// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - norton internet security 2011

norton internet security 2011

norton internet security 2011

Postby Rich on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:15 pm

my mate as install this on his computer and now it will not open internet explorer even the short cut for ie as gone the icon in the bottom right show connected to the internet but there is no internet access

does anyone know how to fix this problem

Rich
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.5 TDS 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/R
Vehicle Name: Frontera with no name
Modifications: 2.5 the only mod is a 2inch lift
Region: Midlands

Re: norton internet security 2011

Postby AskDean on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:02 pm

yes uninstall norton and throw it in the tell your mate to give his head a wobble for buying it and tell him to install either avg either the free or paid version or like i use eset nod 32 smart secuirty as this is as good as it gets for home users as it is a corporate solution.

norton has shut down his firewall so it is not open and so he needs to diable the firewall and set it to ask when an attempt to connect to the out side world. this way it shoul dpop p a message going skype is trying to connect aloow or deny and it he will have to do it for every thing.

nod32 is £70 ish for 2 years and this is what i used as a corporate solution with over 300 machines in the offices in the uk and prague.
AskDean
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 2001/51
Vehicle Name: The Big Black Beasty
Modifications: LWB Unlimited 3.2 V6, Cloth , +3 Lift spring, rough country nitro +2 shocks, cat back stainless steel exhaust, AT's, 135w led spots, twin pump fed air horns, Sony 1400w explod sub, Solar and LPG converted, fridge in the back, a leggy blonde in the passenger seat and little old me at the wheel.

Postby kees on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:16 pm

When we got the other half's laptop the saleaman (p c world) said it comes with a free norton antivires, Would we like them to install it she told them that if they did she would insert it up there #### with out any ky jelly. :lol: :lol: . We threw the unopened norton in the bin as we walked out the door. We have avg on both laftops.
Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs
kees
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Modifications: Current: 1997 3.5 V6 Pajero

Now sold, A series Frontera.
Should be a 2.2i but is a 1.8i
FOG sticker
2" coil spacers and wound up front
1997/ p reg 2.2i
Now sold.
Region: International

Postby AskDean on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:40 pm

for free you cant beat avg and for a little more money if you know your going places that are going to be suspect like downloading stuff all the time i would go for eset smart security 4 as it is as bullet proof as you can get for a home pc without needing a masters degree

http://www.eset.co.uk/Home

thy dop a 30 day free trial trust me it is good.
AskDean
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: LWB Unlimited 3.2 V6, Cloth , +3 Lift spring, rough country nitro +2 shocks, cat back stainless steel exhaust, AT's, 135w led spots, twin pump fed air horns, Sony 1400w explod sub, Solar and LPG converted, fridge in the back, a leggy blonde in the passenger seat and little old me at the wheel.

Postby RatCav on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:26 am

I use Norton 2011 on my desktop, the wifes laptop and the grandfather-in-laws desktop. All run fine with no hassles what-so-ever. Don't even have to mess around with settings either. Just install and away you go. I don't use AVG at all. I used it once and regretted it so much after about 3 monthhs. Spent more time removing viruses that had sneaked past AVG without me noticing and played merry hell ... I even had to go to the symantec website to get the instant fixs to remove them. Net result was I spent the £25 for Norton 2011 with 3 licenses, re-formatted my hard drive, re-installed windows and never looked back.
ImageImage

My members ride For Banshee the Trooper : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=34626

My members ride for Leeloo the Lotus Edition viewtopic.php?f=46&t=60154

Deceased

My members ride for Brenda the Bighorn : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=54771
RatCav
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Vehicle Name: Banshee
Modifications: Its a Frontera that is heavily disguised as a Mk.1 LWB Isuzu Bighorn 2.8TD Lotus Edition.
Hi-roof modification.
EGR valves and birds nest of vacuum pipes removed.
Front Manual Locking Hubs.
Rear Limited Slip Differential.
Yota Surf steels, with custom paintjob. (cheers Gregster)
33x12.5" R15 General Grabber AT 2's.
+2" suspension lift.
+3" body lift.
Cat 1 Thatcham approved alarm.
Irmscher wheel arch flares.
Full body restoration/respray. (cheers Gregster again!)
Region: North West

Postby Big Dav on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:30 am

I use Norton - so far its been fine. It was quick at alerting a copycat e-mail and was going to auto-junk it but as the copy cat had a known contact address gave us the option of acceptiong or not.
The owner of the senders address had a lesser protection system that didn't stop the attack.
Kodiak Transglobe 2.0 SWB

Bricks are the knowledge you are taught,
the cement is the experience you gain that holds them together.
Big Dav
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Modifications: Fitted - inclinometer, ice alert, wildlife whistle, drawbar/50mm towball;7781
Region: Scotland

Postby BoxCleva on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:52 am

I think Rich was looking for a solution to the problem, rather than a debate on which AV you prefer.

