// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Workday at the Woods...REVIEW 28th March

Workday at the Woods...REVIEW 28th March

Kent to Oxfordshire

Including London North,South, East & West Bedfordshire Oxfordshire Hertfordshire

Moderator: gregster

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

Workday at the Woods...REVIEW 28th March

Postby gregster on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:20 pm

Hiya Foggers....

A big thanks to those who came and helped on what was a really productive days grafting...

Todays mob where (in no particular order)

Retro Pedro...
Pete was there as always with his trusty 2.8 shorty again proving itself on extraction duty and dragging stuff duty!
A good grafter is our pete, and was a great help with the gravity defying trees that wanted to go up not down!! Cheers for giving Ch3f a guided tour of the site matey...

Hounddog...
Phil bought his 2.8lwb up, and his nutter dog...the little staff must have covered 20miles today I reckon...Phil got a bit stuck at one point and needed a double tow extraction and the top of his rear door now sports a little bit of "character"...tis the joy of workdays when driving stuff that aint been really driven before, makes it much more challenging and difficult...

MG autos (mark)
Mark arrived b4 everyone else in his td5 disco...really nice truck, but too nice to inflict on the woods on a/t's when its this guey...Mark slaved away draggin logs and trees around all day...and nearly caught a branch of a tree that someone felled nearby... :roll:

Wilblerforce...
Jim arrived with houndog today...car sharing, doing the green thing trying to offset all the trees we were gonna loose today...
Plus with the 2 sharing the same car, it meant that they halfed the journey time, so only 1/2 hr, that was my logic after a tree bounced off my head...Jim managed to avoid most if the falling debris today...but foolishly stood behind the chevy which was in some really wet guey mud...I accidently slipped into 2wd without realising...and then accidently dropped the clutch at 3500rpm into 2nd...whoops...I hate it when that happens! :lol:

Mapracing...
Paul done really well today...you would never know he was only using one hand...we done mate...Arrived in his L200 and found the easier route into the woods today!! Came up with some blinding ideas for digger weekend... 8)
Paul now knows what a PROPER crew cab pickup can do... :lol:

Ch3f...
It was Darrens first visit to the woods today, having only recently moved up here...He came up mid afternoon after finishing work...Will be remembered for his pink sparkle baseball cap and getting the shitroen stuck on a flat bit a grass!!! Cheers for your help mate and good to get you involved in our project...

Gregsters Boss...
Sally was there as always, showing the lads the pace when it comes to lopping and clearing stuff...Sal made a new best friend with Roxy...Sally also managed to make a hole in her pink wellies today, and foolishly got in the chevy when we were going for a bit of a drive around!

Gregster...
Thats me...The guys today got to see the chevy for the last time (in its present guise) as its coming off the road at the end of the month, to disappear for a while, to reappear later this year with exo-cage, nissan patrol axles, double transfer box, 38's and new paint job...
The day started by swapping over the wheels on the chevy...taking the 10j chrome mods with 33-12.50-15 kuhmo M/ts off and fitted the 33-12.50-15 BFG mud terrains on fronty A series star alloys...They fit and work well...the kuhmos would have had me getting stuck today as they clog more and on the 10j's have a much bigger footprint which is not so good for getting loads of grip which was needed...gotta say they worked really well so its a big YES YES YES for anyone who wondered about whether 33-12.50-15's would work on a 7j fronty alloy wheel!!!

