// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Hi everyone :)

Hi everyone :)

A Place to introduce yourself and say hello! - Please do not post questions here. If you are unsure of where to post a question, please post it in the General section and one of the FOG staff will move it to the correct place

Hi everyone :)

Postby xena_wales on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:12 am

Hi all. Just joined so better introduce myself :D

I'm 29, a laydee, used to have a 2.2 petrol Fronty, but changed it for a 3.2 V6 a couple of years ago. It used to have a fairly easy life but I've recently bought a horse trailer so now has to lug my heffalump hoss around :twisted: .

I've had a couple of problems with it since I had it, we had to replace the clutch, and one of the front wheelbearings went, and we had terrible trouble replacing it as the sizes wouldn't match up - ended up loctiting it into the hub! I'll stick a post up about that at some stage, see if anyone else has had that trouble.

I'm also having trouble with losing coolant at the moment. I need to do a bit more investigative work, then I'll probably be asking for help in the 3.2 sub-forum!

Anyway, that's me. Cheers guys!
xena_wales
mud splasher
mud splasher

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/X
Region: South Wales

Postby **ROB** on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:18 am

hi xena welcome to the forum love, hope you find what you need :wink:
**ROB**
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Registration Year: 1993/K
Vehicle Name: THE HULK
Modifications: 3.1TD CITATION TROOPER
Standard apart from BF Goodrich A/T's
Region: North West

Postby Red Oktober on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:21 am

Hiya xena
Welcome :D
Red Oktober
Retired

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Region: South West

Postby john (smifffy) on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:24 am

Hi xena

welcome to the forum :D :D
cheers

john (smifffy)
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.2i 5dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Modifications: 1996 2.2 16v diamond pack

2014 new astra 2.2 SRI cdti SS sports tourer
Region: East Anglia

Postby lee thompson on Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:19 am

hi xena welcome,i too had a coolant leak! turned out to be the radiator,hope ya get it sorted.
opel frontera lwb 16v 2.2 petrol...punctuation is important for example."i once helped my uncle jack off a horse"
lee thompson
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Postby Davey on Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:03 pm

Welcome aboard!

If there is no physical sign of a leak Have you bled of the cooling system correctly, it sounds really bizzare but it must be done this way:

Draining and Refilling Cooling System

Before draining the cooling system, inspect the system and perform any necessary service to ensure that it is clean, does not leak and is in proper working order. The engine coolant (EC) level should be between the “MIN” and “MAX” lines of reserve tank when the engine is cold. If low, check for leakage and add EC up to the “MAX” line.

There should not be any excessive deposit of rust or scales around the radiator cap or radiator filler hole, and the EC should also be free from oil. Replace the EC if excessively dirty.

1. Completely drain the cooling system by opening the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator.

2. Remove the radiator cap. WARNING: TO AVOID THE DANGER OF BEING BURNED, DO NOT REMOVE THE CAP WHILE THE ENGINE AND RADIATOR ARE STILL HOT. SCALDING FLUID AND STEAM CAN BE BLOWN OUT UNDER PRESSURE.

3. Disconnect all hoses from the EC reserve tank. Scrub and clean the inside of the reserve tank with soap and water. Flush it well with clean water, then drain it. Install the reserve tank and hoses.4. Refill the cooling system with the EC using a solution that is at least 50 percent antifreeze but no more than 70 percent antifreeze.

4. Refill the cooling system with the EC using a solution that is at least 50 percent antifreeze but no more than 70 percent antifreeze.

5. Fill the radiator to the base of the filler neck. Fill the EC reserve tank to “MAX” line when the engine is cold.

6. Block the drive wheels and firmly apply the parking brake. Shift an automatic transmission to “P” (Park) or a manual transmission to neutral.

7. Remove the radiator cap. Start the engine and warm it up at 2,500 ~ 3,000 rpm for about 30 minutes.

8. When the air comes out from the radiator filler neck and the EC level has gone down, replenish with the EC. Repeat this procedure until the EC level does not go down. Then stop the engine and install the radiator cap. Let the engine cool down.