Rich,
Uninstalling Norton may well we prudent. Go to control panel / programs and uninstall it. Then run the Symantec removal tool to tidy up and left overs. http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_vie ... 10133834EN

If Internet Explorer is no longer in the programs list you can get a copy by clicking on My Computer, Local Disc hard drive (usually C: ) , program files. Locate the Internet Explorer folder and open it up. You should see a blue E icon called iexplore. Right click on this and select the Send to option , then Desktop Create shortcut.

I would run an online scan before trying to reinstall another anti virus product. http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner or http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/.

Once you have done the above you can install an anti virus of your choice.
BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Location: North Wales, not to far from the Wayfarer- Between Wrexham and Oswestry
Vehicle Name: sack o sheet
Modifications: Beemer e46
Region: North West

Postby AskDean on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:12 pm

i did suggest altering the firewall as this will be what has caused it to stop allowing internet access to the browsers as it has been known to do this i have had to alter 4 peoples so far on norton nad 3 on other AV software after updating AV options after being called out and to fix a wifi issue only to find firewall after av update closing firewall down and not wifi issue as first thought.

one had click disable interent traffic on a pop up after nstalling some softeware said diasble antivirus and he disable the internet traffic by mistake and then dissable the AV then when finished the install put the AV back on didnt put the internet back on

i find it is general a PICNIC (problem in chair not in computer)
AskDean
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Rich on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:05 pm

good posting Si

Rich
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.5 TDS 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/R
Vehicle Name: Frontera with no name
Modifications: 2.5 the only mod is a 2inch lift

Postby adyclemo on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:59 pm

I personnaly dont have any issues wth Norton. Used it last year and was happy with it and would have used it this year but i got Kaspersky courtesy of our rep at work :lol: . I have Webroot installed on the lappy which again was free courtesy of our rep and i wouldnt recomend Webroot unless i thought you were a d***k and wanted a laugh at your expense. Unless i get a better offer in October i will be staying with Kaspersky, i see a lot less machines infected with Kaspesky and it has a much smaller footprint than most of the others so not to impact on performance .

However i do believe most machines become infect through peoples own stupidity and dont put thier brain into gear before clicking on those lovely and tempting links.

As i say at work the problem is between the keyboard and the chair.
Regards Ady

Pics of the motor can be found here

Comment on the motor here
adyclemo
frontera God
frontera God

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Modifications: Relocated diff breathers to engine bay.
Cycle carrier made for spare wheel carrier.
Steel wheels changed for alloys.
Full lenght roof rack.
Front tow bar.
CB.
Manual locking hubs.
Front and rear wrap round bull bars.
Suspension lift.
32" BFG's
Snorkle.
Egr delete

Postby Postfinder on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:54 pm

Same goes for me Andy, using Norton 2011 now, no bugs, no difference to speed and does what it says on the box.
Using it on two lappys and got it fer about a tenner with online vouchers, and will be getting it again next year.
Maybe some people base there knowledge on previous editions, who knows, but it works for me.
G.
Postfinder
Move the tree Postfinder is here

Modifications: The biggest hazard to my truck is Me.

"there is nothing wrong with getting a Sport airborne, bad things only happen when you land"!!

Postby Mr Mud on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:06 am

For the last nine years I've used Firefox as my browser and my e-mail is Thunderbird along with the paid version of AVG and I have never have any problems...years ago I had the so called FREE version of Norton and what a load of crap totally lugged my laptop down to a snails pace, I'll never use it again.
1998/S Frontera 2.0i Sport Transglobe

Mr Mud
frontera God
frontera God

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1998/S
Vehicle Name: Hippo#2
Modifications: K&N Air Filter.
Wind Deflectors.
Xenon HID Lights.
LWB Rear Light Conversion.
Rear Bumper Light Guards Fitted.
Falken-RV Landair AT Traction Tyres
New Coil Springs And 2" Suspension Lift By MG Autos
Region: South East

Postby Bigga on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:28 am

Comodo internet security,complete package plus its free and works a treat ! my tuppence worth ! :D
Bigga
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/X
Region: South East

Return to PC & Technology discussion