// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - 10" tablet to be used as Sat Nav advice please

10" tablet to be used as Sat Nav advice please

10" tablet to be used as Sat Nav advice please

Postby Retro Pedro on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:23 pm

Wifey heard me say that I might treat myself to a cheapo 10" tablet for greenlaning use. So guess what showed up in my Father Chrimbo stocking :thumbup:
The tablet is Android operated, and without being rude to wifey, is a budget suited for purpose gizmo but it does have GPS. Should have kept quite at the initial discussion, might have ended up with an iPad instead of the tablet, but as said, mustn't be ungrateful or rude.
Moving on, having had a play, I've downloaded viewranger andriod operaed free version, purchased 1:50,000 O.S. map for S.E. England for £8 so all happy and running fine. My son-in-law mentioned it might be worth investigating downloading a free SatNav programme to use on the tablet. So any suggestions or advice please. Would I have to purchase a different level of maps or do these Sat Nav freebees utilise the already loaded Google Maps?
I've given viewranger a thought, but it doesn't shout out 'at the roundabout take the third exit' if you get my drift, hence me thinking the Sat Nav ought to be running as a separate entity to find the area where a green lane is located, then switch over and go into the more detailed OS map via viewranger for actual laning.
Another thought is can co-ordinates be fed into a Sat Nav rather than post codes etc.?
Cheers for any forthcoming heads ups.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.
Region: South East

Re: 10" tablet to be used as Sat Nav advice please

Postby stretch on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:12 pm

navfree is a popular one and theres some other paid ones like copilot both have offline maps iirc. Alternatively if you have a good amount of mobile data you could use your phone as a hotspot and connect to it via wifi from the tablet.
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped
Region: East Anglia

Postby snapper on Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:58 pm

Cheapo tablet good as a sat nav???

Dunno, but I have been using a Tesco Hudl to run viewranger ever since they came out. Started with the Mk 1 and now use the Mk 2 for laning.

They will both do the job straight out of the box, but you're better off putting the largest MicroSD card you can get hold of in and then use that as the main storage for maps n things drive. Also download and install 'ES File Explorer' you will be able to get around the file system, directories etc. The thing will even run MS Office on it!

At least with the Hudl's you can ignore anything that say's up to 32Gb n respect to the MicroSD card, complete b******s as the larger cards are backwards compatible and it just gets on with it. Currently running a 128Gb in the Hudl 2 with no probs.

I've got it tethered to the phone to allow internet use out of the house which works well and also allows viewranger to fully utilise the device.

As for using it as a Sat Nav this link may be of help
This posting may have been helpfull, on the other hand probably not... Either way, I may have had drink when posting it in which case it's probably not as helpfull as it could have been

Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered ;) )

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'O-no' the truck.

Comments on 'O-no' the truck may be left here

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'Truck'

Comments on 'Truck' the truck may be left here

Owning a 2.8 is a hobby in it's self...
snapper
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Vehicle Name: Truck and O-no
Modifications: -
2.8 TD LWB - Truck:
Side Steps Removed
EGR, Birds Nest & Both Butterfly Valves Removed
Particulate Filter removed and pipe welded in
Safari Snorkel fitted
Trooper Flywheel & Clutch fitted
Trooper LSD Rear Axle fitted
Winch Bumper & Winch fitted
3.1 Engine Fitted
2" Suspension Lift

2.8 TD LWB - O-no:
Standard, for now.

2.5 Volvo 850 Saloon:
Standard

Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (185bhp)
Standard

Postby RatCav on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:01 pm

I use copilot as a Satnav. Been using it for years now. I would recommend it to anyone.
ImageImage

My members ride For Banshee the Trooper : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=34626

My members ride for Leeloo the Lotus Edition viewtopic.php?f=46&t=60154

Deceased

My members ride for Brenda the Bighorn : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=54771
RatCav
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Vehicle Name: Banshee
Modifications: Its a Frontera that is heavily disguised as a Mk.1 LWB Isuzu Bighorn 2.8TD Lotus Edition.
Hi-roof modification.
EGR valves and birds nest of vacuum pipes removed.
Front Manual Locking Hubs.
Rear Limited Slip Differential.
Yota Surf steels, with custom paintjob. (cheers Gregster)
33x12.5" R15 General Grabber AT 2's.
+2" suspension lift.
+3" body lift.
Cat 1 Thatcham approved alarm.
Irmscher wheel arch flares.
Full body restoration/respray. (cheers Gregster again!)
Region: North West

Postby Retro Pedro on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:31 pm

Cheers guys for info.
Got to say I'm a bit wooley with IT and tethering to the mobile to get online wouldn't really be an option for me because I've got a limited download option within my monthly mobile deal. Can get more but it costs me in excess.
Since posting I've had a play with the tablet and have got the Google Map talking bit working. Seems I can get the street maps linked to the GPS positioning and it does give direction instructions on the move. Plus it uses the pre-loaded google maps in whichever format, road map etc. Once I've given a proper live run, I'll post back and let you all know how it performs.
Going by the help link and info Frank posted - very much appreciated Frank - it seems I do need to utilise the phone link via tethering. Don't happen to know what the usage is like do you Frank, my phone deal is 250 minutes calls per month with not alot of data download, so will it cost me a small fortune to use with the limited Tesco deal. Maybe if I can get some sort of guage on the excess download/call time it may pay me to jump in and get an upgrade to use this set up properly. Putting my cry for help IT hat on again, for the live data/on the move download, are we talking data download or mobile call rate. I think it's data download but not sure.
Incidently, going back to viewranger and OS 1:50,000 maps, the whole country can be bought as a download for £80. All the national parks as a package IIRC for £10 or was it £16. Can't see me utilising the whole country so I'll buy as I go and need.
Between Frank and me posting I had put a draft together so some of the following as been comprehensively covered by Franks post.
What I had prepared was the bit that might catch me out being the storage. The tablet as only got 2.75gb of internal storage and the one map took 300mb so I'm down to 2.48gb spare. I've since inserted a 32gb micro SD and will look to utilise the external storage for future downloads. Need to work out how I can transfer the map already downloaded from the internal to external within the antroid operating system. Again Frank, reckon you've covered with your post.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Postby stretch on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:57 pm

Online maps would cost you in data not minutes. I think it would be best for you to spend a few quid and get a decent offline nav software then you won't need to worry about going over your data limit. Be aware that you will need to update the maps periodically which will need it to go online but you can do that from home ie via wifi.
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped
Region: East Anglia

Postby RatCav on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:32 pm

The offline maps is the main reason I don't use google maps and use CoPilot. I used it extensively around France year before last as well. The number of times I have used online map programs only to have to guess half my route, or have it lose the GPS connection right at that vital moment was annoyingly often.
ImageImage

My members ride For Banshee the Trooper : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=34626

My members ride for Leeloo the Lotus Edition viewtopic.php?f=46&t=60154

Deceased

My members ride for Brenda the Bighorn : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=54771
RatCav
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Vehicle Name: Banshee
Modifications: Its a Frontera that is heavily disguised as a Mk.1 LWB Isuzu Bighorn 2.8TD Lotus Edition.
Hi-roof modification.
EGR valves and birds nest of vacuum pipes removed.
Front Manual Locking Hubs.
Rear Limited Slip Differential.
Yota Surf steels, with custom paintjob. (cheers Gregster)
33x12.5" R15 General Grabber AT 2's.
+2" suspension lift.
+3" body lift.
Cat 1 Thatcham approved alarm.
Irmscher wheel arch flares.
Full body restoration/respray. (cheers Gregster again!)
Region: North West

Return to PC & Technology discussion