// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - kent police byways patrol

kent police byways patrol

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

kent police byways patrol

Postby steve 1967 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:54 am

went off green laning last weekend, and after driving eynsford, and Wrotham lanes we set of for holly hill which are my nearest lanes / byways, now these lanes have been permit only drivable for around a year now, because there were so many idiots driving off piste and trashing private land etc, these lanes were very nearly shut down for good but good old kcc and a private trust jointly funded a project where it was all tidied up and gates were installed with combination locks fitted, in the early stages we had the problems of land owners and ramblers super gluing the locks etc but they got bored with it in the end, anyway to cut an even longer story short we eventually bumped into a kent police byways patrol in a defender, we produced on request our permits and identification etc, they carried out their checks on the vehicles insurance etc, etc, all was ok ( obviously ) and they were really friendly and had a nice long chat etc, they actually said that they were pleased to see us and how nice it was to see the byways being used, they have to forward a report to highways at kcc, bottom line is that if these lanes don't get used enough then a decision may be made to cease funding the project and the byways may become closed for good, this is exactly what surrounding land owners want but kcc etc are currently on our side and fighting our corner so to speak.

if anyone local (ish) does not have a permit can I please ask that you apply for one and help keep these byways open, you can apply online at kcc and they are free, ok these are not the most set of challenging lanes in the county but they are ok.

thanks, :thumbup: steve.
steve 1967
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2001/Y
Vehicle Name: JOSHUA
Modifications: 2.5in lift, steel modular wheels, special track tyres, under body protection, tree sliders, winch, snorkel, cb etc
Region: South East

Re: kent police byways patrol

Postby snapper on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:26 pm

Good post, I wish that council round here would do the same, but as 'our' pastime does not eat hay or wear bobble hats they arent interested, if anything it's the opposite.
This posting may have been helpfull, on the other hand probably not... Either way, I may have had drink when posting it in which case it's probably not as helpfull as it could have been

Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered ;) )

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'O-no' the truck.

Comments on 'O-no' the truck may be left here

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'Truck'

Comments on 'Truck' the truck may be left here

Owning a 2.8 is a hobby in it's self...
snapper
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Truck and O-no
Modifications: -
2.8 TD LWB - Truck:
Side Steps Removed
EGR, Birds Nest & Both Butterfly Valves Removed
Particulate Filter removed and pipe welded in
Safari Snorkel fitted
Trooper Flywheel & Clutch fitted
Trooper LSD Rear Axle fitted
Winch Bumper & Winch fitted
3.1 Engine Fitted
2" Suspension Lift

2.8 TD LWB - O-no:
Standard, for now.

2.5 Volvo 850 Saloon:
Standard

Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (185bhp)
Standard

Postby steve 1967 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:13 pm

thanks snapper, we have a good reputation with horse riders etc, always get a wave and a smile, :D , though cant say the same for our local ramblers, ( faces like thunder ) miserable lot they are for sure, they seem to think the byways and countryside is there just for them to enjoy. basically our council just gave us a second chance, as far as I know the project is on a trial basis for some 18 months, would it be worth perhaps approaching your local council and even submitting signatures in support of your interest to re-gain your local byways? all of our BOAT,S ( byway open to all traffic ) are subject to TRO,S ( traffic regulation order ) under the permit scheme, they are all subject to code of conduct etc which to most of us is just common sense, we have had a few rotton apples trying to ruin a truly awesome hobby etc, though a few of them have since been caught and had their vehicles seized under section 59, so hopefully we can all continue to enjoy these lanes and byways. :thumbup:

steve.
steve 1967
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Modifications: 2.5in lift, steel modular wheels, special track tyres, under body protection, tree sliders, winch, snorkel, cb etc

Postby Wilberforce on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:09 pm

I've still got two or three permits for my SWB for Kent lanes, dating from about 3 or 4 years ago; Greg ran a day out up there and we finished off at what is now the SE picnic site.
I think permits & gates are an excellent idea, especially if the lanes are patrolled even just a bit, and if it works to cut down on lanes being closed down and landowners getting annoyed by the odd idiot then hats off to KCC.

HCC is a pain for reclassifying BOATs (or even just a little section at one end) so they can't be driven, I might try the local rights of way officer to see if they've considered this.
Jim...

South East Picnic site information

| Jessica - 2002 Isuzu Trooper Insignia LWB | 3.1 ltr hybrid conversion |
Wilberforce
The stick insect
The stick insect

Registration Year: 2002/51
Vehicle Name: Jessica
Region: North West

Postby steve 1967 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:38 pm

agreed jim, I also think they are a very good idea, I hope more borough councils take up the same outlook and approach as kcc, I would even pay for my permit with no probs at all if they decided to no longer fund the scheme, due to costs etc and them not being used enough, im going to make good use of them over the weekend. :thumbup:

steve
steve 1967
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Postby Retro Pedro on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:13 pm

Wilberforce wrote:I've still got two or three permits for my SWB for Kent lanes, dating from about 3 or 4 years ago; Greg ran a day out up there and we finished off at what is now the SE picnic site.
I think permits & gates are an excellent idea, especially if the lanes are patrolled even just a bit, and if it works to cut down on lanes being closed down and landowners getting annoyed by the odd idiot then hats off to KCC.

HCC is a pain for reclassifying BOATs (or even just a little section at one end) so they can't be driven, I might try the local rights of way officer to see if they've considered this.

It's changed now Jim, the new permits are credit card size and cover all lanes as required, whereas when we first applied, as you say, you had to apply for an individual permit for individual lanes. The other good thing about the new permits is you have to submit your driving licence number as well as car reg. no. etc.

As regards the police officers involved, on the local forum, it appears that Les and Kim are the appointed officers. I don't know Kim, but have meet Les and joined one of his organised off roading events (blue light). Les is a real asset for off roading community. If the off roaders respect the rules and countryside and stay on the right side of current road traffic laws, then there is nothing to worry about. It's the nob heads that they are trying to catch.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Postby steve 1967 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:50 am

well said pete, and its nice for us to see that the byways are actively being patrolled too. :D
steve 1967
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Return to Greenlaning Fording