// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Lanes in our East Sussex back yard

Lanes in our East Sussex back yard

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

Lanes in our East Sussex back yard

Postby Retro Pedro on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Steve, Andy and myself had a last minute laning day (well last minute for me because I only got the green card the evening before) in East Sussex - start point about 20 miles from my back door. Didn't start to well because East Sussex County Council have slapped a few seasonal restrictions on a few of the lanes - closed from October till 1st April. Thought we had got lucky with the Wealden Way only to drive it for a short spell before we came across the replacement bridge over the river that is only wide enough for a bike or horse. Snide move by the council to stop 4x4's using the lane.
From that point we ventured a bit further south to the South Downs and done the Old Coach Road from Alfriston to Firle.
Here's a few (well alot) of pics I took on the way. Excuse the quality because the camera was hung out of the window with pot luck on what got snapped.

Then headed back nearer home (within 10 miles of the front door) and done a few lanes around the Crowborough/Rotherfield area
Then we ventured off down to a legendary local lane. Steve and Andy knew better to attempt to drive it so we walked from the bottom end up to the point, if driven, of no return.

After seeing it for myself, reckon Steve was spot on when he said driving would be an argument waiting to happen.
For protection of the lane, one them that shouldn't be driven until the grounds dried out properly and then to preserve the bottom end drainage trench reckon a waffle board should be used.
Last edited by Retro Pedro on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.
Region: South East

Re: Lanes in our East Sussex back yard

Postby gregster on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:46 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Looks good Pete...crackin pics, and great scenery! 8)
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby fudge on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:54 pm

looking good
i really need to get back out again
fudge
Thumper
Thumper

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1991/J
Vehicle Name: the duck
Modifications: full roll cage
snorkle
SOA lift
winch bullbar
winch(ramsey pro 8000)
hilift jack mount
waffle boards mounts
jerry cans mount
cb radio
front and rear recovery
darken leanses
8x spot light
rear work light
bucket seat
5 point harness

more comming soon
Region: Southern England

Postby Retro Pedro on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:55 pm

The latter wooded lanes near Crowborough and Rotherfield are not a million miles away from those World War II bunkers that we spoke about a couple of years back Greg. Then as a treat for Sal, a short drive to Poo Bridge if we want to sort a day out later in the year.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Postby gregster on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:05 pm

Deffo Pete..must be done! 8) 8) 8)
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.

Postby snapper on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:28 pm

Some cracking pics there Pete, shame about the bridge though, a sneaky move no doubt by some jobsworth with an agenda ticking two boxes... Box 1 - Save some cash. Ticked we'll put a smaller bridge in. Box 2 - Would like to restrict use of the lane to me mates on walking BBQ's and/or wearing bobble hats. Ticked we'll put a smaller bridge in....

Got to thinking on that one, considering the council (assuming it's them and not the local farmer although it really matters not as the result is the same) could they be deemed as illegally blocking a Byeway by replacing an existing bridge with one that no longer allows the full legal use of the Byeway? Questions need to be asked otherwise a precedence could be set, one that circumvents the law.
This posting may have been helpfull, on the other hand probably not... Either way, I may have had drink when posting it in which case it's probably not as helpfull as it could have been

Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered ;) )

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'O-no' the truck.

Comments on 'O-no' the truck may be left here

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'Truck'

Comments on 'Truck' the truck may be left here

Owning a 2.8 is a hobby in it's self...
snapper
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Vehicle Name: Truck and O-no
Modifications: -
2.8 TD LWB - Truck:
Side Steps Removed
EGR, Birds Nest & Both Butterfly Valves Removed
Particulate Filter removed and pipe welded in
Safari Snorkel fitted
Trooper Flywheel & Clutch fitted
Trooper LSD Rear Axle fitted
Winch Bumper & Winch fitted
3.1 Engine Fitted
2" Suspension Lift

2.8 TD LWB - O-no:
Standard, for now.

2.5 Volvo 850 Saloon:
Standard

Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (185bhp)
Standard

Postby bobbinsjob on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:35 pm

Great pics there Pete. They look some interesting lanes
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728
1996 2.8 SWB called VIPER

Members Ride section for VIPER

Comments on VIPER here

GET YOUR CARTOON CAR HERE
bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: Viper
Modifications: Deep offset Steel modular wheels with 32/11.5/15 Kuhmo KL71 mud tyres
+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Modified Navara tubular rear bumper
Mental cammo paint job

Postby Retro Pedro on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:59 pm

bobbinsjob wrote:Great pics there Pete. They look some interesting lanes

Do a youtube search on Redgate Mill Lane Ian and you're see why there's a point of no return. Once over the rock steps at the top there's no going back. It's a bit like the central cravass at the bottom of the horse-shoe on the left as you drive into the S.E. Woods. Only it's all downhill all the way :crazy:

Frank - first lane we got to had a TRO, young girl riding her horse had a wide grin and a glint in her eye - obviously had great pleasure in telling us about the TRO. :butt:
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Smith3210 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:41 pm

Was a good day out shame a lot were closed but you live and learn bring on April
Here's what I took
This can only end badly
Smith3210
Apprentice Frontera engineer
Apprentice Frontera engineer

Vehicle Name: APU
Modifications: muds
lift kit
rock/tree sliders
winch
winch bumper
Welded rear diff
Extra dents

Postby Retro Pedro on Sun May 29, 2016 11:22 pm

Had a ride out this evening doing the Rotherfield, Mark Cross lanes and found that the council have been very busy over the last few months. Three of the lanes have brand new restricting gates on them. No problem this time of year but you can bet your bottom dollar they will be closed over the winter months.
They've also been very busy on the legendary Redgate Mill, although still closed, the sign apologies for the inconveniance, but stage 1 has been completed and needs to settle before stage 2 can be completed. Once all done and settled, we'll be able to drive in again, in our Ford Focus's.
Another lane used to have a deep gulley down into a stream, which could be challenging climbing out the other side. Now completely filled with a fair amount of type one sort of stuff on top. My guess that the infill would have been the height of my truck and approximately 15-20 metres long. Hell of a lot of tonnage needed for that little lot. On the bright side, got to be grateful that they haven't been closed.
Flip side is the A267 is the main road that we have to drive along to get from the end of one lane to get to the start of another. Along this road there are some major ruts that literally pulls your wheels into them. Not very comfortable when it catches me at 50-60 mph whilst doing my daily commute to Eastbourne. Probably not the same department but my mind set says that main road needs the repair before the byway but mustn't moan.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby MG Autos (Mark) on Mon May 30, 2016 12:43 pm

You'll have to let me know next time you do East Sussex Pete and I'll make the trip accross and join you :thumbup:
MG Autos (Mark)
Member & Trader

Registration Year: 1994/M
Modifications: Largely Standard at the minute.
&
Standard 2010 Renault Megane 1.5 Turbo Deisel for the daily commute. Downside, no 4x4, up side around 700 miles to a tank of Diesel.......
&
Tuned Volvo C70 for Sunny Days and Roof Down Fun
&
Modified BMW R1200RT for Touring, commuting and general two wheeled fun.

Previous frontera's include numerous A series SWB 2.0, one A Series 2.2 LWB, one A Series 2.3 DT, one B Series 2.2 Petrol LWB, one B Series 2.2 DT LWB, loads and loads of 3.2 V6's.

Postby Retro Pedro on Mon May 30, 2016 12:52 pm

Will do Mark - the ones that I mentioned in the last post take approx. 1 1/2 hours to do. Could meet up relatively early and do them ones and then make our way over to the North Downs. A good day can be had doing the lanes on the slopes over in Kent
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby MG Autos (Mark) on Mon May 30, 2016 2:24 pm

Sounds good to me Pete.
I only have the standard set up on the 2.8 at the minute but should be OK for normal laning.
MG Autos (Mark)
Member & Trader

Registration Year: 1994/M
Modifications: Largely Standard at the minute.
&
Standard 2010 Renault Megane 1.5 Turbo Deisel for the daily commute. Downside, no 4x4, up side around 700 miles to a tank of Diesel.......
&
Tuned Volvo C70 for Sunny Days and Roof Down Fun
&
Modified BMW R1200RT for Touring, commuting and general two wheeled fun.

Previous frontera's include numerous A series SWB 2.0, one A Series 2.2 LWB, one A Series 2.3 DT, one B Series 2.2 Petrol LWB, one B Series 2.2 DT LWB, loads and loads of 3.2 V6's.

Postby Retro Pedro on Mon May 30, 2016 5:47 pm

You'll have no problems with standard tyres and set up Mark - need to get a date sorted.
I know the original thread was started a couple of years back but did you recognise the initial lane Mark? It's the Alfriston to Firle byway where going back into the real early S.E. Woods days, Gareth told the story of where the obnotious farmer and his lump head farm hand blocked him in with threatening behaviour. On calling the police in, the farmer tried to stitch Gareth up with an accusation of threatening behaviour with a baseball bat - which incidently belonged to the lump head. At that point Gareth pulled out he's secret weapon of his video cam mounted in the grill. Full true story was there to be viewed and the police asked Gareth if he wanted to press charges against the farmer and his onchoue. To his credit, Gareth didn't because he didn't to antagonise the situation with the byway because the farmer is always going to be in the area.
Getting back to laning, we could try to see what the situation around the East and West Sussex areas have got to offer this time of year. I have got the viewranger map running so could have a looksee to what's available. If nothing doing we can always fall back on the Kent plan but if there is we could do a Kent day another time before the end of September.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Return to Greenlaning Fording