The day...
We started off in the clearing at the bottom of the woods and set about opening up the track to the left of the access track which runs to the far end of the bottom of the site...This 2nd track now runs the length of the site and is ready for digger abuse for your entertainment! Further access points where added to this track and the entrances to some of the climbs improved...We then extended the access track to the far end of the site, right up to our marker tape...
The final climb now has an optional straight approach right from the very bottom without the left hand turn as you start to climb, this removes steve 2much's "in the tree's parking space"...sorry mate... :lol:
The final climb isnt the final climb any more...as we put in a new one with a couple of different routes up to the right of it...The original final climb was modified loosing the awkward tree chicane 3/4 of the way up, so its now much easier...
The area at the top of the final climbs was then opened up and new tracks put it that can be diggerised...
This area was also opened up to the other climbs to the left of the final climbs so much more to do up that end now...
This was were Houndog got stuck, after successfully doing the old final climb...I bust the o/s indicator on the chevy and cracked the nsr wheel arch trim trying to get into position to assist pete to recover him, and had a battle almighty with a tree root that was out to get me...It isnt there anymore...claimed a chainsaw chain though...It learnt a lesson though when the mattock came out!
Next was to open up the new top access track...we lost a few trees making the turns much easier, the chevy drives it with ease now, as thats a fair bit longer than a lwb fronty with longer wheelbase too...
The trees were on one today...The few that did fall, did so in totally the wrong direction, one ended up on top of the chevy!...but most decided to get stuck in amoungst the other trees...so today was all about gravity defying swinging trees... :twisted:
Had a load of debris from another tree land on me today, got a really nice cut and bruise on my shoulder!
We then started Identying areas off the upper access track that were ripe for diggerisation...we got a few bits cleared ready, but it gets really confusing as there are no tracks there and will probably be better done after the next picnic when there are more tyre tracks everywhere to go by...and we have done enough to get a headstart with the digger, and we can clear the rest as we go...
Then we went for a drive around and play to finish off the day...
Jim was my encourager in this session of stupidity...the old chevy did really well as always, until we went down a hill and realised that there was no way the chevy would get out the bottom as much too tight...Trashed the other front indicator and end of grill trying to get into position to get out somehow...couldnt reverse back up the hill, not for the want of trying, so picked a "new" route and bulldozed our way out...through the undergrowth and fallen trees...
Next we had a go at the hill by the stump garden...got a third of the way up several times but i just didnt have enough traction on this really steep hill which was really slippy...Jim then made a fatal mistake..he said it aint gonna make it today...so I reversed out through the stump garden...then planted it in 2nd....was a bit dramatic, but it went up the hill...good ole chevy...coming down was a bit hairy though...started to slip away on overrun coming down and I was loosing it, and had to plant it to regain traction and get it under control again...Jim seemed to enjoy the full throttle down hill technique...well it worked didnt it...

Then we all said our goodbyes and buggered orf home....knackered!!!

Big thanks for everyones help..the next picnic is gonna be cool, new bits to conquer and the old bits improved too...
Thanks Mark for the indicators which he kindly offered from his 2.3td that he is breaking, and thanks for the digger donations guys...
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.
Region: South East

Re: Workday at the Woods...REVIEW 28th March

Postby Krusher on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:11 am

Sounds like you had a very busy day, lookin forward to the next picnic now....
Ramsgate, Kent
Never Imitated Often Battered
Krusher
I used to have a little pinky
I used to have a little pinky

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: STRIDENT
Modifications: +2" suspension lift and torsion bar wind up
Maletester Kaimen MT's
CB, LED daytime runners
FOG chrome bullbar
stainless mangled side steps
Air box with room for a goldfish

Postby Wilberforce on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:37 am

Busy indeed. Should be fun at the next picnic, especially if it stays relatively dry..

Should be even more fun once the digger weekend has happened. Suffice to say, Greg has *PLANS*
Jim...

South East Picnic site information

| Jessica - 2002 Isuzu Trooper Insignia LWB | 3.1 ltr hybrid conversion |
Wilberforce
The stick insect
The stick insect

Registration Year: 2002/51
Vehicle Name: Jessica
Region: North West

Postby Drift on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:43 pm

Sounds like a worth while day, lots done 8)
Ste
FOG Administrator

Frontera Technical Support
Often Imitated Never Bettered

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk
Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Daddy's Car or Triggers Broom
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)
Region: North West

Postby Retro Pedro on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:56 pm

Knackered is an understatement - overlayed today and didn't get to work till 9a.m. when I should be there at 8a.m. - and it's only a 5 minute drive.
Although we've had our fun in the mud (got the battle scars to prove it) - nice to be able to get the hills back again.
The savering moment when you start the climb with one breathe and don't take the next when till you reach the top and after all the stuff that was on the dashboard as taken flight and landed all over the lap of the front seat passenger.
See, all you peps that haven't been down there yet, this is what you are missing.
Glad Ch3f (Darren) enjoyed his ride - wish I had a camera to show his face when he saw that we were going to go down the slope towards the stump garden - I think it would have been worded - Bloody Hell!
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Postby Hound Dog on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:23 pm

Just a quick note from Roxie "Sal, Roxie says thanks for wearing me out" she slept all night and did move till i went to work at 4am this morning.
ROADS? WHERE WERE GOING WE DON'T NEED ROADS!!

Hound Dogs Tractor
Hound Dogs Tractor Comments
Hound Dog
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Vehicle Name: Tractor
Modifications: 2" suspension lift EGR and birds nest removed.
Region: Southern England

Postby gregster on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:08 am

Thanks again everyone for your help....a most productive day....and a good laff to boot... :dance:

To update....we are only £60 off the digger fund target, the digger is all booked, just raising the fuel money now...so please check under ya car seats and down the back of the sofa and donate what you can afford, every bit helps and is gratefully receieved and goes to making our playground better for everyone!!!

Cheers for everyones support!! 8) 8) 8)
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery