// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Digger weekend review!!!!

Digger weekend review!!!!

Kent to Oxfordshire

Including London North,South, East & West Bedfordshire Oxfordshire Hertfordshire

Moderator: gregster

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

Re: Digger Weekend at the Woods...your support is needed!!!

Postby gregster on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Wotcha foggers....

Due to your fantastic support, the digger weekend is go.... :dance: :dance: :dance:

Digger is getting delivered today and I am heading off to meet it and make a start...

Anyone who wishes to come along and help is more than welcome,
no dogs or kids though as machines will be working...

Please bring supplies/food if you are coming up, I am staying all weekend so will be starving!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again for everyones support, and get your name down for the picnic at the end of may to see the fruits of our labour and your investment!!! 8)

Laters and many thanks

Gregster
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.
Region: South East

Postby Krusher on Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:37 pm

Come on, you gotta give up for the Gregster and the rest of the guys (and Sal) that have been up the woods all weekend giving the new look
woods a makeover. I went up there Saturday to give support but watching Greg giving it large with digger and Mapracing on on dumper duties
was great. True FOG spirit being shown and whatever was seen by previous attendees is now not the same, so a new experience awaits them.....

Heres the man himself having fun creating.......

Ramsgate, Kent
Never Imitated Often Battered
Krusher
I used to have a little pinky
I used to have a little pinky

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: STRIDENT
Modifications: +2" suspension lift and torsion bar wind up
Maletester Kaimen MT's
CB, LED daytime runners
FOG chrome bullbar
stainless mangled side steps
Air box with room for a goldfish

Postby Retro Pedro on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:55 pm

Spoke with the man today - and I do believe he his being reincarnated back to planet earth today.
Hats off to you mate - top draw effort what you have personally done over this weekend.

Message to Sal - I reckon you know wants on top of the Christmas present list for this coming year :D
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Postby mapracing on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:07 pm

i totally agree with pete well done to greg without all of his ideas and hard work the southeast members would'nt have anything. so have a good sleep mate you well deserve it. :well done: :well done: :well done:

Retro Pedro wrote:Spoke with the man today - and I do believe he his being reincarnated back to planet earth today.
Hats off to you mate - top draw effort what you have personally done over this weekend.

Message to Sal - I reckon you know wants on top of the Christmas present list for this coming year :D
mapracing
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1993/K
Vehicle Name: one arm Bandit
Modifications: 2" suspension lift 2" body lift roof light bar with 4 round spots and cb aerial monroe rear shocks home made snorkel 31/10.50/15 on black steel wheels recovery points front and back diff breathers manual hubs

Postby Drift on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Spoke to him myself......he put some hours on that machine, he halved its value :lol: :lol:
Ste
FOG Administrator

Frontera Technical Support
Often Imitated Never Bettered

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk
Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Daddy's Car or Triggers Broom
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)
Region: North West

Postby Ch3f on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:40 pm

The site is looking great, i went up yesterday after work and have joined in with creating some awesome works of art :D :D Greg has worked an absolute blinder on the place, it is looking amazing! Greg deserves a LONG GOODNIGHTS sleep, i was there from 330pm to 930pm and he was working like a machine. We ALL have something to look forward to! Nice one :D :D
Ch3f
Apprentice Frontera engineer
Apprentice Frontera engineer

Modifications: Driving a Renault Megane sadly, looking for a B-series 2.2DTi
Region: International

Postby gregster on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:48 pm

Wotcha Foggers....

Firstly,

Huge thanks to everyone for their donations of time and/or hard earned cash to make the digger weekend happen...

It really is fantastic the support that we have had with our woods, and the commitment that our members have shown is nothing short of remarkable...

And the results I believe will speak for themselves...a true testiment to everyone's efforts present or supporting us from further afield..

Finally got or the gear unloaded, had a lovely shower (much brown water :oops: ) and grabbed a couple of hours sleep this afternoon without really meaning to...
getting an early night as am going back to work 2moz for a rest...will do a proper post 2moz evening when I am not so knackered and I can stay awake!!

