// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Guinness World Record Attempt - Discussion

Guinness World Record Attempt - Discussion

Ians Guinness World Record Attempt Forum

Moderator: bobbinsjob

Re: Guinness World Record Attempt - Discussion

Postby andysd1 on Mon May 26, 2008 8:54 pm

Drift wrote:The record is separated into Marques :D

explain
flying solo, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
andysd1
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: snake
Region: North West

Postby Drift on Mon May 26, 2008 9:01 pm

Each make and model of car has its own world record, say, a fiesta record attempt, or a Frontera or Bentley, they dont compete with each other they have individual categories
Ste
FOG Administrator

Frontera Technical Support
Often Imitated Never Bettered

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk
Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Daddy's Car or Triggers Broom
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)

Postby Road Hog on Mon May 26, 2008 9:34 pm

Drift wrote:Each make and model of car has its own world record, say, a fiesta record attempt, or a Frontera or Bentley, they dont compete with each other they have individual categories

Ste,this record will be listed as Vauxhall NOT Frontera,it is only being limited to Fronty`s by Bobbinsjobs own ruling.
Otherwise the vehicle count could be boosted by me driving my Fronty & Sue bringing her Astra SXI,as could any other member with more than one Vauxhall in the drive,regardless of model.

Given that virtually every model of Vauxhall has its own forum/club,any if not all could go for beating this attempt & succeed as the Fronty was only produced in relatively small numbers.
The original concept,i thought was a Frontera record but the goalposts have moved,not sure exactly when or why.
Road Hog
Forum Wino
Forum Wino

Region: International

Postby Drift on Mon May 26, 2008 10:06 pm

Gotcha, weired rules :? :lol:
Ste
FOG Administrator

Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)

Postby Tom Mc on Tue May 27, 2008 3:41 am

Not really Drift, when you understand the rules fully they are not that weird at all. As has been stated, records for four-wheel-drive vehicles have to be separated into marques as GWR (Guinness World Records) will not recognise a generic record for 4x4 vehicles as this is a 'vehicle type'. Similarly, one couldn't establish a world record for the largest parade of diggers, so it would have to be the largest parade of JCB's, Manitou's or Case's.

I know, on the face of it not being able to set a world record for 4x4’s does seem daft, but where does it stop? Mmmmm, think I’ll set a world record for … the largest parade of lorries … or even dafter, the largest parade of cars! Frustrating I realise, but you can now see why only records for vehicle ‘marques’ not ‘types’ can be set; the alternative even I have to admit would be madness.

And yes FOG could say the record attempt is for ALL Vauxhalls including saloon cars, but where’s the fun in that? To keep it exclusively to Fronteras is I would say a credit to the organisers.

Also, Furball is spot on. The world record for the “Largest Parade of Land Rover Vehicles” is 260 set back in 2004. I should know, for my sins I was the organiser! Ironically Trugga helped police the event that day as all the Marshals ran ‘non-Land Rovers’. Subsequently, on three separate occasions since, others have attempted to break this record but all have failed. Why? On one occasion in Belgium despite having almost SIX times the amount of vehicles (approx. 1,500 Land Rovers) they got the logistics all wrong and didn’t meet the criteria laid down by GWR. Basically they cocked it up! That’s why early on I offered my assistance to FOG to help the group officially set a new record for Vauxhall Fronteras, whilst unofficially breaking our record for four-wheel-drives. Yes I’m personally into Range Rover Classics, but to see the Land Rover record be beaten (again - unofficially of course) is no bad thing. Frontys/Landys are all 4x4 vehicles at the end of the day, so I feel it’s good for the entire 4x4 scene. Besides, FOG would have an individual Frontera world record no matter what (the same as we have for Land Rovers), and we as Land Rover owners could go for the unofficial 4x4 record by breaking yours! Competition is good!!!

BTW … despite saying they would, nobody got back to me from FOG regarding my offer of assistance, so clearly the powers that be didn’t think my input worthwhile – shame!

