// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - The woods are looking lovely at the moment...

The woods are looking lovely at the moment...

Kent to Oxfordshire

Including London North,South, East & West Bedfordshire Oxfordshire Hertfordshire

Moderator: gregster

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

The woods are looking lovely at the moment...

Postby gregster on Fri May 06, 2011 11:50 pm

This year we decided to schedule the annual meet into the cycle of picnics and weekenders in the woods, partly trying to avoid dates clashing, and partly to give the woods a good chance to fully recover in the period that most new growth takes place...

Went down there today to do a few bits of housekeeping and clearing fallen stuff with the recent high winds...

and it was bloomin beautiful down there...

Everything has burst fully into life again, our tracks now weaving through masses of bluebells and new growth...

The clearing/camping area looks lovely with the sun glancing through the canopy above.

Some pickies I took while down there...

Going into the woods

the cheeky little number over the bank by the pond

Going in towards the clearing, the picnic table is in the distance

The demon trench, to the left as you come into the woods!

The clearing

The clearing from the fire site

More of the clearing/camping area

Beauty and the "beast"

The top dene holes

The track up from the stump garden hill

Down towards the stump garden

The tyre changing hole works for 33's too!!!

Just thought it would be nice to share some pics of how our playground and meeting place is doing in the break from meets up there...

Laters

Gregster
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.
Region: South East

Re: The woods are looking lovely at the moment...

Postby James Bass on Sat May 07, 2011 9:12 am

Looks amazing Greg. Shame it's so damn far away. Gonna try and get something sorted for the North East, coz we got nowt up here, then try arrange a bit of a meet up here. Will probs be next year now though. Here's hoping though. :dance:
Jim and Phoenix

Proud owner of an...erm...MG ZT CDTi 160
James Bass
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Vehicle Name: Phoenix
Region: North East

Postby horses45 on Sat May 07, 2011 9:25 am

james if it's when i have a few days off i dont mind a look back home and as for the woods i cant wait for august and the sound of dueling banjo's LOL. (Just Before My Trucks Raped or Painted :shock: )
BRING ON A BIGGER WALL !!!!![color=#4080FF]Cos I Am The Cosmic Fool

East Midland Area Rep

Frontera owners stickers here forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=47071"
horses45
FOG BBQ Chef
FOG BBQ Chef

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2003/03
Vehicle Name: The Truck
Modifications: None :-(
Region: Midlands

Postby Retro Pedro on Sat May 07, 2011 9:39 am

When do you want us to come down with the lawn mowers to cut the grass Greg :D
Seriously, heard you say how nice it looks down there this time of year. Seeing is believing (thanks for piccies).
What as got me thinking since the annual is that how technically suited the woods are for our Fronty's. Having done Slindon, Bala and Avalanche now, the thing that hit's me is how deep the ruts are on Play'n'pay sites, probably due to macho Landies running mother f*****r 35" tyres digger down deeper when it's wet and muddy thus giving us grounding problems on our more common 31/32" tyres.
Yes, the woods are tighter with the tree obstacles but I think we've learnt our lessons when it's muddy. When it's dryer the whole site is doable with some very good technical areas to safely test our driving abilities. That said, when it's slippery, there are plenty of playing areas up to top to play in. Reckon we can give ourselves a massive pat on the back for what we have created.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Postby BadBoy on Sat May 07, 2011 10:55 am

In my opinion, the reason the woods differ so much is simples.
We have designed the woods around our trucks and their capabilities and a lot of maintenance work has been put into it to keep our ruts to a minimum.
We have learnt our lessons there when it's wet. If we get stuck we ask for help, and don't rip it up trying to self extract as doing so only makes it impossible for the next car to get through.
We have worked the site by trial and error and most of it can now be negotiated without the risk of damage. The areas that still need trees removing can be addressed at work days either by removing trees or the preferable (but more hard work) option of enhancing the tracks away from the trees so as to work to maintain the natural appearance of the site.

The consensus I got from the annual meet, was that we could see quite a few visitors from up north at the August weekender, so by continuing to work with the woods we should be able to maintain it's natural beauty, while creating a truck friendly site for all members to use.
Traffic lights in London are just rough guidelines
BadBoy
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: Looks a bit like a Kia Sorento 2.5CRDi Titian remapped for 265bhp!

Postby gregster on Sat May 07, 2011 11:37 am

A lot of hard work from our regular workers up the woods has made it possible to create a fun but safe area with loads of challenges.
Turning a site into an offroad site is easy enough, if you bulldoze it and then go in with a 20tonne plus machine, but trying to work so as to create something whilst not affecting the character of the site is far more difficult and time consuming for everyone.

The whole idea was to create somewhere that would be like all the tricky bits from 100miles or so laning, crammed into 25ish acres, so you are never more than a few feet from having to think again.
Also that the site should be challenging for the driver, but not so much the machine, such that a really good driver in good conditions in a standard machine would accomplish as much if not more than someone with all the gear and no idea. This is not easy, but I think we managed to get it right though with everyones input.

Site maintenance and the abundance of different routes now helps us prevent the site getting badly rutted with the number of vehicles in the winter months, and by being careful to recover before too much damage is done by a stuck car, as mentioned above, has really payed dividends up there. Restricting and reducing the number of meets in the winter has helped no end, as has giving the site a rest in its "growing time" by scheduling in the annual meet.

Everything up there was created with a fronty in mind, some of the major mods had to be bit extreme to start so that they packed down and weathered into good challenges after, but the more experienced lads with the more tricked cars enjoyed packing them down for us I think. 8)

Because the woods arent a commercial venture we dont have to cram 100's of cars in there every week, which would wreck the site, to pay off huge bank loans and wages etc...With the busier meets and weekenders, and quieter meets over all we just about manage to cover the rent, and maintainance of equipment and gradually get more stuff to use up there, thanks to the participation of our regulars and their generosity...so we dont need 100's of cars.

We always said it was much better to have fewer of the right people, than loads of the wrong ones up there...and as such the respect that everyone shows the site has again paid dividends in how it looks now.
Also we have managed to keep the land owner happy, he now has somewhere he can walk his dog with tracks to follow sooner than battling through a jungle, and even his daughter commented that she doesnt get lost up their any more and knows where she is going!

Well done everyone involved, and its gonna be great to share this at the weekenders this year.
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby davetheraveuk on Sat May 07, 2011 12:47 pm

looking good :dance:
ImageImage
davetheraveuk
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Vehicle Name: fart box
Modifications: muds will have a 2" lift did have a 2.5 muds and a 2" lift

Postby fudge on Sat May 07, 2011 10:00 pm

it is really looking good
i am really tempted to try and come down for the weekender in a few weeks time
fudge
Thumper
Thumper

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1991/J
Vehicle Name: the duck
Modifications: full roll cage
snorkle
SOA lift
winch bullbar
winch(ramsey pro 8000)
hilift jack mount
waffle boards mounts
jerry cans mount
cb radio
front and rear recovery
darken leanses
8x spot light
rear work light
bucket seat
5 point harness

more comming soon
Region: Southern England

Postby gregster on Sat May 07, 2011 10:05 pm

That would be great if you could Fudge...didnt get chance to catch up proper at the annual meet... 8)

gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby rospicer on Sun May 08, 2011 10:36 pm

The Woods look super cool there Greg, cant wait to get down to the next one... which will be my 1st as well.

Amazing lookng place :dance:
SHE MUST GET BIGGER BOOTS
ImageImage
rospicer
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Registration Year: 1993/L
Vehicle Name: COMING SOON
Modifications: Jeep Wrangler YJ 4.0 manual. BFG 31" heavy duty bumpers front and rear with recovery points, coming soon 4" likt and 33" boots

Postby gregster on Sun May 08, 2011 11:18 pm

Excellent...will be great to see you again buddy...and ya V6 is gonna sweet echoing round the woods!!! 8) 8) 8)
24th -26th june Get it on ya calender and then LAMINATE IT!!! 8) 8) 8)

gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery