// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - proccessor failure symptoms

proccessor failure symptoms

proccessor failure symptoms

Postby Kevin1964 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi all you techno guys
Right i would like to explain something that i am experiencing with my desktop.

I have suddenly got a dead pc by way of having no screen display or usage of either optical drive.

Heres what happens...When i boot up the pc cpu and case fans operate but when i go to eject a cd or dvd i can't open either draw but i can open them if i disconnect the ide cable one at a time.

I have no display showing

fdd drive appear not to be working.

I was told it is a motherboard problem so i renewed it only to have the exact same problem only this time on the new board i can't turn the pc off using the front panel button.

Do these types of probs arrise if a CPU fails ??
Kevin1964
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Region: Southern England

Re: proccessor failure symptoms

Postby domino on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Have you checked the ram?

Always narrow down the point of failure. Start with a bare-bones system:

1) Install RAM
2) Install CPU
3) Install GFX (better if you have onboard)
4) Plug in power rails and power up.

If that works, then it's a fault with your other bits (drives, et al)

If not, try removing the RAM and starting again. Take a note of any beeps you hear (number of beeps and duration). Always keep an eye on the screen for any kind of activity. It'll go more 'black' or a bleached black if there's activity - this helps rule out problems with GFX.
Astra 1.9 CDTI SRi slightly tickled ;) | Frontera 2.5 TDS Transglobe
domino
Sleeper

Model: 2.5 TDS Transglobe 5dr
Registration Year: 1998/R
Region: Scotland

Postby Kevin1964 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi Domino
Yep did that yesterday as a process of illimination..I was instructed to check my CPU on another computer to see if its that but i can't coz i don't know anyone who has the 775 socketed pc. What i did was to just bid on a cheap pentium proccessor of the same socket type (775) and try that so i did and won it so will have to see if its the CPU thats causing these faults

This is the test CPU i just won on ebay...small i know but a test cpu

Intel Celeron D 336 Processor 2.8ghz (775 Socket)

Tested Reliable Processor

Listed is am Intel Celeron D Processor with a clock speed of 2.80ghz an FSB of 533mhz and 256kb Cache. The processor fits LGA775 Socket Motherboards. Full specification available:

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27119
Kevin1964
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Norse on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:52 pm

its very unlikely the CPU is dead

Try removing all the ram freom the pc then booting it up, it should beep basically to say no ram present, if it doesnt, likelyhood is the motherboard is dead

Also make sure if you take the CPU off, that you plug the CPU fan back into the correct place
Fronty has been named "Ugly Thing" by GF!

IT support/Advice just ask me

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=46803 New ride, that the GF Hates!
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=36187 old ride (traded with alchamist)
Norse
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/L
Vehicle Name: Big Ugly Red Thing (BURT)
Modifications: Jays old Devil/Ugly Red Thing
+2" Sus Lift
+2" Body Lift
DIY Snorkle
4x55 Watt Light bar (also has amber flashers)
Shedload of stickers
31" Kingpin Technic Muds on pepperpots

To do
Boot Organiser construction
Remove spare wheel holder
Perhaps a CB
Paint Bash Plates, Towbar, bumpers and misc other bits
Clean it/make it red not slightly pink in pics!

Postby domino on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:52 pm

Fingers crossed then :)

Don't rule out the PSU being knackered btw.. they can cause all sorts of problems.
Astra 1.9 CDTI SRi slightly tickled ;) | Frontera 2.5 TDS Transglobe
domino
Sleeper

Model: 2.5 TDS Transglobe 5dr
Region: Scotland

Postby Kevin1964 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:00 pm

New motherboard & RAM fitted but using old CPU but still has the exact same faults as my old motherboard...Tested PSU voltages yesterday and all appears as normal from the PSU...First thing i do is check over the connections before i turn the pc on...I had RAM out and still didn't get a beep code but surley two boards wouldn't share the same falts??

