// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Speedometer sensor

Speedometer sensor

banter general discussions etc

Speedometer sensor

Postby jmc on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi guys,
Does anybody know where I can get a speedo sensor in the UK for my 2.5 tdo.
I have found them in China for $ 7.00 including postage or $9.00 plus postage $16.00 from the States.
Seems bonkers I can't get one here.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
jmc
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.5 TDS 5dr
Registration Year: 1998/R
Modifications: 2.5 lwb dark green with a two inch bodylift.Steel lockers over wheel arches to store stuff in.
2.3 blue.new leaf springs.changed drop down tailgate with rear swing door to take spare wheel.now not on the road awaiting repairs.
Region: South East

Re: Speedometer sensor

Postby robbie on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:05 pm

robbie
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Registration Year: 1997/R
Vehicle Name: The white 1
Modifications: 2.5 the white1
none of my own as yet . but i like wat you lot are doin so gettin very tempted :). chrome bighorn D bar, body kit
2.0 1997 the gold1.
chrome bull bar to be fitted along with tinted upper and lower rear light clusters, 255x75x15 on 5spoke early A alloys
2.0 1997 green1.
wrap round bull bars, side steps, 31x10.5x15 on trooper alloys
Region: North East

Postby jmc on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:57 pm

Thanks Robbie.
jmc
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: 2.5 lwb dark green with a two inch bodylift.Steel lockers over wheel arches to store stuff in.
2.3 blue.new leaf springs.changed drop down tailgate with rear swing door to take spare wheel.now not on the road awaiting repairs.

Postby jmc on Mon May 14, 2018 9:45 am

Update...got a speedo sensor from China for $7:00 inc postage. It arrived in 5 days, fits car but the plug is different so I cut the plug off the old sensor and using small spade crimp fittings connected it to the new plug.
Put it on the car but no joy.
Rang www.genuinepartssearch.co.uk , very bored sounding,uninterested guy at the end of the phone said it was no longer available. There is one on eBay which says it fits but it looks the same as the one I bought.
So my non working speedo could be the cable broken inside somewhere or the circuitry on the clocks itself or I didn't do the connections well enough. Mileometer dosent work either.
jmc
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby pot bellied pixie on Mon May 21, 2018 7:15 pm

Check the wiring as it goes over the gearbox. Prone to rubbing and shorting out. Or clean the multi plugs in the engine bay
Veni Vidi Lychee I came I saw I ate fruit
pot bellied pixie
frontera God
frontera God

Registration Year: 1998/S
Modifications: Now deceased.
Gone to the dark side a
black shogun sport equippe.
Region: North West

Postby jmc on Tue May 29, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks pixie. Had a really good look at the weekend and I have found a place where the cable has rubbed against a pipe under the multi plugs. I got another working sensor from Gregster but the speedo still didn't work. A friend was due to come around anyway and he helped me understand the wiring diagram. We worked out it must be a break in the wiring somewhere. He then took a wire from the sensor direct up to the black and violet wire in the plugs in the back of the clocks and got the speedo to work. So we patched it in and I routed the wire up under the dash to the clocks. I went off happily in it today only to find the fronty won't rev above 2000 very well. Worried that our patch in was affecting the ECU I took it off at work and retired the black and violet wire back together .
It hasn't improved the performance,so I'm not very happy . I wonder if it needs the codes clearing and re setting.
Been in touch with Gregster about a replacement wiring cluster as I wonder whether I've disturbed something in the moving about of the chafed cable.
jmc
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby pot bellied pixie on Wed May 30, 2018 10:34 pm

Get some switch cleaner onto the multi plugs. Worked for mine ..
Veni Vidi Lychee I came I saw I ate fruit
pot bellied pixie
frontera God
frontera God

Registration Year: 1998/S
Modifications: Now deceased.
Gone to the dark side a
black shogun sport equippe.
Region: North West

Postby jmc on Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:49 pm

Got the codes read ,cleared and reset that next week a few days later . There were lots out and the fronty has run well ever since.
I think that because I tried to start it with all the multi plugs unplugged , how embarrassing, :oops: that's what spooked the ecu.
jmc
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby robbie on Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:29 am

These are a pain if you don't clear the codes even with no light on on the dash. But well done for sorting it out
robbie
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Registration Year: 1997/R
Vehicle Name: The white 1
Modifications: 2.5 the white1
none of my own as yet . but i like wat you lot are doin so gettin very tempted :). chrome bighorn D bar, body kit
2.0 1997 the gold1.
chrome bull bar to be fitted along with tinted upper and lower rear light clusters, 255x75x15 on 5spoke early A alloys
2.0 1997 green1.
wrap round bull bars, side steps, 31x10.5x15 on trooper alloys
Region: North East

Return to General discussion