But you can roll it in glitter

if its broken - fix it
if it isnt - mod it!
jammywagonwheel
Organic Modifications
Organic Modifications

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Martha Farquah
Modifications: #1 - Martha
1995 2.0 sport, 2" lift, 31/10.5/15's
passed MOT,
new front pads & calipers
Broke it
Bled,
Sworn,
Cried,
Hit it with hammers
Fixed it

Postby Hound Dog on Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:20 pm

Well said John couldn't have put it better myself.

I will add if you like alton towers and the other theme parks. Brain in the glove box with Greg beats all of them.

I must add a huge thanks to Greg and Sally for a great Picnic in the woods.

See you next time Houndog and Family
ROADS? WHERE WERE GOING WE DON'T NEED ROADS!!

Hound Dogs Tractor
Hound Dogs Tractor Comments
Hound Dog
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Vehicle Name: Tractor
Modifications: 2" suspension lift EGR and birds nest removed.
Region: Southern England

Postby Retro Pedro on Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:29 pm

My vids will be following on, promise - having a bit of a problem getting data transferred from the camera to youtube - at present, this is the third night of trying and still struggling, but I will get there.
In the meantime, another brill day - once again, big thanks to Greg and Sal for their organising efforts.
Nice to see the new boots doing their stuff on Jimbo's Holly and Kel's motor respectively.
Good to see Paul's project in action - nice looking job he's done as well - hope the downer with the front drive/axle is not to terminal and can be fixed OK. Feel guilty on this one, because it was my idea to have a go at getting up Krusher Revenge where the damage occurred.
Amazing what a week's worth of sun have done with the conditions - everybody was able to get around and enjoy themselves.
Nice to see Kev and Tom's shiny motors in the metal - shows what can be done if you want a gleamer.
Hopefully be back later with the vid uploads.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Postby Krusher on Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Krushers revenge is not quite ready driveable going up, unfortunatly. Over the last Picnic only gregsters dumpers and my shear
determination with the new boots conquered it... :D :D
Ramsgate, Kent
Never Imitated Often Battered
Krusher
I used to have a little pinky

Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: STRIDENT
Modifications: +2" suspension lift and torsion bar wind up
Maletester Kaimen MT's
CB, LED daytime runners
FOG chrome bullbar
stainless mangled side steps
Air box with room for a goldfish

Postby Retro Pedro on Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:22 pm

Kel - I did - that's the problem, it was when Paul was following on behind me that he hit his problem.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Postby Krusher on Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:02 pm

Oh right, sorry Pete didnt mean to leave you out. Just goes to show you Gregs dumpers and our simex copies really
are the mutts nuts.... :lol:

Anyone have any more pics or vids?? I thought there were quite a few cameras on the day... :wink:
Ramsgate, Kent
Never Imitated Often Battered
Krusher

Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: STRIDENT
Modifications: +2" suspension lift and torsion bar wind up
Maletester Kaimen MT's
CB, LED daytime runners
FOG chrome bullbar
stainless mangled side steps
Air box with room for a goldfish

Postby mapracing on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:10 pm

i got a couple of pics
frontera 1 061.jpg

frontera 1 062.jpg

frontera 1 064.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mapracing
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Registration Year: 1993/K
Vehicle Name: one arm Bandit
Modifications: 2" suspension lift 2" body lift roof light bar with 4 round spots and cb aerial monroe rear shocks home made snorkel 31/10.50/15 on black steel wheels recovery points front and back diff breathers manual hubs

Postby mapracing on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:14 pm

one more of greg
frontera 1 065.jpg

STILL NOT SHAW WHAT IT IS THIS IS AS FAR AS I HAVE GOT SO FAR APART FROM THIS GREAT WEEKEND
frontera 1 070.jpg

AND THIS ASWELL
frontera 1 071.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mapracing
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Modifications: 2" suspension lift 2" body lift roof light bar with 4 round spots and cb aerial monroe rear shocks home made snorkel 31/10.50/15 on black steel wheels recovery points front and back diff breathers manual hubs

Postby gregster on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:46 pm

Sorry for not getting back sooner...

Few pickies from Sally and I...

The gang in the clearing...

The li'll white leafer testing the slidey properties of its autoglymed paintwork...didnt work, Louis moved the tree away slightly with his strangerover and the leafer self extracted...was a bit challenging this bit...gibbo will remember it well!

Wilberforce being extracted by the li'll white leafer...

A very hot li'll white leafer as its rad self destructed...

