// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - South West Airfield Exploration

South West Airfield Exploration

South of Birmingham

Yeovil to cornwall incl sw
Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

South West Airfield Exploration

Postby taylor6632 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:39 pm

So today whilst out playing about in the trucks, myself and Tim discovered a byway that runs through an abandoned airfield near Bath. As we ran out of time today, we're keen to go back there tomorrow and play seeing as its supposed to be nice! The terrain looks very tame and more of dust tracks (mud if raining) to get about, however, there are some big hills to climb and it looks as if someone has sculpted an area perfect for 4x4's.

So we'll probably be heading out tomorrow morning and taking a bit of lunch. Not your day of serious off roading, more tame, sun, chilled out and good photo op. I know not many people near us really so one or two others might be fun and will keep any convoy situation at bay.

Let us know :D
taylor6632
frontera God
frontera God

Registration Year: 1996/N
Modifications: 3.1 Trooper, 2" suspension lift, 2" body lift, 33" cooper stt muds, egr removed, cb radio
Region: South West

Re: South West Airfield Exploration

Postby Wilberforce on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:56 pm

Just bear in mind (and my apologies for sounding like a party-pooper here) that abandoned or not, the airfield is very likely to be private property.
As with byways that cross farmland, etc, the right of way is on the byway only (deviation to bypass a blockage is generally acceptable) and going off track should be assumed to be trespassing unless you know for certain otherwise.
Jim...

South East Picnic site information

| Jessica - 2002 Isuzu Trooper Insignia LWB | 3.1 ltr hybrid conversion |
Wilberforce
The stick insect
The stick insect

Registration Year: 2002/51
Vehicle Name: Jessica
Region: North West

Re: South West Airfield Exploration

Postby gregster on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Unless you have permission from the landowner, the byway is the ONLY part of this that you are legally allowed to be on...

There is no such thing as abandoned or disused land, it all belongs to someone irrespective if they use it on not, and hence your being on it in your truck without expressed permission would be trespassing and could land you with vehicle confiscation and prosecution from the police.

Old airfields are great places to explore, on foot, and have great atmostpheres,
but without some evidence that use of 4x4 vehicles off the byway on the land there is allowed then we cannot allow this to be organised here on FOG,
as we as a group do not condone any illegal offroading, and hate the w4nkers that think every bit of land adjacent to a byway is a free of charge pay-n-play for them to wreck.
It gets all of us who enjoy laning a bad name, gets our lanes closed, and criminally damages peoples property.

Please do your research mate and contact one of the admin/mods team with any proof you can find that confirms that vehicular usage of this land/tracks is authorised, until then the thread is locked.
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery