// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - how much is 40 g of internet

how much is 40 g of internet

how much is 40 g of internet

Postby drinksoptional on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:30 pm

I had a call from sky about changing my sky to new house , now they said i cannot get my unlimited package i had before but i could get a 40g limited a month one . Im not a happy bunny .

Is 40g alot i know little about all this mb and G stuff.

i use it forum , youtube and online gamming via my beloved xbox

Wife uses it for her uni stuff aswell as social sites .

We dont dowload dvds or music
How long would it last with the xbox and like
1989 Isuzu Trooper 2.6 (3.1 conversion )
1990 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus Edition Hi roof 2.8td
1998 Vauxhall Omega Estate Elite 3.0 v6
drinksoptional
Its My Avatar Get Your Own

Region: Scotland

Re: how much is 40 g of internet

Postby PaulHooligan on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:36 pm

You might very well struggle with 40gb cap. Have you tried another isp? Depending on where you are o2/BE are the best for price IF you have an o2 mobile.
PaulHooligan
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 2.2 DTi 16v RS Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Vehicle Name: Brian The B Series
Modifications: 2" lift, Rebel Power pipes stainless snorkel, 3 Spoke "A" series alloys with Matador mp71 Izzarda tyres
Region: East Anglia

Postby gregster on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Bloody metric eurocrap...whats 40g in proper pounds and ounces! :shock:
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.
Region: South East

Postby Dannyboy on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Think its about.. <-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> that much mate!? :lol:
IF ITS NOT BROKE, YOUR NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH!!
STRATA 2012- WE CAME, WE SAW, WE KICKED ITS ASS! (even if it got wrinkled in the bombhole!)
BAR STED LANE 2012- BEEN THERE DONE THAT! NEXT....
Dannyboy
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.5 TDS 5dr
Registration Year: 1998/R
Modifications: 2"supension lift
Ball joints flipped
265/75/16 insa turbos
55mm wheel spacers
spare wheel carrier removed
black perspex bonnet guard
modified tank gaurd
welded rear bumper and recovery point
egr removed and running on chip fat!! :)
Region: Midlands

Postby vauxsqueeks on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi,
It gets a bit complicated but for the purposes of easy calculation.

1GB = 1000 MB

so 40gb cap = 40,000 MB

This would be ok for light users, but if you use YouTube or download movies / BBc iplayer etc will eat into that a lot.
Fronty B, 2002 3.2 V6

Now Gone
Fronty B, 2004 2.2 DTi Olympus (SD04) viewtopic.php?f=18&t=57397 -- Best DTH upgrade ever Tuning Box
Fronty B, 2001 2.2i SWB Limited (Y48 ) viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50727
Fronty B, 1999 2.2i LWB Limited (V924)
Fronty B, 1998 2.2i LWB Limited (T934) viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48369
Fronty A, 1995 2.4l LWB

"There are NO silly questions... Just expensive mistakes"
vauxsqueeks
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Region: South East

Postby Wilberforce on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:42 pm

I dunno, 40Gb isn't a small amount... Assuming your PC is reasonably recent Stu, that's about 10-20% of your hard drive's total capacity.

I have my BB supplied by way of PlusNet, and I'm on their 60Gb a month package, cos 20Gb a month I knew wouldn't be enough. I don't know just how much overhead Xbox Live generates, but unless you're watching videos on YouTube pretty much constantly, 40Gb a month should be plenty. Forum, social sites, general browsing and stuff really doesn't use much bandwidth and if you don't go in for downloading films or music, I think you'll be fine. It *IS* worth checking what you'll be charged should you go over this though, just to be on the safe side.

My usage tends to come in at about 35Gb a month, which covers general browsing, FOG, social stuff, comics like Dilbert that I read, an assortment of podcasts that I listen to, BBC Iplayer & YouTube, iTunes app downloads, film clips, game patches, even complete operating systems sometimes. Up to you really.
It may be worth calling Sky's bluff on this, threatening to cancel your subscription and see what happens. Say you want the same deal that they're offering to new subscribers, perhaps, or just carry on as you are at the new address..
Works with mobile phone companies, so you never say yes to the first offer they make.