Well done everyone, a bloody good weekend, and loads sorted, massively worthwhile...
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby bobbinsjob on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:37 pm

well done Gregter and everyone else who has helped or donated. And especially to Sal for putting up with him
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728
1996 2.8 SWB called VIPER

Members Ride section for VIPER

Comments on VIPER here

GET YOUR CARTOON CAR HERE
bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: Viper
Modifications: Deep offset Steel modular wheels with 32/11.5/15 Kuhmo KL71 mud tyres
+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Modified Navara tubular rear bumper
Mental cammo paint job

Postby gregster on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:25 pm

Was driving past the digger hire place today, so I thought I would pop in and check that everything was ok with the digger and my deposit had been refunded...

The manager behind the counter said there was no probs with it at all, and nothing had been damaged, and then said.....

"oh by the way.......did you sleep in the feckin thing, as it had done 48 hrs running hrs in just a weekend!!!" :shock: :shock: :shock:

I acted kinda surprised, promptly answered that we had left it running quite a lot to use the worklights on it as it was easier, as self propelled, than dragging a genny and lighting gantry around the woods when working late at night....

He laughed and said that made sense, as it had been baffling them all, as to how anyone managed to stick that many hours on a machine in such a short time, as they had never come accross it before, ever!!!... :oops:

I then promptly left the office :oops: and saw digger no.53 sitting looking sad in the corner of the yard, and I couldnt resist going of to it and brushing a bit of dust off it and giving it little affectionate pat....sad eh....but I became quite attached to the little digger that weekend, I did everything I asked, was gentle with me when I made mistakes, and was patient with me as I grew from being a newbie with little experience to a fairly good digger driver...

It was a cracking machine, and surprised me just how capable it was, in terms of digging ability, controllability and offroad ability....
got to say it wasnt a make I had ever heard of...not like JCB etc, lets face it Takeuchi sound likes an budget brand name for crappy dvd players or something, but they are fantastically built machines, and its got the sweetest of diesel engines I have ever heard, at just over idle it purred so quietly that I didnt sound right for a piece of plant equipment...bloody impressed with it, will deffo get one of these again (if I am allowed!) and if I win the lottery next weekend then a Takeuchi TB125 will be the first thing I will buy :lol: :lol: :lol:

gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Digger weekend review!!!!

Postby gregster on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:15 pm

To follow

gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Re: Digger weekend review!!!!

Postby Wilberforce on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:19 pm

Excellent stuff mate...

Clear, concise, unbiased review there. Love it :wink: :butt:
Jim...

South East Picnic site information

| Jessica - 2002 Isuzu Trooper Insignia LWB | 3.1 ltr hybrid conversion |
Wilberforce
The stick insect
The stick insect

Registration Year: 2002/51
Vehicle Name: Jessica

Postby gregster on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:26 pm

Wilberforce wrote:Excellent stuff mate...

Jim....had to stick something in the Review thread to be able to merge the posts...there is always one to point out the bleedin obvious and its our own wiblerforce...numpty springs to mind... :butt:

gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby Wilberforce on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:29 pm

gregster wrote:
Wilberforce wrote:Excellent stuff mate...

Jim....had to stick something in the Review thread to be able to merge the posts...there is always one to point out the bleedin obvious and its our own wiblerforce...numpty springs to mind... :butt:

Oh, I dunno... I rather like the terms "muppet" and "cretin" too :mrgreen:
Jim...

South East Picnic site information

| Jessica - 2002 Isuzu Trooper Insignia LWB | 3.1 ltr hybrid conversion |
Wilberforce
The stick insect
The stick insect

Registration Year: 2002/51
Vehicle Name: Jessica

Postby gregster on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:42 pm

Wotcha foggers......

Sorry about the delay in posting a proper response in respect of the weekends events....I was gonna do it last night after sal went to bed, but fell asleep on the sofa and woke up at 5.45 this morning :oops:

Right then, firstly my apols if I get any of the details wrong as the weekend is a kinda blur when it comes to the details!! Lack of sleep might have something to do with it, 48hrs working the digger with about 8 hrs sleep over 3 nights dont help :lol:

