// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Workday Review 22nd November 2009

Workday Review 22nd November 2009

Kent to Oxfordshire

Including London North,South, East & West Bedfordshire Oxfordshire Hertfordshire

Moderator: gregster

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

Workday Review 22nd November 2009

Postby gregster on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:08 pm

Wotcha foggers...

Todays workday was a different experience....

Not a great turnout this time round, but still got a load done between the 3 of us...

Sal and I made a start on clearing the clearing at the bottom in the rain, ready for camping 8) ....

Pete then arrived after an airport run, and bought torrential rain with him....cheers mate!

Did it stop us......NO......we got soaked, but then you dont get any wetter once fully saturated, so we pushed on, and cleared probably 2/3rds of the camping area, cutting down some of the trees, logging up all the stuff that was littering the clearing floor, and moving all the wood/debris into several large piles near where the campfire will be...

The rain finally got too much so we retreated to the cars, and Pete and I went off to explore the rest of the site...and survey the damage the recent high winds had caused...
I was still tipping it down, and it made the driving far more challenging...
For those who are familiar with the site...the li'll white leafer would NOT do the easy horseshoe shape track on the left as you first come into the bottom...and I could not get up the final climb down the far end of the bottom... :shock:
I was running the dirtdevils on it...and they just clogged after 2 seconds and I could find no traction....
Pete's 2.8 fared better, with its simexy things....did the horse shoe with a bit of sliding around, and managed the final climb a couple of times....but it couldnt make it up the climb when you go through the whole under the tree, next to the final climb!!!!

Will be having me dumper tyres on for the picnic me thinks!!! 8)

Down the bottom a huge tree had come down across Krushers revenge...

Several other trees/branches were across the various tracks...which we cleared as we went around...

We then checked out up the top where it was ok, but difficult to see the tracks as so many leaves had fallen, but where it muddy they quickly become apparent again by driving on them...

My little bruv came up for a while to lend and hand and see what weve been up to up the woods... 8) He bought a bit of sunshine with him thankfully!!

We decided that the access track at the bottom needed more work...there is one bit where you first come out of the clearing and head down towards the stump garden, where you have to do a kind of slalom, and maybe a shunt where the track is single not twin as it is most of the way through...
This had to go...the slalom can still be done if you want to, but the shunt is difficult as its on a sideslope, and the tendancy is to slide towards the trees...I also find this bit quite challenging when towing a trailer round there....

So we felled a few trees, and opened a new cutting through, so now you can drive pretty much straight right down the bottom, next to the fence, down to the stump garden...tis much better, making the tricky bits optional and giving us a decent extraction route and trailer route...

We then tidied down the bottom and removed a load of branches so access is even better...

We then tackled the huge tree accross Krushers revenge...cutting it down in sections and logging it all up...so that is open again...

We then went for a wander and identied some new climbs that will be fairly straight-forwards to commission...2 or 3 in total...I will open them up in the morning at the picnic if not before...
We decided against doing these today as time was pushing on and daylight was fading...

So instead we spent the last part of the day clearing the fallen trees between the stump garden and fence....We felled a few more there also, so with a little bit more work this will mean the stump garden/side slopey bit are now optional, so a standard car should be able to drive right through the bottom of the site...
We finished up working by headlights, but it was getting too dangerous on the very slippy uneven stump garden so we called it a day before someone got hurt...and retired to the workshop for a well earned cuppa!!

So there you have it....

Cheers Pete, Sal and Little Bro for your help today...it was a horrid day, we got cold and soaked, but we are one step nearer being ready for the weekender and all the recent storm damage is sorted.....Jolly well done!!!

Laters

Gregster...

A few pickies...was peeing down too much most of today to get the cameras out...so not many I am afraid! :oops:

Group shots of the cars today...

The much much clearer clearing...our campsite!!!

The Fronties...

Petes 2.8 swb...

Our 2.5tds...

Our L'ill white leafer...

The carnage...

Pete's OSR quarter....matches the other side now though...

Li'll white leafers OS mirror....slid sideways into a tree...trying to do something I knew it wouldnt do...when will I learn!
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.
Region: South East

Re: Workday Review 22nd November 2009

Postby Krusher on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:30 pm

excellent job there gents and Sal, sorry I couldnt make it, I had to do family duty today in the end :cry: . I will of course make sure that I'm on downtime for the next one.

