// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - how much a diesel?

how much a diesel?

banter general discussions etc

how much a diesel?

Postby petrolhead63 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:40 am

Great to see the website back, I wondered what had happened.

I have contributed on and off for a year or so now and it is interesting with regard the preferred models. A common thread seems to be the 2.8TD is sought after and more expensive to buy as a result, I think LWB seem more favoured. Personally although I love my 2.8TD (especially in summer with aircon that still works!) I thought the old 2.3 diesel had a charm of simplicity and offered a slightly more comfortable ride (or maybe that was cos it was too slow to bounce :lol: ) and better economy.

Does anybody in the group who see's them change hands see what sort of prices these cracking trucks make now? the likes of e-bay not being a particularly good guide because many of them are truly awful! Perhaps a rough guide would help the uniformed visitor looking to be initiated into Frontera ownership!

Clearly only a standard car could have a guide, costly offroad mods etc being one off.
petrolhead63
Apprentice Frontera engineer

Re: how much a diesel?

Postby pidge on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:53 am

i have been looking into a lwb but not sure if i can part with my swb, i too
have noticed that the 2.8td are hard to find and when you do seem to be
shall we say very well used and at a cost as for a price i don't think i have
two the same yet but i'm still looking!
COOKIE POSTS.....KEEP COOKIES AWAY FROM THE FOLLOWING!!!
rich2.4i and meooo!!
pidge
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/M
Modifications: bull bars, side steps, rear tints, dvd player with 4" tft screen,
carbon dash kit, bucket seats, monsa racing wheel,
dash neons, 10" sub box, 4 x fusion 6.5" speakers, lexus rear lights,
cb, and a front facing camera, cat 1 alarm with remote start!
Region: North East

Postby petrolhead63 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:37 pm

yes I agree...most 2.8's are well used but that I suspect is because they do it. For our daily cars I always run hi milers and it is interesting that some models you find lots and lots looking good with 200K plus and other makes very few much over say 140K. I think it is because as they start giving trouble the drivers adding miles at an alarming rate let them go! A good example is my Pug 406HDI, over 200K and not unusual at all, now I considered a new shape lagun to replace but they just have not covered the same mileages and even at 90-100k common threads of new parts big bills, turbos etc etc. I look and see what the taxi guys are using, it's a good guide.

To my LWB 2.8TD, had it a year, done 6K as a spare car and its great, very hi spec too. now on 110K miles, apart from the front abs sensor I'm trying to sort now (see other threads) it's been perfect but decided we need go for a 7 seater so have a Disco too now and think the Fronty will be up for grabs soon. I will list it on this site when I'm ready but if anyone wants to enquire I'm not offended if you contact me!

(If it sells from an enquiry off this site I will naturally contribute to group funds.)
petrolhead63

Postby pidge on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:41 pm

count me in i might be interested pm me when you deside with the spec ect
COOKIE POSTS.....KEEP COOKIES AWAY FROM THE FOLLOWING!!!
rich2.4i and meooo!!
pidge
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/M
Modifications: bull bars, side steps, rear tints, dvd player with 4" tft screen,
carbon dash kit, bucket seats, monsa racing wheel,
dash neons, 10" sub box, 4 x fusion 6.5" speakers, lexus rear lights,
cb, and a front facing camera, cat 1 alarm with remote start!
Region: North East

Postby Red Oktober on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:51 pm

my 2.8tdi is a daily run around as well as being a bit of a toy to play in ..it has well over 140k on the clock and not once has it given me major hastle ...

either i am looking after it properly ...or i have managed to get a very good car

the trouble is ....that like every other make/model of car/van/bike,etc,etc you'll always get some that are a pile of tosh ...so in that respect it's actually quite difficult to build a list of "what to expect" ...
Red Oktober
Retired

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Region: South West

Return to General discussion