Incidentally, interesting opening page of Guinness World Records’ website at http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com depicting a r/h drive muddied 4x4 (lifted, big-tyred Jeep Cherokee by the looks of it).
Tom Mc
Apprentice Frontera engineer

Vehicle Name: Range Rover Classic
Modifications: Ambulance-soon-to-be-camper
Region: Midlands

Postby Drift on Tue May 27, 2008 8:13 am

BTW … despite saying they would, nobody got back to me from FOG regarding my offer of assistance, so clearly the powers that be didn’t think my input worthwhile – shame!

Im sure your input would be very welcomed and your offer may have been overlooked accidently, Ill PM Ian Bobbinsjob tonight :wink:

Cheers for clearing that up Tom :D
Ste
FOG Administrator

Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

She is nicccccceeee ;-)

Postby bobbinsjob on Tue May 27, 2008 12:11 pm

Tom Mc wrote:Not really Drift, when you understand the rules fully they are not that weird at all. As has been stated, records for four-wheel-drive vehicles have to be separated into marques as GWR (Guinness World Records) will not recognise a generic record for 4x4 vehicles as this is a 'vehicle type'. Similarly, one couldn't establish a world record for the largest parade of diggers, so it would have to be the largest parade of JCB's, Manitou's or Case's.

I know, on the face of it not being able to set a world record for 4x4’s does seem daft, but where does it stop? Mmmmm, think I’ll set a world record for … the largest parade of lorries … or even dafter, the largest parade of cars! Frustrating I realise, but you can now see why only records for vehicle ‘marques’ not ‘types’ can be set; the alternative even I have to admit would be madness.

And yes FOG could say the record attempt is for ALL Vauxhalls including saloon cars, but where’s the fun in that? To keep it exclusively to Fronteras is I would say a credit to the organisers.

Also, Furball is spot on. The world record for the “Largest Parade of Land Rover Vehicles” is 260 set back in 2004. I should know, for my sins I was the organiser! Ironically Trugga helped police the event that day as all the Marshals ran ‘non-Land Rovers’. Subsequently, on three separate occasions since, others have attempted to break this record but all have failed. Why? On one occasion in Belgium despite having almost SIX times the amount of vehicles (approx. 1,500 Land Rovers) they got the logistics all wrong and didn’t meet the criteria laid down by GWR. Basically they cocked it up! That’s why early on I offered my assistance to FOG to help the group officially set a new record for Vauxhall Fronteras, whilst unofficially breaking our record for four-wheel-drives. Yes I’m personally into Range Rover Classics, but to see the Land Rover record be beaten (again - unofficially of course) is no bad thing. Frontys/Landys are all 4x4 vehicles at the end of the day, so I feel it’s good for the entire 4x4 scene. Besides, FOG would have an individual Frontera world record no matter what (the same as we have for Land Rovers), and we as Land Rover owners could go for the unofficial 4x4 record by breaking yours! Competition is good!!!

Incidentally, interesting opening page of Guinness World Records’ website at http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com depicting a r/h drive muddied 4x4 (lifted, big-tyred Jeep Cherokee by the looks of it).

My humblest appologies Tom, just read this and realised that I'd overlooked your offer :oops: :oops: :oops: your assistance would be fantasic. PM me for my phone number and we can talk
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728
1996 2.8 SWB called VIPER

Members Ride section for VIPER

Comments on VIPER here

GET YOUR CARTOON CAR HERE
bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

Vehicle Name: Viper
Modifications: Deep offset Steel modular wheels with 32/11.5/15 Kuhmo KL71 mud tyres
+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Modified Navara tubular rear bumper
Mental cammo paint job
Region: South East

Postby Reeco on Wed May 28, 2008 3:05 pm

Ian, How many confirmations as we have up to date Mate. ATB. Reeco
Reeco

Postby bobbinsjob on Thu May 29, 2008 1:25 am

104 at the moment mate
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728

Comments on VIPER here

bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

Modifications: Deep offset Steel modular wheels with 32/11.5/15 Kuhmo KL71 mud tyres
+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Mental cammo paint job

Postby Road Hog on Thu May 29, 2008 1:46 am

Am i on the list ?
Road Hog
Forum Wino
Forum Wino

Postby Tom Mc on Fri May 30, 2008 2:51 am

just read this and realised that I'd overlooked your offer

My initial reaction bobbinsjob is ... I’m perplexed! You have a direct offer of assistance from the current world record holder (well, the ‘organiser’ at least for I view it as their world record not mine, the 260 owners who by making the effort to turn up actually made it happen) and it gets “overlooked”. Yes mistakes happen, but this is a biggie! Really not wanting to sound big-headed, but in this instance ‘experience matters’. Not a good start, in fact from an organisational perspective I have to say it doesn’t bode well for your record attempt in just 17 weeks time.