9. After the engine has cooled, replenish with EC up to the “MAX” line of the reserve tank.

10. Start the engine. With the engine running at 3,000 rpm, make sure there is no running water sound from the heater core (behind the center console).
11. If the running water sound is heard, repeat steps 8 to 10.
Currently on Frontera No.3..
ES9000's, 3" Suspension lift, Kumho 834 MT's.
Davey
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Postby KILVY on Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:06 pm

hi and welcome to the madhouse :P
* Dave, Member of 4x4uk * http://www.4x4uk.org *
95 Fronty Sport (Retired)
99 Fronty 2.2Dti Limited Lwb in Met. Black.(Dead ... Now Sold Residing in Portugal)
NISSAN X-TRAIL 2.2Di SE+
KILVY
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Region: North East

Postby fuzion on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:49 pm

Welcome to the forum :D
fuzion
Mole

Postby **Ian** on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:10 pm

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

Ian
Good old 2.3 "Smoky Slug" PRO COMP ES9000s all round and homemade rocksliders.....
**Ian**
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Postby stu on Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:42 am

hello and welcome . :D
out of retirement and out of my head
stu
Retired

Region: International

Re:

Postby 4x4lover1 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:53 pm

Davey wrote:Welcome aboard!

If there is no physical sign of a leak Have you bled of the cooling system correctly, it sounds really bizzare but it must be done this way:

Draining and Refilling Cooling System

Before draining the cooling system, inspect the system and perform any necessary service to ensure that it is clean, does not leak and is in proper working order. The engine coolant (EC) level should be between the “MIN” and “MAX” lines of reserve tank when the engine is cold. If low, check for leakage and add EC up to the “MAX” line.

There should not be any excessive deposit of rust or scales around the radiator cap or radiator filler hole, and the EC should also be free from oil. Replace the EC if excessively dirty. I fort you wasn't ment to opeing thebrad neck at all only when off to top it up ????? Confusing here

1. Completely drain the cooling system by opening the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator.

2. Remove the radiator cap. WARNING: TO AVOID THE DANGER OF BEING BURNED, DO NOT REMOVE THE CAP WHILE THE ENGINE AND RADIATOR ARE STILL HOT. SCALDING FLUID AND STEAM CAN BE BLOWN OUT UNDER PRESSURE.

3. Disconnect all hoses from the EC reserve tank. Scrub and clean the inside of the reserve tank with soap and water. Flush it well with clean water, then drain it. Install the reserve tank and hoses.4. Refill the cooling system with the EC using a solution that is at least 50 percent antifreeze but no more than 70 percent antifreeze.

4. Refill the cooling system with the EC using a solution that is at least 50 percent antifreeze but no more than 70 percent antifreeze.

5. Fill the radiator to the base of the filler neck. Fill the EC reserve tank to “MAX” line when the engine is cold.

6. Block the drive wheels and firmly apply the parking brake. Shift an automatic transmission to “P” (Park) or a manual transmission to neutral.

7. Remove the radiator cap. Start the engine and warm it up at 2,500 ~ 3,000 rpm for about 30 minutes.

8. When the air comes out from the radiator filler neck and the EC level has gone down, replenish with the EC. Repeat this procedure until the EC level does not go down. Then stop the engine and install the radiator cap. Let the engine cool down.

9. After the engine has cooled, replenish with EC up to the “MAX” line of the reserve tank.

10. Start the engine. With the engine running at 3,000 rpm, make sure there is no running water sound from the heater core (behind the center console).
11. If the running water sound is heard, repeat steps 8 to 10.
4x4lover1
Fronty Engineer
Fronty Engineer

Registration Year: 1999/V
Vehicle Name: 4x4loverdiscreet
Modifications: Colour match
2.2i petrol limited edition

Re: Hi everyone :)

Postby 4x4lover1 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:55 pm

I fort right your not ment to opeing the rad cap at all only to top it up when cold ..... I'm getting confuse now reading all kinds of ways
Every time the fan kicks in the water would go down and your saying top it up untill that level don't drop even with fans on .... then replace the cap
4x4lover1
Fronty Engineer
Fronty Engineer

Registration Year: 1999/V
Vehicle Name: 4x4loverdiscreet
Modifications: Colour match
2.2i petrol limited edition

Return to New Members