// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Advice please chaps

Advice please chaps

A Place to introduce yourself and say hello! - Please do not post questions here. If you are unsure of where to post a question, please post it in the General section and one of the FOG staff will move it to the correct place

Advice please chaps

Postby yt03 on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi folks

First off I currently do not own a frontera, about 8/9 years ago I owned a lwb, jungle green, 2.8 and I think it was called a diamond (P525OAG if she's kicking around on here) anyway it got broke into and trashed and I ended up parting company with her..

I'm looking to get a frontera again and was wondering if the 2.2dti are a reliable and decent engine... I currently have a 2.6 omega cdx need something at least slightly more economical :evil:

Any advice is welcome

Great forum by the way
yt03

Region: North East

Re: Advice please chaps

Postby stretch on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:29 pm

Hello and welcome to FOG. I have a LWB DTI use it as my daily and for green laning. I also use it for towing carvan/horses and had no problems there either. The engine is more refined than the 2.8 but with it comes more electric gizmos. You have to look after the fuel pump on these as they are lubricated by the diesel and if you allow it to run dry this can kill them and your looking around £800-£1000 for replacement, they have also been known to die randomly. Other common issues are perished vac pipes which is cheap/easy fix. And also the crank sensor, egr gets gunked up and cause issues but can normally be rectified by giving a good clean same with the inlet manifold. Injector seals can go on these engines and it's a pig of a job to to (don't know what your mechanical skills are).
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped
Region: East Anglia

Postby yt03 on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:42 pm

I can do basics but I'm no mechanic.. Should I maybe look for another 2.8 diesel instead do you think?? :shock: I only got rid of my previous one as it didn't feel the same after some chav had been init and trashed it.. We had a huge trailer for banger racing, several cars onit and it pulled like a freight train.

It was immaculate, wish I had a picture!!
yt03

Postby stretch on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:56 pm

If you want something reliable and easy to work on you can't beat the 2.8 but the DTI has a higher towing weight if that matters.
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

De side stepped

Postby yt03 on Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:13 pm

I'd of prefered a later model ideally 2000 onwards... I do like a good diesel lump I must admit, they is a few I've seen advertised just need to get around to having a look :D
yt03

Postby stretch on Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:15 pm

Go and look at a couple of DTI drive them and then make your mind up.
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

De side stepped

Postby hipo1024 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:16 am

Must admit I've had both a 2.8 and a Dti and I get both of them, but for a every day car it's got to be a Dti hands down for me, far more refined and power delivery is on tap. The 2.8 is of course much more reliable but definitely has that tractor engine feel about it, which is also why I like it, it feels like a brick and more like a grunty diesel but doesn't have the drive ability of the Dti.

As stretch said, go out and test drive a few, and we mean a few because there will be some lemons out there so don't be put off if the 1st one you see is rubbish.

Keep us posted!

My 2.8 shorty - now sold, and comments here
My old dti - now sold

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW --- What a Ride!"

This vehicle runs on 100% recycled dinosaurs
hipo1024
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Vehicle Name: Justifies Every Extra Part
Modifications: Daily drive: '55 jeep grand cherokee crd
3" Suspension lift
265/70/17 GG ATs
CB radio

Previous trucks:
2.8 lwb - sold
2.5 lwb - sold
2.8 swb - killed
2.2 Dti - sold

Postby yt03 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:14 pm

My old 2.8 sounded like a right tractor but I kind of like that to be honest, surely the dti can be remapped for more torque and bhp??
yt03

Postby yt03 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:17 pm

yt03

Return to New Members