---Edit---
Maybe ask the people on the end of the phone to look at your qaccount, and see how much you've actually used. Any halfway decent ISP should be able to say "Yes Mr Bloggs, this month you've used XXX amount, last month was XXX, and the month before that was XXX"
Jim...

South East Picnic site information

| Jessica - 2002 Isuzu Trooper Insignia LWB | 3.1 ltr hybrid conversion |
Wilberforce
The stick insect
The stick insect

Registration Year: 2002/51
Vehicle Name: Jessica
Region: North West

Postby drinksoptional on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:59 am

We moving house I am on a monthly contract with sky have been since last sept so im not tied to any 12month contract crap . They said its BT that put the restriction. I dont download movies or music nor use it for tv etc. I use it mostly for browsing and forums watchin youtube i know youtube will eat into to it
i read 4hours of gamming eqaul 2.25gb. I was offered the 40g for a tenner a month its normally 17 quid
im switching to a more rural address there is no cable either no deal to be done with virgin they wanted stupid money just to connect. The way it stood i told sky i wanted to cancel as we didnt want the tv package anymore an she passed my to cancelation who cut me off during the call have to phone the morra
After a bit of reading since this post talk talk seemed the best deal but the reviews were crap. We thinking keeping the monthly contract deal which i can cancel after a month and see how we get on with the 40gb. I use my mobile for forums and fb i barley use 200mb in a month thats with three network the comiunity center has an IT suit/libary so that well help.
drinksoptional

Postby Wilberforce on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:32 am

I can't believe online gaming uses anything like that much Stu...
A quick bit of digging online gives numbers of about 30-40Mb per hour, unless you're downloading a shedload of patches, or demos, etc. So, allowing for a few hours a day, maybe 5-7Gb per month?
YouTube, or any video service online, will eat into your allowance but you can always choose to watch things at a lower quality - you don't always need to watch YouTube at HD resolution. If you don't watch catchup TV online, then I still say 40Gb a month will do.

Like I said, ask for a breakdown of usage for recent months, this will tell you in no uncertain terms whether what they're offering is enough. ISP's have to pay for the amount of data they use, so records will exist, if only so that for those on capped, or "fair usage" type plans, they know who to send the letters to.
Unfortunately until the providers snap out of the "race to the bottom" phase, trying to offer punters the world for £1.99 a month, you're always going to get some crap reviews.
Jim...

South East Picnic site information

| Jessica - 2002 Isuzu Trooper Insignia LWB | 3.1 ltr hybrid conversion |
Wilberforce
The stick insect
The stick insect

Registration Year: 2002/51
Vehicle Name: Jessica
Region: North West

Postby bowthruster on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:27 pm

I can tell you that 40 Gig doesnt last that long from experience.I use laptop for a bit of youtube,general surfing etc,but my eldest boy is on the Xbox live nearly every night for 3 hours,and for the last 3months ive gone over my 40g limit(BT),and the've charged me £5 per extra 5gig,but i refuse to pay the extra to move up to unlimited.So in a nutshell if youre careful 40g might be ok,but then again online gaming......... :shock:
bowthruster
Apprentice Frontera engineer
Apprentice Frontera engineer

Model: 2.2i 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Modifications: Nothing yet......
Region: East Anglia

Postby drinksoptional on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:12 pm

My online gaming is my time out at night after boys asleep an wifes studing trust me its therapy . The wee man has autism days can long so killing time on xbox helps me relax .

I do online banking pay bills online etc .

The wife connects to the UNI servers for well her law stuff etc.

I down graded the sky pakcage i mean paying nearly a tenner for hdtv that i dont watch or need kept the enterianment that has kids chanel and discovery n that. Down graded phone off that £5 unlimter stuff to basic got the line rental down to £3.00 a month
I called them today they said i will get speed of between 3.9-8.0mps

The B connect is £17 more for less doesnt make sense an no £10 deal was offered yesterday :? im sure she said £7 for BB .

I will take it see how it goes if it no good then will have another look im not bothered about the xbox i can cope with couple of hours a month long as the wife gets enough her uni
drinksoptional

Return to PC & Technology discussion