Okay, I’ll be totally honest and say I did feel mildly put out that I didn’t even warrant the courtesy of a follow up call/email/PM (thanks BTW - apology duly accepted), but where I am really miffed is that now, virtually at the brink of Summer, I’m just too busy to help. Since January I have set up 12 brand new, never-seen-before 4x4 projects, 10 of these being actual events, so time is obviously at a premium. Moreover, and this is the killer, annoyingly I am now fully booked up for the weekend of the actual attempt, so the major input I could have offered – being there on the day to make sure you achieved what three other groups of organisers before you couldn’t achieve – is now impossible. That’s not to say you won’t do it, I am sure as a group of people you are quite capable and you will establish a new record, but the certainty has now been removed. Have to be honest and say that it's not just a shame, that's a missed opportunity! There is a very reason I post on forums (this and many others) at the dead of night, it’s because with no phone ringing in the early hours it is the only chance I get to talk to people; yes I’m busy!!!

This being the case, I’m sorry (and I’m not throwing my dummy out of the pram believe me), it’s just that now five months on, through sheer lack of time there is not a snowball’s hope in hell I can get involved other than posting the odd pearl of wisdom on here every so often – trust it helps. Good luck anyway, hope all goes according to plan … quite literally!
Tom Mc

Postby bobbinsjob on Fri May 30, 2008 3:59 am

Tom, any advice you can give is much appreciated. As I said from the very first posting, I have never organised anything like this before so mistakes will be made. I am juggling 3 full time jobs, a part time business, a wife and family and then this, but one thing is for sure, all the things that have to be done, will be done.

Again, my appologies for overlooking your offer,

Ian
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728

Comments on VIPER here

bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Mental cammo paint job

Postby bobbinsjob on Fri May 30, 2008 4:01 am

A friend wrote:Am i on the list ?

You're on it along with your friend Tracey but not in green yet mate, would you like me to turn you green?
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728

Comments on VIPER here

bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Mental cammo paint job

Postby Road Hog on Fri May 30, 2008 8:57 am

Yes for me,will contact Tracey
Road Hog
Forum Wino
Forum Wino

Postby Tom Mc on Fri May 30, 2008 11:55 am

I am juggling 3 full time jobs, a part time business, a wife and family and then this,

Not a lot then? :D

One snippet of wisdom to keep your pecker up - approaching the event whatever number there are booked in to attend, another bunch of people will suddenly pop out of the woodwork and want to join in. Human nature I suppose, but these last minute entries could mean the difference between success and failure. So keep plugging away, if nothing else it's a good excuse to all meet up!

There is no actual target as its not been done before so theoretically two Fronteras could break the record

Sorry Drift it doesn't quite work like that, nothing so easy. For any parade of vehicles to be accepted as a record, the convoy has to be a minimum of two miles long. Understandable as with only 2 or 3 vehicles one could set a record every day for the Largest Parade of Riley Vehicles ... or MG / Sunbeam / Daihatsu / etc.
Tom Mc

Postby Trugga on Fri May 30, 2008 12:08 pm

Tom Mc wrote:...the convoy has to be a minimum of two miles long...

...and with each vehicle no more than a car length apart, if I recall correctly.

Lawrence
Trugga
Da Prof!
Da Prof!

