// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Project "POWER WAGON"....your help needed...

Project "POWER WAGON"....your help needed...

Kent to Oxfordshire

Including London North,South, East & West Bedfordshire Oxfordshire Hertfordshire

Moderator: gregster

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

Project "POWER WAGON"....your help needed...

Postby gregster on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:21 pm

Wotcha foggers....

Following yet another weekender with genny probs and drowned electrics the time has come to rethink our power solution.
With the amount of rain we had last time, I am unhappy with sodden 240v electrics and the risks it presents so another alternative is going to happen in future.
Reliability needs to be the key also as well as safety, as even though I bought 2 gennys down last time, we still had grief, and they aint weenas either, ones a chingchong honda copy 3.5kva one that is nearly new, and the other is a older but genuine 2.5kva honda genny. I kinda feel to run 18hrs a day, a genset is really the order of the day, but these are megabucks to buy and not within our budgets...

So heres the plan...

My BGL was due to be retired (broke up and weighed in) as its been replaced by the BRL....but it still runs and drives albiet it in 3wd, but a shaft will restore 4wd.
The plan is to use this as our POWER WAGON...
and not happy to just provide a genny solution and always striving to move things forwards with what we are doing, then this will also serve as a water bowser, hot and cold pressurised water supply, and compressed air supply... 8)

The plan is to remove the interior minus the drivers seat...fit two or more air tight water containers/water butts in the back that can be pressurised to about 10psi and that will hold more than enough water for a whole weekender. These will then feed a header tank on the roof which will gravity feed a hot water cylinder mounted in the front footwell/seat position. The heating coil from the cylinder will be connected to the heater matrix outlets on the engine, and the matrix disconnected, so the engine will heat the cylinder before its stat opens and it starts to cool itself via its rad, which should regulate the temperature in the cylinder. The engine will run 2x alternators charging 4 batteries, which when the power the site and soundsytem (via an inverter if I cant find some old car stereo amplifiers). The engine will also run an air con pump which will charge a tank to 150psi, (or 80 psi if I use the rear tyres as a reciever instead of a tank) with an unregulated output for tyres/tools and a regulated supply of about 10psi to pressurerise the water tanks. (I might do a switched pump system on the tanks if i can find sealed tanks that will take some pressure. Water pipes can be stored in the BGL when its stored up the workshop, so it should present an easy fill, park and connect system to use when we are down the woods, giving us a safer solution and H&C running water.
The plan is to park it where we stick the genny normally, which should give us 20ft head of water, and even with its rattling timing chain the 2.4i should be quieter than the gennys also.

My theory is that if the 2.4i will drags it ass up the steepest of hills in the woods, 5 up, on 35's, at idle without stalling...then it will turn a couple of alternators and a compressor pump no probs. Reckon it might use a bit more fuel, but its worth it if its safe, reliable and we get hot water!

What we need to make this happen....if you can keep your eyes open..

Hot watercylinder
More plastic 25mm(?) water pipe...
Pipe lagging
Big batterries (truck size or whatever you have lurking)
2 Large containers that can be used with drinking water, about 100-300 litres ish each I guess...ideally to fit in back of truck without cutting the roof out, but if needs must...LOL
Any old car stereo amps you might have kicking around
More parafin lamps (need another 10-20) if anyone sees these on offer anywhere, as these will provide background lighting in the cooking, picnic bench area, with addition 12v lighting for cooking etc.
Taps for sink.
Aircon compressor.

This should make a solution that we can use at picnics as well as weekenders as it should be quick and easy to set up... 8) 8) 8)
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.
Region: South East

Re: Project "POWER WAGON"....your help needed...

