What happened to the old girl??
Well, what finally killed her off was a wiring fire on the way back from a trip to the SE woods, I think as a result of fitting my Alpine stereo and pinching/shorting a couple of wires but I'm not 100% on that. Either way, I was about a couple of miles from home when a plume of smoke came from behind the dahboard and various electrical things stopped working, although the engine and lights stayed on. Got her home, taped some plastic over the stuck-open windows and left it for the night; she never actually ran again.
I had the dashboard out to try and trace the fault, and it turned out that pretty much all the wiring behind the dash was shot, along with the spur to the fuse panel, and the damage progressed through various multiplugs into the engine bay and body loom. Too much for me to fix on my own, so I was casting round eBay for a 2.8 being broken to see if I could rob the loom off it, then spotted my current car on there and bought that instead. All the toys and fun stuff came off the BBB, then the rolling carcass got trailered up to Rospicer's chop shop for the tank to be drained and a few more bits removed, then she got chopped up.
Lawrence has the Calmini kit at the moment with a view to making more sets of it; the winchbumper, roofrack, wheels, etc, are all still with me waiting to be refitted to the new car.