// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - slindon offroad day-west sussex 25th July 2010 and REVIEW!!!

slindon offroad day-west sussex 25th July 2010 and REVIEW!!!

Kent to Oxfordshire

Including London North,South, East & West Bedfordshire Oxfordshire Hertfordshire

Moderator: gregster

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

Re: slindon offroad day-west sussex 25th July 2010 and REVIEW!!!

Postby Retro Pedro on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:27 pm

No tree damage today Greg but there's plenty of potential when it gets a bit slippy - only bent the one remaining side step but it's seen better days anyway.
Massive site with loads of different play activities. One area called 'The Outback' where even the macho cut and welded special Landy's get stuck. Signs up everywhere notifying 'winch only' so we had to give it a try. Neither of us could get through without assistance - me having to be pulled up out of the trap made by 35" landy tyres by James. Then we had the fun of getting James (Paul's mate with the tray back Disco) back with a motor that wouldn't start (starter motor), bent track rod so no steering. Helpful marshals gave a big helping hand by towing and me acting as anchor when it came to the slopes. That done then the marshal on the quad bike took me to one side and gave me a b*ll*cking for going in there in the first place with no winch or diff guards.
That said, there were plenty of Fronty friendly places so here goes with the few pics I took.
Day started with me getting the first Disco sclap. First bit of mud Paul found we all got through, then fella following us in his Disco got stuck in. What joy having to pull him out. Joking apart, he was a friendly bloke that got the white flag out.
Then we go and find a steeper slope with a bit more mud in the bottom. In dives Paul and this is part of the action of getting him out.
See Marks pics for our attempt to get Paul out.
Along comes James with is Disco and winch. First of all Paul was winched out backwards.
Then Paul as a go at driving it out but there's a massive hole in the way
So James drives up the top and attaches winch
What a time for the winch to decide not to play - so James as a go at pulling Paul out. Oh bugger was that the diff that as just gone as well. James is having a bad day
Along comes friendly man, just happens to be taking the family out for a ride in the country and also happens to have a winch on the front of this motor
And this is the Jeep that finally pulled Paul out
Paul finally out on his on steam
Mark doing is cross axle party trick. Pic doesn't tell the full story because he had previously got that wheel a good foot in the air.
Paul and Steve getting ready to do the counter balance
Paul's newly fashioned 'muddies'
Paul - don't let the wife see this pic because this is what you get up to when you take the kids out for the day.
Seriously, this is what can happen without local knowledge - up a fairly difficult climb only to find a massive hole that somebody as left as a trap.
Paul, at what point did you grow that mushroom.
And finally, Paul and Steve coming down the step toboggan run. Reckon we all slid down on our belly pans
Good day though - cheers Paul for sorting it out. Good to meet James and his mates
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.
Region: South East

Postby 2much on Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:29 pm

good day out was had by all - even if the usual war wounds here and there - on the last toboggan run paul, pete and me all managed to get identical scuffs to the rear quarter so that must demonstrate how good we all are at getting the right line :shock:
took the lads for a little mystery tour through the bushes which was quite entertaining - couldnt get out to see what was ahead as so narrow and couldnt see ahead because of bushes - we went anyway!
local knowledge would have helped, most had the 3 legged fronty at some point and i gave paul the shock of his life when i stopped after cresting a blind drop with him following v. closely :lol:

replacement diff held up (was very careful - at first) only got drp brackets on friday so no chance to fit but had me new qr arbs on and nearly lost a spring spacer :roll:

good venue but the depth of ruts would probably curtail most fronty activity especially in the wet - lots of trailered, big tyred trucks have been through many times before...

still my road is now covered in mud this morning and the works car park is getting the same way - by Wednesday i shouldnt need to clean it all 8)
2much
frontera God
frontera God

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Modifications: 2much!

Postby mapracing on Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:50 pm

What A great day, firstly met Steve (2 much) at Clackets, then met Pete (retropedro) on the M23 services Pease Pottage, so in convoy we drove to meet Mark (mgautos) at Angmering McDonalds where we also met my friend James in his Range Rover, then off to Slindon we went.

After just 10 minutes they dared me to drive down this slope into a smelly bog, not to disappoint I drove into it, where I stayed for an hour with everyone trying something different to tow me out, but in the end it happened to be a sunday driver in his Wrangler (how embarrasing), so after that we let Steve lead, not always a wise thing as he took us through bushes so thick we thought we was in a jungle, Pete was even hunting for Zulu's. I'm sure we all heard tigers. We then thought we would let my mate James in the Range Rover lead for a bit- another bad decision on my behalf as he led us into a place called The Outback, only allowed for vehicles with winches and full roll cages but never mind we tried it anyway and yes we had to be winched out.

After following Steve for a second time, hadn't learnt my lesson the first time round we went for this little drive up this very steep hill and when I got to the top my front wheel managed to find a big hole where I learnt how to balance a swb Frontera on the tip over point, I think when Pete drove up behind he was quite shocked by what he saw but that's the fun of not knowing where you are going.

Thanks
maverick (Steve) always up for a good challenge/dare, but I'm sure he drives with his eyes shut, just amazed by what he made us drive through.

Thanks
Pete - always there to tow us out of a sticky situation even if he snaps his rope in the process and another one always up for a good challenge.

Thanks
Mark - what can I say? went nearly everywhere in his lwb automatic with only two wheel drive and yes we did have to pull him out of a few places but he nearly rolled it under his own steam.

Thanks
James - well he lead us there and we managed to break his car for him, thanks for all your help.
Here's a few pics...Image
Pete trying to make his tyres look bigger with the extra mud
Yes Pete has to get towed out of this
Steve getting pulled out backwards by Pete
That was very close - thanks for a good picture Pete
mapracing
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1993/K
Vehicle Name: one arm Bandit
Modifications: 2" suspension lift 2" body lift roof light bar with 4 round spots and cb aerial monroe rear shocks home made snorkel 31/10.50/15 on black steel wheels recovery points front and back diff breathers manual hubs

Previous

Return to South East