// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - overheating - head gasket or oil cooler?

overheating - head gasket or oil cooler?

banter general discussions etc

overheating - head gasket or oil cooler?

Postby Richyhawes on Sun May 03, 2020 2:50 pm

Hi everybody, I'm a new member and have a problem with my frontera 2.2 diesel 1999. I've had it for 10 years and she's been a good old gal. However, the other day the top radiator hose blew out and then the car overheated. I've repaired the hose but it's still overheating and I had assumed that this was the gasket that had gone but looking at your forum I'm now not sure. It's used up 1 litre of oil and there is a lot of oil in the coolant but there doesn't appear to be any coolant in the oil. The oil cap is just oily, it doesn't have any creamy sludge at all. Does anyone have any opinions about how I can identify if it is the oil cooler or the head? Really appreciate any help you can give. Cheers, Richard
Richyhawes

Region: Southern England

Re: overheating - head gasket or oil cooler?

Postby robbie on Sun May 03, 2020 10:36 pm

Do a sniff test for head gasket, but normally oil in water is said to be oil cooler
robbie
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.5 TDS 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/R
Vehicle Name: The white 1
Modifications: 2.5 the white1
none of my own as yet . but i like wat you lot are doin so gettin very tempted :). chrome bighorn D bar, body kit
2.0 1997 the gold1.
chrome bull bar to be fitted along with tinted upper and lower rear light clusters, 255x75x15 on 5spoke early A alloys
2.0 1997 green1.
wrap round bull bars, side steps, 31x10.5x15 on trooper alloys
Region: North East

Return to General discussion