Friday evening...
Digger arrived late afternoon, and sal soon after joined me...Had a play in the clearing first to get familiar with the digger before tackling anything in amoungst the trees...Graded out the rutted bottom of the horseshoe bit and put a hole at the bottom to help drainage...Sal then gave me ideas and the humpy bits near the pond got improved.. so blame sal for that! Graded the caravan entrance...
Steve 2much then arrived in his snot green as we made a start improving the left hand track which runs to the far end of the bottom of site after sorting the route at the last workday...basically it was very sideslopey and kinda threw you into the trees when it was wet down there, so needed cutting into the bank and leveling so the main track at the bottom that we made which the farmer now uses doesnt get so chewed up through over use...Pete then joined us...Pete steve sal and louis cleared the way for the digger and worked out other routes in the woods for the top track to be done much later when I felt brave!
I cracked on with the digger doing the track and Steve then drove it to bed it in and test for tree clearances...
This was the first late one, pete and I finished just over half of the new lower track by stupid oclock, and decided to call it a night...
We tracked back to the clearing and I got ready for my first night in the woods...
I stupidly didnt park the car very well, so was kinda sleeping upside down, was freezin cold, my head felt like an ice cube (i foolishly got my hair cut earlier that day...no1 up the back and sides wasnt the brightest idea!)
Needless to say I managed about an hours kip and about 5.30am decided to get up as couldnt sleep and loads to do...

Saturday...
Started work early joined by Map racing paul and Retro pedro and Krusher Kel and later on Sally...
we finished the track to the far end of the site, by about lunchtime (no time for lunch breaks though!) kel drove it in his lwb to pack it in a bit....and then we borrowed a 2 tonne thwaites dumper of the landowner to shift earth...This dumper had to be tow started and was a cranking handle jobbie but it had so much compression you couldnt turn it over by hand even with decompression valve open...Kel tow started it with his 2.8 and I nearly rolled it as the steering didnt really work without the engine running and kinda crossaxled it up a pile of roadstone in the farmyard... :oops:
It worked well though, apart from refusing to idle and the handbrake not working...but paul mastered the beast
We dug out and graded the stump garden so now the farm track/extraction route is smooth right to the bottom of the site... the earth removed was added to a big pile already in the clearing by the horseshoe from the landowner...
When then modified the under tree track and the bottom of the very final track...
After Kel and Pete had gone home, Paul and I shaped the pile of earth and nearby holes so that track was again driveable and interesting...The bottoms of some of the other tracks where modified to make them more interesting and stop cars risking sliding into the trees...Dug a tyre changing hole in the clearing also..
It was getting really late and Paul went home to grab a bit of sleep, and grabbed a brew then set about the tedious job of regrading and removing the rutts out of the upper farm track...it took ages, finished about 1.30am...
Tracked back down to the bottom and grabbed a few hours sleep...actually managed to get some to, albiet against the wishes of a woodpecker who I must have p1ssed of somehow...

sunday
Got up bright and early at 5.30 and started getting sorted, sharpening chainsaws etc, refuelling the digger...then paul arrived with brecky, followed a bit later by pete with more brecky!
Sundays efforts were concentrated at the top of the woods improving tracks and adding loads of really interesting bits...ch3f darren and sally cmae up later as did my li'll bruv...the bomb holes where all reworked, stumps removed and several new tracks added...
Pete and Paul shared dumper duties and both did really well considering how tight and uneven it was up there...
Final job was the new top track through the woods...something I wasnt looking forwards to as it meant working 2/3 of the way up a 30 degree sideslope, basicically cutting a ditch infront of the digger, piling the spoil to the lower side, grading with the bucket, and then carfuling dozing it with the digger and tracking onto the new level bit...this took ages, kinda 10ft at a time, with the digger precariously balanced at the top of a severe incline....didnt enjoy this bit at all, and thanks to petes assistance we managed to finally break out onto the main farm track after many "Moments"...
We then called it a day and had a well earned brew...at well gone midnight...

Monday
Got up at 5.30 to try and get a bit more done, tidied a couple of bits that were difficult on the new lower track, cleared the clearing, and expanded the parking areas around our communial area.. felled that awkward tree that was in the way in the clearing, and dug out all the stumps in the clearing, and dug/loosly refilled and area where we can now easily bury the bbq ash...Didnt want to venture too far from the clearing as thats where they knew to collect the digger from...
Digger was collected and had a final tidy up and loaded all the gear into the car and trailer and left the woods about lunchtime....knackered!!!

Well there you have it....had some right laughs and got loads done, thanks to everyone for their help over the weekend, and bringing me supplies...
Had a look tonight with Paul when he bought his front diff down for me to weld up...and its looking really good,

well done and thanks to everyone for their support in making this possible....everyone get your names down for the next picnic and weekender to see for yourself the improvements we have made ...

Laters

Gregster

gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery