// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - EPC loading - Java JRE issues potentially

EPC loading - Java JRE issues potentially

EPC loading - Java JRE issues potentially

Postby Retro Pedro on Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:11 pm

Request for a bit of I.T. advice regarding running EPC
On the two disc, I've got an original copy of EPC 2005 version which I used to run it OK on my now deceased tower computer. The only issue I had was that it appeared blank of the bottom of the page, a bit like a white out picture box was across it.
Recently, via the same original disc, I've loaded it on to this laptop and now it won't load the diagrams. Keeps telling me to download them which it appears to confirm as happened because the download runs to the 'finished' box. This happens every time and I still can't see the diagrams. I can see all the lead in tables and can even see the part numbers, but no diagrams.

This is the message I get when trying to load the pictures:

The ProQuest Image Plugin is required to view the catalog images. You do not have the Image Plugin installed.

Click here to download the ProQuest Image Plugin.

You will need to restart your web browser after installing the ProQuest Image Plugin.

When I initially started the load EPC on this laptop, it came up with a message that I should install Java JRE (Java Runtime Environment). Again, it goes through the motions of loading the JRE through to the 'finish' box.
On this lappy and the old desktop, the OP is/was Windows XP.
One thought is that perhaps the Java JRE download is for newer 64bit computers and this is a 32bit so JRE doesn't load properly. Just a thought.
I've also tried loading EPC on a newer lappy that is 64bit running Windows 7 but that computer doesn't allow the program to load. I get an error message at initial install.
I've also tried it on another older lappy and the same thing as this lappy except that I can't even get as far as the part numbers. On that lappy I get the local host panel comes up and a message comes up about allowing 'pop ups'. It then goes onto allowing INTRANET settings as opposed INTERNET or something similar. At that point it loses me.
If anybody living relatively near to me wants to have a go at loading EPC on their computer, I would happily lend you the EPC discs to see if you have better success.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.
Region: South East

Re: EPC loading - Java JRE issues potentially

Postby Wilberforce on Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:04 am

There is both a 32 and 64 bit version of Java, Pete.
One thing for future reference, is try installing Windows XP in a virtual machine and run EPC from there. Something like virtualbox from Sun.
Jim...

South East Picnic site information

| Jessica - 2002 Isuzu Trooper Insignia LWB | 3.1 ltr hybrid conversion |
Wilberforce
The stick insect
The stick insect

Registration Year: 2002/51
Vehicle Name: Jessica
Region: North West

Postby stretch on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:33 am

exactly what jim says i have epc but it runs on xp virtual box.
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped
Region: East Anglia

Postby Retro Pedro on Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:14 am

Wilberforce wrote:There is both a 32 and 64 bit version of Java, Pete.
One thing for future reference, is try installing Windows XP in a virtual machine and run EPC from there. Something like virtualbox from Sun.

Thanks Jim and Brian for responses
OK, just so that I get in right, do I have to reload Windows XP again via vitualbox - if yes, is it a free download or will I get hit for a payment for the windows . Would I have to do a complete disc wipe before reloading Windows or would it run in tandam with my version that is already loaded?

Or, can I leave the lappy as it is, find virtualbox, download that and then try to load the EPC via virtual box?

Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate your help guys with this, but me belonging to the wrinkly club, I'm a bit green behind the gills when it comes to I.T. Can get there but I have to do it step by step - slowly - :roll: or call in the 12 year old grand-daughter :angel:
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Postby Wilberforce on Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:55 am

Yes, you'll have to reinstall Windows XP if you go down the VirtualBox route, but you won't have to wipe your hard disk first or anything like that.
EPC predates Windows 7 by a considerable margin, and that's probably why it plays silly sods - Win 7 just doesn't do things quite right even in compatibility mode.

VirtualBox is a program you install onto your computer, and it allows you to then install and setup other operating systems without affecting your main one. It basically pretends to be a shiny new PC, and you can have as many of them as you like. It's developed by Oracle now, so a reputable company, and a good bit of software.
You acquire it from Virtualbox website, choose the link labelled VirtualBox for Windows hosts, then install onto your computer . After that, there's a nice little wizard included which walks you through setting up a new virtual machine, then you can pop Win XP onto it and start and stop it as you wish. Even if you make a complete hash of the Windows XP system it makes no difference because you can just delete the machine and make a new one without any hassle or risk to your Windows 7 system.

Assuming you had a legal copy and product key for the Windows XP that your dead tower used to run, you can get away with using that, or else there are ways and means :wink:
Jim...

South East Picnic site information

| Jessica - 2002 Isuzu Trooper Insignia LWB | 3.1 ltr hybrid conversion |
Wilberforce
The stick insect
The stick insect

Registration Year: 2002/51
Vehicle Name: Jessica
Region: North West

Postby Retro Pedro on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:27 pm

Cheers Jim
I'll dismiss trying it on the newest lappy running Windows 7 - that should get rid of the compatibility problem from the older EPC software plus I'll get a right kick in the fork from the enemy if I balls that machine up.
I'll give it a go on this old spare Fujitsu running Windows XP - not a problem if it goes Pete Tong on this lappy.
Seems that if I load with the 'official' original Windows XP discs that I've got to hand won't be a problem. I think you have to register online once the reload is complete, so should I quote the number that's labelled on the back of tha lappy, or the number from the XP discs?
If that's going to be problematical, perhaps P.M.ing the 'alternatives ways and means' could resolve any problems :shh:
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby DavidF on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:28 am

If you are using the licence key on the back of the machine, make sure you are installing the correct version, or the licence won't work (i.e. you cannot use XP Home licence on a XP Pro version, or MCE).

If you go to JAVA.COM you should be able to download the correct version of Java for your machine. As for the other error you are getting, then try clicking the link to install "ProQuest Image Plugin" as it requests. There seem to be a lot of other places to get it from, but the dealer for the software may be able to provide a copy for free, if all else fails.
DavidF
2WD
2WD

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Region: International

Return to PC & Technology discussion