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/L
Vehicle Name: Little Blue Bug
Modifications: # ARB Winch bumper
# Wireless operated Warn Winch
# Jackable rockslider sills
# Safety Devices roll cage
# Roof level tree bars
# Roof mounted waffle boards
# Underbody protection
# Smaller, higher fuel tank
# Buttock tuck with protectors
# Cobra Aqua4x4 competition seats
# 3-point harnesses
# Terratrip
# GTE digital dash
# Bonnet pins
# AVM manual front hubs
# FIA battery master switch
# Ally Chequerplate footwells
# De-Cat, straight thro' zorst
# 2" Lift, +2" Rough Country shocks

Postby bobbinsjob on Fri May 30, 2008 6:39 pm

Trugga wrote:
Tom Mc wrote:...the convoy has to be a minimum of two miles long...

...and with each vehicle no more than a car length apart, if I recall correctly.

Lawrence

I think you may have misinterpreted the guidlines. This is copied from the pdf sent to me from GWR and i have rang and spoke to them to clarify.....

"2 - The minimum distance of the parade must be 3.2 km (2 miles) from the starting
point to the finish (all cars must cross the start line and drive the length of the
route to the finish line).
3 - If a car cannot complete the route, that car must be deducted from the total
count.
4 - The column of cars must be continuous. As a general guide, the cars should not
be more than two car-lengths apart during the parade."

this means that the actual route the parade takes must be a minimum of 2 miles, not the length of the convoy. Think about it, if the average vehicle is 10 feet long and keeps to the maximum distance of 2 lengths between each vehicle, that would be an average unit length of 30 feet. If there were 200 units in the convoy it would still only cover 1.1 miles meaning you would have to have over 400 vehicles to qualify and looking at the record set by BMW, someone has their facts a little out.

Largest Parade of BMW Cars

WHO:
BMW Coupé Club Nederland
WHAT:
WHERE:
The Hague, Netherlands
WHEN:
April 25, 2004

Ian
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728

Comments on VIPER here

bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Mental cammo paint job

Postby Trugga on Fri May 30, 2008 7:21 pm

Aha, I recalled there being a minimum for a gap, just got my ones and tows muddled up.

As the first car in the convoy passes the counting point, can it race round the track and join up at the end of the convoy :D

Lawrence
Trugga
Da Prof!
Da Prof!

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/L
Vehicle Name: Little Blue Bug
Modifications: # ARB Winch bumper
# Wireless operated Warn Winch
# Jackable rockslider sills
# Safety Devices roll cage
# Roof level tree bars
# Roof mounted waffle boards
# Underbody protection
# Smaller, higher fuel tank
# Buttock tuck with protectors
# Cobra Aqua4x4 competition seats
# 3-point harnesses
# Terratrip
# GTE digital dash
# Bonnet pins
# AVM manual front hubs
# FIA battery master switch
# Ally Chequerplate footwells
# De-Cat, straight thro' zorst
# 2" Lift, +2" Rough Country shocks

Postby Tom Mc on Fri May 30, 2008 8:06 pm

Hi Lawrence ... still got your electronic box of tricks on the dash? I've joined you now, the Landy Rally Range Rover has all those including a rooster, horse, dog, and best of all, when some obese Vicky Pollard-type hefer ambles across the zebra crossing too engossed on her mobile to acknowledge the fact you've stopped for her, a blast with the mooing cow sound usually does the trick ... well, certainly gets a reaction anyway!!! :mrgreen:

Confused with this 2 mile thingy???? If the "minimum distance of the parade must be 3.2 km (2 miles) from the starting
point to the finish" and the "column of cars must be continuous", then one vehicle has to travel 2 miles ... and so do all the others behind. This also makes not just the route but the minimum distance of the convoy 2 miles (with no more then two vehicle lengths between vehicles of course).

For BMW to get away with only 107 vehicles is therefore strange and highly suspect. Even the longest of Beamer's doesn't add up to 2 miles. Very confused???
Tom Mc

Postby furball on Fri May 30, 2008 10:00 pm

Tom,

The convoy/parade has to travel 2 miles, not be 2 miles. There are presumably different records for gatherings of particular vehicles in the same place at the same time (we could probably go for that one on the saturday night at the BBQ)

Chris

104 beemers? We've as good as beaten that already :dance:
Don't grow up, just get bigger toys
My truck... http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27556
furball
frontera God
frontera God

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2003/03

PreviousNext

Return to GWR Attempt discussions