Breaking motors - certification

banter general discussions etc

Breaking motors - certification by Retro Pedro on Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:32 am
I've recently weighed in a motor for scrap at a registered breakers and was duly issued with a certificate.
So my question is, if you do a DIY break of a motor, how do you get around the issuing of a certificate? Is it something you can apply for yourself from the DVLA/VOSA or whoever the governing body is that deals with motors being registered scrapped or do you eternally have to annually register the now no existant motor for a fictious Sorn?
Got me thinking because I got hit with a fine for non declaration of a Sorn for a motor I bought for spares. My own fault because I tried to register it online and got a message that I couldn't and would have to register the Sorn by writing to the DVLA. At the time, incorrectly I thought happy days, it's not registered with me being the new owner yet, and I would have to apply for the Sorn when the amended registration documents arrive. £60 later I was wrong. :x
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera
 
Posts: 2715
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:34 am
Location: West Kent
Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.
Region: South East

Re: Breaking motors - certification by fronteramac on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:14 pm
since 1st oct if u buy cars to weigh in for scrap u have to apply for either site license or collectors license £150 so yr legal to do so ? not sure if this applys to u just for breaking yr own then wanting it scrapped just do as u did before and get the company u have dealt with ?
AKA..paulmac65 or maca even me mrs calls me that...MACA4X4
User avatar
fronteramac
How Many Posts
How Many Posts
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:29 pm
Location: litherland,liverpool
Model: 2.3 TD
Registration Year: 1994/L
Modifications: 2.3td lwb black suspension and body lift,33s on 10"modulars,alloy roofrack 4x8" blue tint spots on roof,dixie horns,cb radio,leather int,snorkel
2.8 td sport sold
new arrival l200 doublecab soon to be lifted and bigger tyres.
Region: North West

Re: Breaking motors - certification by Loneranger on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:39 pm
If you are not a business I believe nothing has changed.

If you are breaking a car / truck and then weigh in whats left they then just pay you by cheque. Then just write to dvla and say this vehicle has been broken for parts and is no longer on the road.

Our local scrappy wont give you a certificate if car isn't complete.

Job done.

That's how it works here in Northampton.

Pete
User avatar
Loneranger
frontera God
frontera God
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:45 pm
Location: East Hunsbury
Registration Year: 1995/N
Modifications: 3.1 swb Trooper
2 inch suspension lift
2 inch Body lift - pending
33" KL71 mud tyres
winch
extra strong front and rear bumpers
Region: Midlands


Return to General discussion

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests
cron