// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - When to say enough is enough

When to say enough is enough

banter general discussions etc

When to say enough is enough

Postby mudmonster on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:10 pm

Hi folks

Quick question that I feel can only be answered by Fronty owners....

Is there a point when you just have to say enough is enough, that the costs or repairs and keeping it on the road are no longer worth it, despite the pleasure you get from driving it ??

Having a low moment (more a getting it in the neck) after all the costs (full service, new exhaust (main dealer), new tyres, new carpet, other bits and pieces etc) to get it back on the road after a year in storage, and now got the replacement engine issue to contend with....

So any words of advice would be greatly appreciated
mudmonster
4WD
4WD

Re: When to say enough is enough

Postby Drift on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:35 pm

Most things you mention are just service items, thats until you get to the new engine bit.

It now just depends on the will you have to get a new engine, most people have had replacement engines and had virtually trouble free motoring, but one or two have had problems.
It would be best if you get some sort of warrenty with the engine, and while its out replace clutch and give everything a good going over, should save money in the future, just work out the cost as opposed to buying a new car.
Ste
FOG Administrator

Frontera Technical Support
Often Imitated Never Bettered

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk
Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Daddy's Car or Triggers Broom
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)
Region: North West

Postby alex on Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:51 pm

At the end of the day its your own question to answer. You could swap it for a hatch back thats a dog in disguise and have more bad luck. Conversley another Fronty or even another type of car could be a flawless purchase. Same again for the current one after the new engine.

Sorry to give you no help, but I'm not in your boots, all my previous cars went down the road as px at first sign of trouble. Its just these 2 Fronties I have now I'm spending time, tlc and money on.
Fronty no.4, pimp mobile Treg 3.2 LWB lifted 2.5"

Fronty no.5 2.8 swb hd coils +2" 31"machos.
alex
The Battering Ram

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Modifications: 3.2v6 LWB lifted on 31"at's "The Pimp mobile"

2.8 LWB
5" supension lift,
Body lift,
Manual hubs,
33" mudders,
Fixed Flywheel,
B&Q snorkle,
Flipped ball joints,
Procomp steering shocker,
Modified front bump stops,
Exhaust recirc removed,
EGR removed,
Cat removed,
Front diff lowered,
Dislocation cones,
Spring retainers,
Buckets 4 point harness,
The biggest cb twig you can get.
"The Beast"
Region: Midlands

Postby andysd1 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:14 pm

my pennys worth,
its the enjoyment of geting in her, and rolling down the road, (engine might not be running but she is rolling),
get a calibra and watch the bills mount up, after two years off the road she is moving, now 1 week driving and she has more problems,
think i will stick with the fronty, but will have to waite 2 months to get bits done,
some times you just got to, and the way i look at it is its my money im spending and i know what she needs and whats been done,
flying solo, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
andysd1
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: snake

Postby brachunky on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:55 pm

For me its a question of what the fronty means to you. If perhaps its your daily driver,then spending loads of dosh on constant repairs is hard to stomach.But.....if the fronty is your pastime,hobbie,mid life crisis etc etc :roll: , the I see it thru different eyes.
As a pastime you will always want better kit fitted because it makes the whole experience a pleasure and more competitive!New kit gives a new angle to your hobbie......every time :D Likewise spending money on repairs is not as painful because you "enjoy" your pastime!
My attitude is firstly.......I have one stab at an enjoyable life,
I dont smoke,do dwugs or have habits that cost me money,
I dont spend on fancy clothes or in the pub every night so leave me alone if I wanna spend on what I enjoy :wink:
Thats me 'umble opinion fer what its worth :lol:
Martin
brachunky
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: 1997 Jeep Cherokee 2.5 td VM
3 inch suspension lift
31 10.5 Muds
Safari Snorkel
Region: Midlands

Postby ernie1 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:40 pm

I sold a LWB 2.8 last year and have regretted it ever since,especially when I let it go for peanuts because it had a noisy turbo and a slipping clutch.If I worked out how much the cars I've been running since have cost I could have repaired the truck twice!!
If I was you I'd hang on in there,at least once it's been fixed it must be worth something rather than a pile of scrap
ernie1
Senior Frontera Engineer
Senior Frontera Engineer

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1996/P
Modifications: Camac A/T 40 chanel CB 2" sus lift For now!

Postby pidge on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:10 pm

nah a frontys for life not just for a mud hole! i bought mine for £400 and spent over £1500 on it (some things where toys!) but it runs fine and should do for a long time!!
COOKIE POSTS.....KEEP COOKIES AWAY FROM THE FOLLOWING!!!
rich2.4i and meooo!!
pidge
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/M
Modifications: bull bars, side steps, rear tints, dvd player with 4" tft screen,
carbon dash kit, bucket seats, monsa racing wheel,
dash neons, 10" sub box, 4 x fusion 6.5" speakers, lexus rear lights,
cb, and a front facing camera, cat 1 alarm with remote start!
Region: North East

Postby markta on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:34 pm

well mud monster
i have to say my dad is right sometimes :D
& hes favourite saying is 'better the dog you know,than the one you don't', might not be much help but add up what you spent on your fronty & what its going to cost you to buy another vehicle that you know nothing about (i.e in the same boat,spend,spend,spend).......hope this helps you a little as we cant make your mind up for you :)
my frontera 2.3 td is a slug in snails clothing ha
markta
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Postby madchef on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:28 am

Bought my Fronty due to old car failing.Got it from a "Friend" and the service history was "Excellent".
Got it overpriced as it had been fully rewired.7 month later it all went wrong.Bill for repairs stands at £900 but it was worth it.Will run for ages now and I would not get rid of it and if something goes wrong I will get it fixed again.
Sometimes cost does seem a lot and it never seems to end but all cars have faults/problems it just seems like yours costs more.
Stick with it and keep the faith!!
Andi
Rising out of Bedlam and into my own mad world! #@~#

SWB called Arfur Grunt
madchef
my other jobs the GWR Liaison Officer

Model: 2.5 TDS Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1997/R
Vehicle Name: Arfur Grunt
Region: Scotland

Postby mudmonster on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:26 pm

Many thanks one and all..... as the saying goes ''when in doubt - ask an expert, and if one of them isn't about ask a frontera owner'' ...... You've just helped confirm what I wanted to do and at least her problems are mine and I know about virtually all of them...... twas probably just the combined costs within the last 2 months that made me wobble a bit... but then when i balanced them out over the last 12 months, hey ho it looked soooooo much better...

So thanks again... now back to searching for a new engine
mudmonster
4WD
4WD

Postby Silver Ghost on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:22 pm

paid 900 for mine, had it a year, and spent over a grand on repairs, servicing and the likes, going back to garage saturday morning for a bad sqeak coming from one of the road wheels. i could list the things i have had done.

But my way of thinking, its a car i love, my hobby, and i think the A series is better than the B (just my opinion guys). So would like to keep mine going for as long as i can. before the inevitable, that i do have to upgrade. in that past, i have bought cars for £400 to £500 quid, with years tax and MOT and run it into the ground, scrapped it at the end of the year, saves MOT and re taxing, so overall cost was around £300 a year for motoring.

So i would say stick with it mate. because i think when your truck has gone, and you sit in something else, you will never have the feeling, you get with a fronty,

hope you stick with it.

sean
Silver Ghost
frontera God
frontera God

Model: 2.2i 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/S
Region: South East

Postby andysd1 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:45 pm

mudmonster wrote:Many thanks one and all..... as the saying goes ''when in doubt - ask an expert, and if one of them isn't about ask a frontera owner'' ...... You've just helped confirm what I wanted to do and at least her problems are mine and I know about virtually all of them...... twas probably just the combined costs within the last 2 months that made me wobble a bit... but then when i balanced them out over the last 12 months, hey ho it looked soooooo much better...

So thanks again... now back to searching for a new engine

did you say its a 2.4 as there is one by me, and he is looking around £150 to £200
flying solo, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
andysd1
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: snake

Return to General discussion