// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Budget

Budget

banter general discussions etc

Re: Budget

Postby fourshoes10 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:45 pm

when you say it like that it sounds good,but when they spend tens or hundreds of millions on these and it dont go on extra nurses or fire / policemen but is wasted on management or art for hospital,or it pays for all these bloody illegal immagrants to live here then a few extra pence in tax is hard to swallow
fourshoes10
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/M
Modifications: 1 set of seat covers,full tank of fuel
Region: South West

Postby peej39 on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:35 am

alex wrote:He cant mess with older cars, hence the pre 2001 band stays the same for all cars. Unfortunately in ten years or so were gonna be fighting over scraps of cars to avoid the bracket as it wont fall with the age of the car. Imagine paying £500 odd road tax on a £200 bomb ????

I've got a feeling that in 10 years time, you might be happy ONLY paying £500!
peej39
Senior Frontera Engineer
Senior Frontera Engineer

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Region: Southern England

Postby peej39 on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:38 am

Have a look here, at the enquiry bit if you're unsure what it is going to cost you. http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/
peej39
Senior Frontera Engineer
Senior Frontera Engineer

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Region: Southern England

Postby imprezaspectator on Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:44 pm

muddypluka wrote:if i were in parliment my proposal would be scrap road tax but increase petrol prices to at least £1.50 a litre and leave it there for the next 4 years that way people would be discoraged from taking the chelsea tractor 1/2 a mile up the road to drop the kids off at school this would also solve a problem of untaxed vehicles on our roads because every vehicle uses juice no mater who owns it !!!!!!!!!!!

£1.50 for a litre of fuel could be with us by Christmas, here is an email i got on tuesday from petrolprices.com

"Figures from PetrolPrices.com show that the price of unleaded has shot up 18.1p per litre in the last year. At the beginning of March 2007 a litre of unleaded cost 88p. Both unleaded and diesel are at record highs - unleaded is now 106.1p per litre and diesel is 112.5p.
If the Chancellor doesn't scrap the increase, and the conditions in the economy and the oil market continue, pump prices will hit £1.50 a litre this year - the equivalent to well over £6 a gallon. This would have a catastrophic effect on motorists, the haulage industry, and therefore inflation and the country as a whole."

:evil: scrapping the tolls on forth bridge and tay bridge was a bad idea!! i cross them only once or twice a year and did not mind paying the tolls now however we will all have to pay tax to cover the up keep of the bridges, surely the tolls covered repairs ect. (why should i pay extra tax for bridges that i do not use :twisted: )

i also believe all vehicles on our roads should pay road tax (just got my FREE road tax for the tractor through the post). in my opinion if a tractor is being driven on a road road tax should be payed
Colin Steele McRae, MBE (5 August 1968 – 15 September 2007)

we're here for a good time not a long time
if in doubt, flat out
imprezaspectator
Apprentice Frontera engineer
Apprentice Frontera engineer

Modifications: jeep cherokee xj, stripped out, 31" cooper tyres, 3" rough country suspension, custom air intake
Region: Scotland

Postby john (smifffy) on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:33 pm

Government abandons plans to charge foreign trucks

12 March 2008
One well-hidden part of the Budget sure to cause controversy is the fact the government has abandoned plans to charge foreign trucks for using the UK’s roads.

The decision was not announced in the Chancellor’s speech and indeed is not featured on the Treasury’s website. However, in an email to the FTA, the government says: “The conclusions of the Freight Data Feasibility Study will be published shortly, identifying that the options, including a vignette, would deliver limited safety, congestion, environmental and social benefits. The decision has therefore been taken not to progress a vignette at this time.

“Given this, the Government will not take forward a vignette at this time but will instead focus on improving the UK's enforcement system. To support this and understand better the movement of foreign vehicles within the UK, the Government will refresh the 2003 foreign vehicle data survey.”

The industry has been campaigning for some form of charge to help level the playing field against foreign operators, and to make them pay for using the UK’s roads, since the fuel protests of 2000. Initially the government promised the LRUC, but when that was abandoned in 2005 other schemes were suggested.

However, eight years later and it is no closer to coming with a solution to the problem, giving foreign trucks what the FTA describes as a “free ride” in the UK.

Dominic Perry
Email at dominic.perry@rbi.co.uk