// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Been thinking....you thoughts please SE mob....

Been thinking....you thoughts please SE mob....

Kent to Oxfordshire

Including London North,South, East & West Bedfordshire Oxfordshire Hertfordshire

Moderator: gregster

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

Been thinking....you thoughts please SE mob....

Postby gregster on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:44 pm

Wotcha foggers...

There might be a possibility that we could do a hog roast at the August weekender, if James is up for it as he has the machine...which would be brill, but presents a kinda problem in as to how we sort the piggy funding to do this if you guys are up for it.

Historically we have always done a system where by everyone brings stuff, and the supplies list was then introduced as we suffered the "me man, me bring meat" syndrome at one PITW, where we had hundreds of dead stuff, but not a roll in sight. This has worked well I think, and we have only had a few last minute shops where peeps didnt make it and had pledged to bring stuff. It is a nice idea to, bit like a bring a bottle party but with grub, and bottles as well of course.
The piggy thing made me think though as to whether we should do this a different way as from the next weekender, and this is what I wanted your thoughts on.

What I was wondering is whether to consider doing a food inclusive system, whereby the food and things needed would be sourced centrally, which would obviously mean a change in prices, but which could then take in things like a piggy for the hog roast.

Whether this is just for weekenders or the picnics as well, I dont know, but it could have some advantages.

We have a great meat catering supplier just up the yard (remember the bangers and bacon and stuff that Lloyd and lewis used to bring?)...and it could mean we get better value £ for £ buying in bulk and the quality of there stuff is really good. Other stuff could be sourced from cash n carry.
Planning of meals, timing etc would be easier if we knew what we were doing and what we had before hand, and it could make organising easier where we are getting members from FOG, ITOC and Invicta 4x4 as well.

There would have to be a few concessions if we were to think about it this happening though...

Firstly...Payment up front...
We have had meets where people have dropped out at the last minute or not turned up, for whatever reason, which has at times meant we havent even covered costs, but its too late in the day when folk are already there to call off the meet, and I not prepared to leave myself/sally open to any more liability. What I mean is we could do a substantial amount of money on food ready for an event, and then get bitten if people dont show.
So a non refundable deposit or maybe even full payment up front would be essential. Dont know amounts wise yet, it would be something that I would work out, but this would take in charcoal and ALL the catering side of stuff. Price would depend on numbers too I would guess, as buying for a weekender could get better deals than a single day picnic I would think, but I would guess that most would end up spending around what they spend on food currently.

Secondly...Who's sorting it...
No offence intended folks, but its gonna have to be Sally and I, as we are the only ones I can 100% guarantee are gonna be there...and for whatever reason we cant risk any problems as this would impact on every one at the meet and cause major hassles.

Thirdly...
The first sign of anyone biatching about "i dont like this" or "i didnt get a burger as I was fixing my car and then they were all gone" would result in either going back to how things are, or me getting my mate chris to bring his burger van down, and we would forget the BBQ's. We would be much more organsied with this, so everyone will know when grub times are and more than enough would be prepared. No opt outs either, I dont what to feel like I have to check whos had what all weekend/day to make sure no-one is takin the pee, so if the price would be for the event including food. Veggy option would need to be catered for also to be fair, but I am sure that we knock enough green stuff down in a day to prepare something!

Fourthly
I aint cooking... :lol: (for everyones sake)

What are your thoughts fellas and fella-eses?
Do we stick how we are, or do I explore doing the buying centrally going forwards and come up with rough prices?
In honesty I dont think it would make much difference money wise to most, as sooner than buying at retail prices and buying in bulk then I would think most would get more for their money that they normally spend on grub, and savings could mean that we could stock pile charcoal and anything thats seasonal, maybe even buy a pallet of the stuff.

I am divided in honesty, its gotta mean more work for Sally and me, but could make things better and mean stuff is more organised at the meets.
I do like the whole "everyone bringing stuff" thing...its nice... and it works well in the main, but also the system for the BBQ at the annual works well to which is kinda priced into the weekend. Pricing is never gonna be the same as the annual mind, due to our costs Vs numbers, and the annual gets really great numbers.

What do you reckon guys, stay as we are, do it grub inclusive, starve or chris' burger van?

PLEASE NOTE>>>>
This is hypothetical at the mo, and is not relating the Weekender in a few days time...this is about the future... :wink:
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.
Region: South East

Re: Been thinking....you thoughts please SE mob....

Postby RatCav on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:55 pm

I think the supplies list works very well, and people can judge how much to bring based on current numbers. I for one get the food I bring on the day I am travelling so its fresh and suitable for who is there. If we also have a rough feeding time (at the zoo) then that should eliminate people missing out on stuff when driving/fixing stuff. Also gives the chefs a fair chance to time things right so they can have some fun as well. The hog roast does sound tempting as well. How about the normal supplies list, and a hog roast say on the Saturday night, with the cost shared by all who turn up that day (which can be seen on the attending list) to give a guide on the shared cost. Obviously the shared cost will be less if surprise passengers also turn up. This also gives the chefs a night off one evening so they can let their hair down with the test of us as opposed to being stuck behind the BBQ all weekend. Just my thought.
ImageImage

My members ride For Banshee the Trooper : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=34626

My members ride for Leeloo the Lotus Edition viewtopic.php?f=46&t=60154

Deceased

My members ride for Brenda the Bighorn : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=54771
RatCav
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Vehicle Name: Banshee
Modifications: Its a Frontera that is heavily disguised as a Mk.1 LWB Isuzu Bighorn 2.8TD Lotus Edition.
Hi-roof modification.
EGR valves and birds nest of vacuum pipes removed.
Front Manual Locking Hubs.
Rear Limited Slip Differential.
Yota Surf steels, with custom paintjob. (cheers Gregster)
33x12.5" R15 General Grabber AT 2's.
+2" suspension lift.
+3" body lift.
Cat 1 Thatcham approved alarm.
Irmscher wheel arch flares.
Full body restoration/respray. (cheers Gregster again!)
Region: North West

Postby Retro Pedro on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:18 am

Many sided coins here Greg
As is (peeps put their names on the supplies list) as generally worked OK to date. From what I remember only the very first picnic had a system of bringing your own food which was then replaced with the list and for my money worked better.

Hog Roast is a nice idea but as stated carries an upfront payment requirement I would assume. Don't know what deal you can get but I'm guessing there will be quite a price commitment which for my money would have to carry an upfront payment. Would have thought, that figure would have to be covered by every person attending including all guests and passengers as opposed to just drivers/owners putting their name on the attendance list. That said, Hog Roast would be very welcome.

The option of your mate Chris would also have it's advantages. No supplies list and peeps paying for just what they eat, regardless of attendance list, drivers guest and so forth.

Not trying to sway opinion because it's worked OK to date, but just giving feedback to the new ideas on the table - pardon the pun :wink:
Last edited by Retro Pedro on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Postby vauxsqueeks on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:16 am

The hog is roast a good idea but getting the money in for it would probably need to be done up front. For the 3 or 4 picnic's that I have attended and brought supplies from the list, it averagely cost me between £35 and £45 in addition to the cost of the day and fuel. So for me I would assume that the hog would probably be cheaper overall.

Adding say £10 or £15 to the cost of the entry tag would probably cover the catering providing you knew what your minimum would be to fund the day and attendance exceeded that minimum.

You could assume in the entry price to cover 3 sandwich "allowance", salad etc and after that a £2-3 per sandwich and also charge on the day for people who were not drivers (pre paid ) for example per sandwich. that way it should be fair for all, people who eat more pay more and those that dont.. dont!

any additional funds raised can go back into the coffers to the next event or site maintenance etc.

just my 2 pence worth..
Fronty B, 2002 3.2 V6

Now Gone
Fronty B, 2004 2.2 DTi Olympus (SD04) viewtopic.php?f=18&t=57397 -- Best DTH upgrade ever Tuning Box
Fronty B, 2001 2.2i SWB Limited (Y48 ) viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50727
Fronty B, 1999 2.2i LWB Limited (V924)
Fronty B, 1998 2.2i LWB Limited (T934) viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48369
Fronty A, 1995 2.4l LWB

"There are NO silly questions... Just expensive mistakes"
vauxsqueeks
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby 2much on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:49 am

hog roast = great idea

hog roast = loads of hassle (from trying to do similar at local pub)

can go into many reasons but BBQ works as is and focus is about the woods and trucks

burger van might be an interesting addition for weekender allows part timers (me :oops: ) to swan in at anytime and eat/drink without thinking about time or effort - may also help with new peeps and visitors etc and be more like p&p

what does sound a useful idea is the option to buy from farm, not only better quality but also work out cheaper - maybe a paypal option up front, closing a week before, with funds being spent at farm - supplies list remains for non meat items (bread etc)

gas bbq option could make food timing more flexible but IMHO Beer and Trucks should be the focus :drink: :party:
2much
frontera God
frontera God

Registration Year: 1995/N
Modifications: 2much!

Postby bobbinsjob on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:25 pm

I'm inclined to agree with Steve. Although the idea of tucking into the hog sounds great it would probably be a nightmare to organise and be paid for. If you charge up front but then not enough people commit then you've either got all the hassle of returning money and cancelling the hog roast or if too late you are gonna be out of pocket.
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728
1996 2.8 SWB called VIPER

Members Ride section for VIPER

Comments on VIPER here

GET YOUR CARTOON CAR HERE
bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: Viper
Modifications: Deep offset Steel modular wheels with 32/11.5/15 Kuhmo KL71 mud tyres
+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Modified Navara tubular rear bumper
Mental cammo paint job

Postby geeks on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:24 am

If you want a hog organised let me know, my uncle is a butcher and i can probably get a good deal on it!
Rule #3: Don't believe what you're told. Double check

geeks
frontera God
frontera God

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2002/02
Vehicle Name: The Hulk MK2
Modifications: To Come:
Stuff...

Also:
The Beast (2.8 SWB A Series)

Previous:
The Hulk (2.2 DTi LWB B Series)
Shadow (B Series LWB 3.2 Manual)
The Silver Surfer (B Series LWB 2.2 Manual)
Violet (2.0 SWB A Series) (STOLEN :-( )

Postby gregster on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:23 pm

Cool..thats worth knowing...cheers fella...

It looks like the concensus of opinion is to stay as is, which is fine with me, was just exploring other ways of doing things that might be better or not as the case may be. 8) 8) 8)
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery