// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Hello all

Hello all

A Place to introduce yourself and say hello! - Please do not post questions here. If you are unsure of where to post a question, please post it in the General section and one of the FOG staff will move it to the correct place

Hello all

Postby Tubthumper on Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:26 pm

Good evening all,

As my daily commute will now be done in a company vehicle 95% of the time, I can now start to think about working through the short list of cars that I've always fancied owning but could never afford to run as a daily :D

This has brought me to start looking for a good 3.2 V6 and I then stumbled across this rather useful forum which I can see will be a fantastic resource once I become a Fronty owner.
Tubthumper

Region: Southern England

Re: Hello all

Postby stretch on Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:02 pm

Hello and welcome to fog, quite a few v6 owners on here and some with lpg as well.
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped
Region: East Anglia

Postby Tubthumper on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:34 pm

Thanks Stretch.

I ran a Grand Cherokee on gas a few years ago, but even though the fuel was cheap, the running costs of the lpg system made me weep on a few occasions. Now my commute is much much lower I think I'll stick with good old petrol :D
Tubthumper

Postby vauxsqueeks on Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:01 am

Hi!
This is an excellent resource for information and if you pick one up before May, you could join the convoy to the annual meet/landing party/bbq/ camping.

Your pretty close, I work Near Gatehouse/Honda
Fronty B, 2002 3.2 V6

Now Gone
Fronty B, 2004 2.2 DTi Olympus (SD04) viewtopic.php?f=18&t=57397 -- Best DTH upgrade ever Tuning Box
Fronty B, 2001 2.2i SWB Limited (Y48 ) viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50727
Fronty B, 1999 2.2i LWB Limited (V924)
Fronty B, 1998 2.2i LWB Limited (T934) viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48369
Fronty A, 1995 2.4l LWB

"There are NO silly questions... Just expensive mistakes"
vauxsqueeks
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Region: South East

Postby jimmybhoy on Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:48 am

Hi good choice!. Im running 2 of them @ the moment. Both converted to Gas within a week of owning them. (the mpg was,for me,a bit heavy). But then i never hang about when im driving :oops:. On Gas they are brilliant. Fortunately ive not had many serious issues with them. Worst being an alarm/ immobiliser / key issue. I dont know why your jeep suffered on gas, neither of these are any different, & both running 2 x different systems.I think im around 4 -5 miles / £ spent around town, but as i said im a bit heavy with the right foot, long motorway journeys obviously much better. I think ive had my black 51 plate about 4 or 5 years, and the silver 04 for about 18 mths.
jimmybhoy
GURU
GURU

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 2004/04
Modifications: Tints, BRC LPG. Stainless Exhaust, Yoko Geolandar AT`s. Fully polybushed
Region: Scotland

Postby Tubthumper on Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:45 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys. The issues I had with the gas system on the Jeep included having to have a new vaporiser, various hoses along with having to use the worlds most expensive spark plugs :shock: It also, when running on gas and following a spirited drive, would make the exhaust downpipes glow bright red and would regularly cause the engine management light to come on. ( mind you, it was made by Jeep and they love a warning light ) :shock: :shock:
Even after this work was carried out, the system still leaked somewhere, which was pain, especially as it took so long to fill the underslung tank !
Tubthumper

Postby RatCav on Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:45 pm

Jeep Cherokees are notorious for not being able to run properly on gas. The ECU cannot handle the emissions and constantly throws up logged error codes until it runs out of memory. IT then throws a hissy fit and needs the codes clearing or runs like a bag of poo.

It also sounds like whoever installed the system is a complete cockwomble. We have 2 vehicles on gas (RR P38 4.6 V8, and a Ford Explorer 4.0 V6) and the running costs are filling it with LPG. A properly installed LPG system will run all day everyday without any of the hassles you describe. Our 120 litre tank in the RR takes about the same time to fill as the 80 fuel tank in my Trooper, and costs 45p a litre. That is about £55 for a full tank and will get me to Barnstaple Devon and part way back from Preston with "spirited" driving. With diesel costs these days my next drive will be an Isuzu Trooper/Bighorn 3.2 V6 on LPG.

The Vauxhall Frontera 3.2V6 is the Isuzu Trooper/Bighorn 3.2V6 and deemed one of the most reliable engines out there. Also works very well on LPG.
ImageImage

My members ride For Banshee the Trooper : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=34626

My members ride for Leeloo the Lotus Edition viewtopic.php?f=46&t=60154

Deceased

My members ride for Brenda the Bighorn : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=54771
RatCav
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Vehicle Name: Banshee
Modifications: Its a Frontera that is heavily disguised as a Mk.1 LWB Isuzu Bighorn 2.8TD Lotus Edition.
Hi-roof modification.
EGR valves and birds nest of vacuum pipes removed.
Front Manual Locking Hubs.
Rear Limited Slip Differential.
Yota Surf steels, with custom paintjob. (cheers Gregster)
33x12.5" R15 General Grabber AT 2's.
+2" suspension lift.
+3" body lift.
Cat 1 Thatcham approved alarm.
Irmscher wheel arch flares.
Full body restoration/respray. (cheers Gregster again!)
Region: North West

Postby Tubthumper on Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:55 pm

Thanks Ratcav, it's certainly given me food for thought regarding trying lpg again, as long as the tank was underslung. :)
Tubthumper

Postby RatCav on Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:59 am

As said my next truck will be petrol/LPG. I am in two minds about the in trunk/underslung tanks. For serious off roading I would prefer it in the boot to minimise the risk of damage (I can get a bit spirited), but then I do use the boot a lot for carrying lots of stuff so the tank being underneath would be a better advantage most of the time. Our RR P38 has its tank in the boot. The Explorer has its tank under the boot.
ImageImage

Deceased

RatCav
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Modifications: Its a Frontera that is heavily disguised as a Mk.1 LWB Isuzu Bighorn 2.8TD Lotus Edition.
Hi-roof modification.
+2" suspension lift.
+3" body lift.

Postby Tubthumper on Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:16 am

My old Jeep had the original petrol tank taken out and replaced with a 100ltr lpg one, with a small 20ltr petrol tank along side it. I must admit that when you ran out of gas you really needed to know where the next garage was :shock:
Tubthumper

Postby RatCav on Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:09 pm

The beauty of the B series Frontera is it has a side mounted petrol tank. That means that there is space to fit a donut LPG tank under the boot leaving the boot free for loadspace. That way you have happily have 90 litres of LPG and still have the 80 litres of petrol ;)
ImageImage

Deceased

RatCav
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Hi-roof modification.
+2" suspension lift.
+3" body lift.

Postby Tubthumper on Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:47 pm

Thanks again for the advice, it's much appreciated. Funnily enough I saw an interesting one on Evil bay last week, which I've also noticed belongs to a member on here and is currently in the for sale section. Some of the mods are what I would probably do to whatever one I eventually buy, so even more food for thought :)
Tubthumper

Return to New Members