The following extraction...its was so steep that even with the handbrake on fully and in first in low 4, it was still rolling backwards, lurching as each compression stroke let go... :shock: Took a 3 car tow and a bit of assistance from the leafer to get extracted... proper mission...then down krushers revenge with no engine was different!

Mapracing stuck on a stump...they now know the "push it off the highlift" trick to move the car sideways!

The li'll white leafers mullered rad... :shock:

Big thanks to everyone who came, was nice to see some new faces as well as the regulars...
Extra thanks go out to...
my sally as always for putting up with me and her assistance...
John for the rad...
Tom for the trophy (Top bloke of the year award for me... 8) )and bringing the rad...
Stevey2stuck for cooking again...
All those who came to my rescue...Jim, Kel and Paul...and all those who came along to laugh and give "advice"...
Kel for the help collecting all the lumber for logging...

Jolly good day, nice to see everyone....

Thanks everyone for coming and making it yet another success...
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby djsarge1973 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:42 pm

DAMMIT I MISSED IT!!!!, that'll teach me for not reading all the posts :( wish some one would have poked me with a stick & let me know!!!!!....so next time....POKE ME WITH A STCK & I'll get my ass there
djsarge1973

Registration Year: 1998/S
Vehicle Name: the Green Meanie
Modifications: 12" Sub, uprated speakers, DVD head unit, Fan Over Switch, 2 Amps, 4 Gang 12V adapter, In/Out thermometer....
235/75/16 CHUNKY tyres
but WILL be upgrading parts
Region: South Wales

Postby mapracing on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:55 am

Top videos pete but did you have to show me and steve keep getting stuck :lol:
mapracing
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Postby tom on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:02 am

djsarge1973 wrote:DAMMIT I MISSED IT!!!!, that'll teach me for not reading all the posts :( wish some one would have poked me with a stick & let me know!!!!!....so next time....POKE ME WITH A STCK & I'll get my ass there

there is the WEEKENDER IN THE WOODS!!******2/3/4th JULY 2010!!
:D :D :D so put in your diary :D :D :D
tom

Postby Retro Pedro on Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:48 am

Believe I must this one off when I up loading the main block of vids - now I can wipe to camera SD card ready for the next day out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH8GFLvyk7Y
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby gregster on Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:53 am

Retro Pedro wrote:Believe I must this one off when I up loading the main block of vids - now I can wipe to camera SD card ready for the next day out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH8GFLvyk7Y

Blimey...that must of be THE video of stevey2stuck NOT being stuck...need to frame this one somehow Pete :lol: :lol: :lol: :butt: :butt: :butt:
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby hobsey on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:13 am

After seeing more pics and videos from the day, I'm even more gutted my truck broke down the day before. :cry:

PSN & Xbox Live username: hobsey1980
hobsey
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 2.2i 16v RS Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Vehicle Name: Fanny
Modifications: Air freshener
Front torsion bar lift, 3" I think
HD Trooper rear coils
2" coil spacers
265/75/16 Fedima Frontieras
Rough Country 9000 series shocks
Recovery shackle
CB Radio
Magnamount Aerial
Fire extinguisher bolted to rear roll bar

Postby Retro Pedro on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:14 am

Greg - I liked the 90 degree flip to buck the trend or else it would have been in the same hall of fame - only joking Steve.
The FOG frog is doing well. Need to go back and edit a title on one of the vids that showed Steve hopping up the slope into the overturned tree stumps. Don't think the vid showed the real life action, Steve's back wheel as well clearing the ground as he gave it welly conquering the climb.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Wilberforce on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:25 pm

Pete,

Some cracking videos there mate, even if you are a little biased towards that bomb-hole, hehe... Got me thinking now, as to getting some video setup in my car, and doing some shots of the various climbs...
Brain bubbling now, hehe

Jim
Jim...

South East Picnic site information

| Jessica - 2002 Isuzu Trooper Insignia LWB | 3.1 ltr hybrid conversion |
Wilberforce
The stick insect
The stick insect

Registration Year: 2002/51
Vehicle Name: Jessica
Region: North West

Postby Retro Pedro on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:51 pm

Jimbo - Paul had a lens in his number plates - but it turned the wrong way (mirror imaged).

The bomb hole as a viewing gallery - you know, where you have to jump out of the way when the motors are coming over the top - I reckon next time I'm going to park up for a bit and get some shots of the hill climbs - or should I just give Steve the camera whilst he's parked up from time to time LOL.

Quite pleased with that little camera - £20 brand new from China + £10 for the 32gig SD card from Hong Kong.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

PreviousNext

Return to South East