Postby kees on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:33 pm

The 2.2i face lift that i'm breaking had air con. The pump was a little noisy (a bearing I think ) but you are welcome to bits of it if you need. It was working before I took the engine out.
Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs
kees
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Modifications: Current: 1997 3.5 V6 Pajero

Now sold, A series Frontera.
Should be a 2.2i but is a 1.8i
FOG sticker
2" coil spacers and wound up front
1997/ p reg 2.2i
Now sold.
Region: International

Postby gregster on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Cheers mate that would be great...ideally could do with the pump and a foot or so of pipework if thats possible.
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby kees on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:48 pm

The A/C system is all there. I'll let you know once it's off the car.
Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs
kees
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Modifications: Current: 1997 3.5 V6 Pajero

Now sold, A series Frontera.
Should be a 2.2i but is a 1.8i
FOG sticker
2" coil spacers and wound up front
1997/ p reg 2.2i
Now sold.
Region: International

Postby snapper on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:00 am

:shock:

Just a thought, but have you considered:
* Using a water heater from a Caravan? Run off 12v or Gas.
* A solar panal on the roof with the liquid medium being pump through a dual element copper cylinder.
This posting may have been helpfull, on the other hand probably not... Either way, I may have had drink when posting it in which case it's probably not as helpfull as it could have been

Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered ;) )

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'O-no' the truck.

Comments on 'O-no' the truck may be left here

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'Truck'

Comments on 'Truck' the truck may be left here

Owning a 2.8 is a hobby in it's self...
snapper
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Truck and O-no
Modifications: -
2.8 TD LWB - Truck:
Side Steps Removed
EGR, Birds Nest & Both Butterfly Valves Removed
Particulate Filter removed and pipe welded in
Safari Snorkel fitted
Trooper Flywheel & Clutch fitted
Trooper LSD Rear Axle fitted
Winch Bumper & Winch fitted
3.1 Engine Fitted
2" Suspension Lift

2.8 TD LWB - O-no:
Standard, for now.

2.5 Volvo 850 Saloon:
Standard

Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (185bhp)
Standard

Postby gregster on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Good thinking Snapper, but why use gas or lecky to heat water when we have an engine running already to generate lecky, which needs to keep cool and will heat water for nothing? Using gas would mean paying twice, and most caravan lecky water heaters are 240v for when on hookup, which would mean converting 12v to 240 with a huge inverter to run a couple of thousand watt element, which isnt going to be efficient or cost effective. Solar panels are a great idea, but the investment vs their effectiveness under the canopy of the trees I cant see working.

gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby fudge on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:20 pm

what about removing the rear prop and adding some big alternatours onto that.. so leave it in gear turning over and making elec...

and then when moving it. driving it, on front wheel drive
fudge
Thumper
Thumper

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1991/J
Vehicle Name: the duck
Modifications: full roll cage
snorkle
SOA lift
winch bullbar
winch(ramsey pro 8000)
hilift jack mount
waffle boards mounts
jerry cans mount
cb radio
front and rear recovery
darken leanses
8x spot light
rear work light
bucket seat
5 point harness

more comming soon
Region: Southern England

Postby gregster on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:10 pm

That will just waste power through gearbox drag Fudge...the simplest way is to just run the generation directly off the engine with the tranny in neutral.

gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby snapper on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:38 pm

but why use gas or lecky to heat water when we have an engine running already to generate lecky

Err the cost of the Derv that goes through the engine...

Lighting, LED's while expensive use less current. All depends on just how much light you need really.

The solar panels I have in mind arent leccy ones, more a redneck stylee made from two box's the outer (wood) one say 1.5mtr x 2.5 mtr and the inner one (alloy) smaller by 10mm on each edge. the smaller one goes into the larger one with the top edges level and the gap filled with ceiling inslation.

Now, get some micro bore copper and lay it in the box like you would the piping for an underfloor heating system, take each end of the pipe out of the box edge and put an in line connector on each end. Paint everything matt black and put a clear cover over the box to help focus the light. Leave out in the sun....

Now for hot water storage, use some very well inslated copper H/W cylinders (better if they have 2 coils). Rig up with pipe from the solar panel to the coil and return. Fit a pump to help move the heat transfer medium along (water/coolant mix?) and a pressure balancing unitfrom a fully pumped/sealed central heating system and safety valve to help deal with the insane pressures that these things can build up. Cold water feed to the water cyl and your away.

Take the coolant line from the engine and plumb via the other heating coil. Now you don't need to run the engine as much.