Looks like the woods are now going to start defeating us, Is getting technically difficult to negotiate. Oh yes :dance: :dance:
Last edited by Krusher on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ramsgate, Kent
Never Imitated Often Battered
Krusher
I used to have a little pinky
I used to have a little pinky

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: STRIDENT
Modifications: +2" suspension lift and torsion bar wind up
Maletester Kaimen MT's
CB, LED daytime runners
FOG chrome bullbar
stainless mangled side steps
Air box with room for a goldfish

Postby Retro Pedro on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:54 pm

Greg, it's cheers to you mate - without the efforts you and Sal have put in, that site would not exists. And without that site, we wouldn't have a stunning place to enjoy our hobby.
It's certainly getting more interesting skating and sliding about. Still fun though. Just need extra care and caution on descents. Don't need it on the ascents cause you can't get up them!
Weather we caught it at it's extreme because of the torrential rain, and the ground not having had time to drain at bit, remains to be seen. Time will tell. But don't let that put anybody off, there are still areas where you can do the climbs - up by the parking area. And the bomb holes are still do able. Just need to take your time to allow for the sideways sliding dimension.
Need to hose the motor off and give all four quarter panels at slight dent pushing session and nobody would know any different!
Bring on the 6th.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Postby gregster on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:34 pm

Krusher wrote:excellent job there gents and Sal, sorry I couldnt make it, I had to do family duty today in the end :cry: . I will of course make sure that I'm on downtime for the next one.

Looks like the woods are now going to start defeating us, Is getting technically difficult to negotiate. Oh yes :dance: :dance:

Shame you couldnt make it mate....workdays aint the same without our test-pilot!!!

Sally even wore her pink wellies to match ya motor....cos she thought you were coming :lol: :lol:
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby Road Hog on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:46 pm

gregster wrote:
Pete then arrived ......... and bought torrential rain with him....cheers mate!

:shock: Is Retro Pedro related to FUDDY MUCKER :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry Jase but you knew t was coming :D
Road Hog
Forum Wino
Forum Wino

Region: International

Postby gregster on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:08 am

Retro Pedro wrote:Greg, it's cheers to you mate - without the efforts you and Sal have put in, that site would not exists. And without that site, we wouldn't have a stunning place to enjoy our hobby.
It's certainly getting more interesting skating and sliding about. Still fun though. Just need extra care and caution on descents. Don't need it on the ascents cause you can't get up them!
Weather we caught it at it's extreme because of the torrential rain, and the ground not having had time to drain at bit, remains to be seen. Time will tell. But don't let that put anybody off, there are still areas where you can do the climbs - up by the parking area. And the bomb holes are still do able. Just need to take your time to allow for the sideways sliding dimension.
Need to hose the motor off and give all four quarter panels at slight dent pushing session and nobody would know any different!
Bring on the 6th.

Thanks for that Pete...you and the other members have put a load of work in too...Sal and I couldnt have done it without everyones support...
Admittedly today really tested all our commitment to the max...
I was so tempted to say "Sod-it lets go to the pub", when it was absolutely pouring down and we were trudging around totally soaked...

The site is really coming on, its amazing to think that we have only been going there for 3 months...seems much longer than that!!...but just think what it will be like after a year...will be awesome 8) 8)

The decents are certainly interesting.... :shock:
For those reading this who werent there today, I had a real moment coming down the hill to the stump garden...
coming down the first bit was ok, just using engine overrun to control the speed...then as it got steeper tried adding some cadence braking to slow it down a bit....but then the car just took off down hill...really damn quickly....tyres were clogged and although still turning, the car was basically freefalling down the slope...
heading straight towards a semi fallen tree, which would have acted as a lovely ramp for tipping us on our side!!!
There was only one thing for it....wait till the last minute, and bury the throttle, to try and regain some traction and drag the car to the right away from the tree...it had to work, or I would have just made the demise of the li'll white leafer even more spectacular!!!
Worked a treat...dragged the car about 10ft to the right, where it missed the tree and came to rest against one of the mounds in the stump garden....

Was a bit hairy though.... :shock:
My brother loved it though....I think :oh yer:
He's thinking of getting a fronty to come play too now...good man!! 8)

Them bronco dirt devils on the leafer are useless in mud that is shallow, the centre tread blocks are too big, and the gaps too small, so they clog in seconds...and the muds not rutted enough for the sidelugs to do their thing....normal M/t's would have done much better and been alright I reckon....

Pete's simexy things worked a treat...awesome traction...had a go in Pete's car today, its pukka...need to get me a 2.8 shorty and some of them tyres!!!

Krusher...you need to get insa turbo's for you Lwb matey...they are worth every penny!!

Thanks again for your help today Pete...the 6th is gonna be wicked!!!

gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby BadBoy on Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:45 pm

Well done guys & gals.
Wish I'd not taken my name off the list for this one, but lack of transport decided that for me.
I'll be supporting the play day on 6th with me camera, and if anyone has a spare seat it would be appreciated, as BadGirl has told KITT he's not allowed to go out to play in the mud just yet, and mine still has the bust front diff.
Traffic lights in London are just rough guidelines
BadBoy
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: Looks a bit like a Kia Sorento 2.5CRDi Titian remapped for 265bhp!

Return to South East