// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Car Broken Into, Cannot Turn Off Headlights.

Car Broken Into, Cannot Turn Off Headlights.

banter general discussions etc

Car Broken Into, Cannot Turn Off Headlights.

Postby slimeskul on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:58 pm

I’m hoping General Discussion is the right are for this, as it covers a few different areas.

Someone broke into my sisters 1992 2.0l Frontera Sport. They damaged the O/S door locks & ripped off the ignition barrel. The car can now be started just by turning what’s left of the ignition assembly with a screwdriver.
I’m currently in the process of finding a (cheap) ignition assembly but what worries me is that the headlights are constantly on, even when the car is not running & is obviously draining the battery, which I have had to disconnect. I guess something must have been damaged when the thieving sods damaged the ignition assembly/barrel.

My question is, does anyone know what might be causing the lights to be constantly on? When I press the “headlight on” button, it doesn’t make a difference as the lights are on, but does turning it off does nothing. Brights work, they go on & off. I have a bad feeling it might have to be an electrical engineer job, but just hoping someone might have some “bright” ideas on an easy & inexpensive fix.

Also, the sunroof leaks, gonna try a bit of Vaseline on the seal is there anything else anyone may suggest or have a spare seal for sale? And possibly a driver side lock & ignition assembly with the appropriate keys for sale? Cheapest I can find is £80+……

Cheers,
slime
slimeskul

Postby Drift on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:50 pm

The main beam in the cowling near the barrel could be damged and shorting together keeping the main beam lit.
Im no expert in auto electrics but as faw as I am awere the main beam overides the light switch.

£80 seems a bit expensive ??????
Ste
FOG Administrator

Frontera Technical Support
Often Imitated Never Bettered

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk
Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Daddy's Car or Triggers Broom
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)
Region: North West

Postby FUDDY MUCKER on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:59 pm

I got a full set of locks, which includes both doors, rear door and ignition barrel.

Give me a PM.
FUDDY MUCKER
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Region: Midlands

Postby Ruathar on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:07 pm

I would go with Drift and say it is more than likely to be the wiring in the stearing column that is damaged. Is fairly common in theft and attempted theft to need to rewire the column or at least do some repairs.

You may be lucky and it may just be damage to the barrel causing switching problems, try removing the ignition barrel completely and see if the headlights stay on?
'99 3.2V6 Auto Limited.
Some day it will be how I want it to be...
Ruathar
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Modifications: K&N Panel Filter, modified breaking system, modified air intake, performance oil and fuel filters, custom exhaust/manifolds/cats, rebuilt engine with performance parts, custom performance gaskets all round, custom light weight fly wheel, custom modded chip, now pushing 330+bhp. Needs new custom drive chain, modded body to take wider tyres, wider wheels and tyres and will then be complete other than the lift, mud tyres, rock sliders, and everything else I can think of....

Postby outergods on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:07 pm

i would guess the column switch is damaged. there is an override in the column switch for the lights so that they can be flashed when the head lights are off.

Follow the wire bundle down the column to a large block connector and disconnect it, if they go off, thats your problem. just make sure you follow the switch wires and not the ignition wires, they are separate.

The switch is easy to replace. Steering wheel off, column plastics off, 2 screws out and unplug it. refitting is the reverse.

Hope thta helps and hope it sorts it.

Matt
2.8TDI Sport. - 3" lift, 31" Recip Trials, Roof Rack, High Lift, Winch.
outergods
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Re: Car Broken Into, Cannot Turn Off Headlights.

Postby slimeskul on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:39 am

Ok, long delay in update, too long & boring to explain so please accept my apologies.

Right, I've taken off the steering wheel, removed the plastic cowling & the damage has been done to the ignition assembly & also to the circuit board for the headlight.

So I figured it be easier to replace the whole assembly.
Went down the breaker & can't find an identical one, plus it seems that the bolts to take it off are some special ones which I think I might have to drill off (But really hope I dont) see pic 1, blue square. The red square is the part the sods snapped off so the metal part needs to be replaces.

The 2nd pic has the circuit board that is broken which I figure has messed up the lights.

I hoping someone has the entire assembly which I can just resolder onto my sisters Frontera once having removed this broken one.

Also, the last picture is of the sunroof where is seems to leak. The car is parked at a bit of an angle so I think the water pools in the corner there in the gap. Is that gap supposed to be there? The local garage (Cardiff) wants to charge £300 for a "water test"........

Cheers,
David

slimeskul

Postby Trugga on Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:38 am

The blue square shows a security type "snap bolt" - the hex head will have snapped off when the bolt reached the correct tightness. You can see another bolt in the same picture that I guess has been replaced at some time.

It should be possible to undo the bolt by tapping it round with a hammer and chisel (carefully) and then replace it with a normal bolt (and spring washer)

Looks like you need a new ignitian switch assembly and switch stalk - scrap yard or a shout out in the FOG wanted section.

Lawrence
Trugga
Da Prof!
Da Prof!

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/L
Vehicle Name: Little Blue Bug
Modifications: # ARB Winch bumper
# Wireless operated Warn Winch
# Jackable rockslider sills
# Safety Devices roll cage
# Roof level tree bars
# Roof mounted waffle boards
# Underbody protection
# Smaller, higher fuel tank
# Buttock tuck with protectors
# Cobra Aqua4x4 competition seats
# 3-point harnesses
# Terratrip
# GTE digital dash
# Bonnet pins
# AVM manual front hubs
# FIA battery master switch
# Ally Chequerplate footwells
# De-Cat, straight thro' zorst
# 2" Lift, +2" Rough Country shocks

Postby Stonker on Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:52 pm

Have Frontera's got parking lights? normally if you switch the lights off after the ignition, they stay on as parking lights. Well thay have in other cars anyway!
Could this be something to do with the ignition?

As for the sunroof, I have the same problem. I think I'll need a new seal from Vauxhall.
Stonker
4WD
4WD

Registration Year: 1998/S

Postby Red Oktober on Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:55 pm

as far as i know none of the frontera's have parking lights
Red Oktober
Retired

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Region: South West

Postby Stonker on Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:02 pm

That eliminates that then!
Stonker
4WD
4WD

Registration Year: 1998/S

Return to General discussion