Warning, rigged up right, these solar things can have the potential to generate insane pressures and temperature in the solar panel and the H/W cyl. Apart from the sun going down, theres no brakes on it......

Btw, I have a few 'spare' gensets at work that I've disconnected over the last year, not sure yet what's going to happen with them yet but they will be headed to the auctions at some stage, what sort of size are we looking at here?
This posting may have been helpfull, on the other hand probably not... Either way, I may have had drink when posting it in which case it's probably not as helpfull as it could have been

Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered ;) )

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'O-no' the truck.

Comments on 'O-no' the truck may be left here

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'Truck'

Comments on 'Truck' the truck may be left here

Owning a 2.8 is a hobby in it's self...
snapper
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Vehicle Name: Truck and O-no
Modifications: -
2.8 TD LWB - Truck:
Side Steps Removed
EGR, Birds Nest & Both Butterfly Valves Removed
Particulate Filter removed and pipe welded in
Safari Snorkel fitted
Trooper Flywheel & Clutch fitted
Trooper LSD Rear Axle fitted
Winch Bumper & Winch fitted
3.1 Engine Fitted
2" Suspension Lift

2.8 TD LWB - O-no:
Standard, for now.

2.5 Volvo 850 Saloon:
Standard

Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (185bhp)
Standard

Postby yaki on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:22 pm

I have a big roll (probably 25m ish) that has been sat behind my shed for several years, not sure of the dia but guessing it is around 15mm and believe it is the sort of stuff you would use instead of copper pipe for your house plumbing. If its any good to you I can drag it out and get it posted
Soon to be without a Frontera after 10 years of owning one :-(
yaki
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1996/P
Vehicle Name: Eric
Modifications: A few

Front Winch & Bumper
MR2 Seats
+4" Springs
+4" Rough Country Shocks
Calmini Front Arms
Trooper Front Axle
Front Aussie Locker
Rear Trooper Axle
Rear Aussie Locker
35mm Diff Drop
12mm Ball Joint Spacers
33" Tyres
80mm Body Lift
Extended Axle Breathers
Aisin Manual Hubs
Rear Recovery Bumper
Braided Brake Hoses
EGR System Removed
DeCat
Fuel Tank Lift
Front & Rear Anti-Roll bar removed
Roof Console
EGT/Boost Gauge and Inclinometer in Centre Console
Region: South Wales

Postby gregster on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:53 am

Sounds good Yaki....cheers bud. 8) 8) 8)

gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby bobbinsjob on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:27 am

I'll have a word with matt who is a plumber about taps and pipe and hw cylinders etc
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728
1996 2.8 SWB called VIPER

Members Ride section for VIPER

Comments on VIPER here

GET YOUR CARTOON CAR HERE
bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: Viper
Modifications: Deep offset Steel modular wheels with 32/11.5/15 Kuhmo KL71 mud tyres
+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Modified Navara tubular rear bumper
Mental cammo paint job

Postby gregster on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:06 am

Well done that man 8) 8) 8) 8)

gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby bobbinsjob on Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:42 pm

As for the large water containers when my mate converted a mobile library into a motor home he uses sealed up wheelie bins
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728

Comments on VIPER here

bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

Modifications: Deep offset Steel modular wheels with 32/11.5/15 Kuhmo KL71 mud tyres
+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Mental cammo paint job

Postby 2much on Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:11 pm

i've got a few meters of 35mm mdpe water pipe now surplus to requirements....

think i may have a couple of basin taps kicking around and a tub full of various fittings for copper pipe.

any chance you could knock up a sketch of what your trying to do? got a mate who does plumbing and could get him to keep an eye out for any 2nd hand bits...
2much
frontera God
frontera God

Modifications: 2much!

Postby gregster on Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:04 am

Will do Ste...cheers fella...good idea with the wheelie bins Ian, not sure if they would stand upright in the fronty though...

gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby bobbinsjob on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:39 pm

His are sealed and lying flat under the bus
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728

Comments on VIPER here

bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Mental cammo paint job

Return to South East