Whats the best way of checking the PSU for correct operation coz i meter tested the voltages on all the leads yesterday
Kevin1964
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Drift on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:00 pm

Mine went in a similar fashion, it was the Graphics card, ended up getting a new pc.
Ste
FOG Administrator

Frontera Technical Support
Often Imitated Never Bettered

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk
Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Daddy's Car or Triggers Broom
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)
Region: North West

Postby huggy on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:38 pm

sounds like a psu problem :wink: you can get psu testers very cheap on ebay,good tool to have. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories
huggy
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 2.5 TDS 5dr
Modifications: 2 Inch Suspension Lift
CB Radio

Postby Kevin1964 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:03 pm

Went and got a psu tester from Maplins this evening to check the power levels and all is ok with the psu voltages so i think the psu can be ruled out.

What does a proccessor actually control on the motherboard.because its too much of a coinsidence for me to think both boards including the new one are dead due to the exact same faults ??

The items listed below are not working

Optical drives don't eject as they should unless you pull the ide cable out of the unit.
FDD drive seems inoperative
No screen display
No beep codes present upon start up even if i remove the RAM modules for example
Kevin1964
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Kevin1964 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:34 pm

How do these proccessors fair in todays market??

Intel Core2 Duo E6320 1.86 GHz Processor 775 CPU 4mb L2
Kevin1964
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby huggy on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:51 am

Kevin1964 wrote:How do these proccessors fair in todays market??

yup good cpu for the price,and it can be overclocked to 3 ghz with a good cooler and still be very stable,some people have even ran them at 3.2 ghz but i think thats pushing it a bit,im running a e8400 which still not so cheap but runs very well,mine is overclocked from 3 ghz to 3.6ghz and the temps dont even change and is very stable. if your after a good and cheap cpu i would go for the e6500 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... subcat=567
much faster and around the same price as a e6320 :wink:
huggy
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

CB Radio

Postby Kevin1964 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:05 pm

I'v heard of overclockers.com but was searching ebay and found this Item number: 120605456142...used but sounds a fair price to me??
huggy wrote:
Kevin1964 wrote:How do these proccessors fair in todays market??

yup good cpu for the price,and it can be overclocked to 3 ghz with a good cooler and still be very stable,some people have even ran them at 3.2 ghz but i think thats pushing it a bit,im running a e8400 which still not so cheap but runs very well,mine is overclocked from 3 ghz to 3.6ghz and the temps dont even change and is very stable. if your after a good and cheap cpu i would go for the e6500 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... subcat=567
much faster and around the same price as a e6320 :wink:
Kevin1964
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Kevin1964 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:21 pm

Right then...I swapped over the cpu and pc does as it should do but does emit two beeps upon start up which according to the book is a parity error...Fatal Memory Parity Error...System Halts after displaying this message...I belive this to be a RAM problem so decided to purchase a new DDR2 1Gigg ram only to find it still show the 2x beep parity error then shuts off.

Any idea's??

The other thing i would like to know is what should a normal or max pcu running temp be when a system is running coz i'm showing 127 degrees celcius
Kevin1964
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Norse on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:33 pm

Incorrect memory

possibly its too fast or too slow

Norse
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

+2" Sus Lift
+2" Body Lift
DIY Snorkle
Shedload of stickers

To do
Perhaps a CB

Postby Kevin1964 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:47 pm

My M/B allows the use of both DDR & DDR2 but obviously not at the same time...either DDR or DDR2 but not both at the same time...I am running a single 1G DDR2 800MHz ram chip. It does exactly the same if i use the original 1G DDR pc3200u ram chip...I believe parity relates to the term meaning equal so would assum its saying i need a pair of ram chips??

When you say either to fast or two slow..can you enlighten me on what would cause a fan to do either?
Norse wrote:Incorrect memory

possibly its too fast or too slow
Kevin1964
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Norse on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:51 pm

it might mean the motherboards Memory controller is FUBAR

Norse
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

+2" Sus Lift
+2" Body Lift
DIY Snorkle
Shedload of stickers

To do
Perhaps a CB

Postby Kevin1964 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:51 pm

I'm not sure but i just noticed the new DDR2 1Gb ram stick i got from PC World shows as it being a DDR2 1GB 800MHz stick....According to my my board instructions it shows DDR2 533MHz are tested to work on my board. Could this 800MHz stick be the problem with the parity error or am i just searching endless reasons?

I getting the feeling that it requires a new board then or can the controller be replaced??
Kevin1964
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby huggy on Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:55 am

ddr2 800 mhz should work ok,even if the motherboard does not support 800mhz it would still show as the max your motherboard supports as memory is backward compatible,what motherboard are you using? and as for cpu temp that is way to high,should be around 40c at idle to 55c under load,make sure the fan and heatsink are fitted correct,take the heatsink off and clean the base and the cpu and apply some fresh thermal paste,i always use arctic silver 5 as i overclock my system so need the best to keep my cpu cool,i would also try resetting your bios as you may have corrupted it by adding new hardware ect,in most cases its a jumper near the bios battery should say cmos next to it,unplug your pc first then swap the jumper over to the other pin and leave it for 15 seconds or so then swap it back,this should reset your bios,when your power it up you should get the option to load setup defaults,if you cant find the bios(clear cmos) jumper or it doesnt have one then you can simple just take out the bios battery for 15 seconds or so,make sure the pc is unplugged though as sometimes the bios will not clear if there is power going to the board.
huggy
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

CB Radio

Postby Kevin1964 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Right then
Now up and running.. :D .The problem was to do with the proccessor getting far to hot causing shut down which was down to the thermal pad between the heatsink and the cpu not doing it's job. I decided to use thermal grease which at the time of rebuild i couldn't find at home so instead i purchased thermal pads from Maplins which now seems as though wasn't working to bring cpu temp down. Using the pads caused the heat to get to 120 degrees celcius (way to hot) but now using thermal grease insteadbrings it down to normal operating tem which is 35-50 degrees celcius...result :D

The only thing i need to source in the near future is a decent intel 775 socket proccessor to replace the temporary (very slow) one i got of ebay just to see what was going on with pc. Now its sorted i can replace the proccessor at a later date but not sure whats best for my needs really.....Now running windows 7 instead of XP as no more service packs are available after service pack 3

I would be greatfull for advice on intel proccessors to fit socket 775 boards

Thanks for all the past responces
Kevin1964
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby huggy on Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:50 pm

cpu all depends on what your motherboard supports and what you want out of the pc,if your running multiple things at the same time then a quad core would be better,if your playing games then a dual core would be better,just because its a quad core doesnt mean it will score more in benchmarks,my mates amd quad core that runs at 3.4 ghz is scoring around the same with 3dmark as my dual core e8400 overclocked from 3ghz to 3.6 ghz.if your running windows 7 then you need alot more memory than 1 gig,so long as your motherboard supports a decent cpu and decent ram then i would go for at least 4gig of ram,if you go for a cpu that runs below 4ghz fsb then 800mhz (pc2-6400) will be ample,ie mine is clocked at 400mhz x 9 on the multiplier which gives me 3.6 ghz,my memory runs in dual channel so 400 x 2 = 800mhz,so i dont need any faster memory than 800mhz but i do have pc2-8500,pc2-8500 actual shows as pc2-6400 in the bios the only difference is tha fact that pc2-8500 can be clocked at 1066mhz without doing it any harm,i only got pc2-8500 so when i upgrade to a better cpu i wont have to upgrade my memory as well,also if i overclock my e8400 to over 4ghz then im ok on the memory side,the latest socket 775 cpu will cost around £160,thats a quad core q9400,the next one down price wise is my cpu the e8400 dual core,so it depends what your using the pc for and much you want to spend,but i would recomend the e8400 for its price though,standard it runs at 3ghz but lots of people have overclocked them to 4ghz with ease,i didnt want to push mine to far cos the cpu is is pretty new and it mainly used for gaming and no game out there needs a 4ghz at the moment,im happy at 3.6ghz and the temps have not even changed and its very stable,never crashed yet running benchmarks,if you do intend to overclock a cpu though i would make sure you have a good cooler,never overclock with a stock cooler,tell me what your motherboard is and what version,will have a better idea then what would be the better deal.
huggy
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

CB Radio

Next

Return to PC & Technology discussion