// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Sarn Helen - July 3rd - Please take note

Sarn Helen - July 3rd - Please take note

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

Sarn Helen - July 3rd - Please take note

Postby mega-fronty on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:19 pm

This is posted on another site i use but anybody is obliged to pass it on to everyone in the 4x4 community. I sure this will provoke a lot of strong feeling, i know my oppinion :

Just recieved this email,just to keep 4x4 users out of spotlight and try not to give people any
more ammuntition against us,god knows they have enough.....

JULY 3rd (Sunday)

I suggest that, on the 3rd July, all 'off-roaders' try to avoid using the Sarn Helen byway for the best part of the day.

The Neath Walking Club is having it's annual walk, (their 'environmental & countryside group'). This club supported the new, lengthier and more draconian, TRO. Much of the photographic evidence advanced to lengthen the TRO was, I believe, taken on one of their walks. They count amongst their membership David Michael who is the Head of Legal Services and the Monitoring Officer for Neath, Port-Talbot CBC.

The official report to the Environment & Highways Committee for the new TRO was by David Michael. It was David Michael who made, then signed and sealed, the temporary TRO which kept the Maesgwyn site totally closed for most of 2010, (unless you wanted to race around it and were prepared to hand over a big wedge of cash to Walterscorp!) NPT Legal Department have bent over backwards to find loopholes to permit Councillors to give Walters whatever they want.This statement is made entirely without prejudice to any party.

The 'Neath Walking Club' will be keen to detail all damage on the Sarn Helen and place that at the door of club members such as you & yours. If there are any 4wd vehicles on the road that day - they will be photographed. Even if their driving is perfect I have no doubt that there will be multiple testimonials from Neath Walking Club about how they narrowly missed death at the hands of homicidal maniac off-roaders.

So, if people could avoid using the byway that day and inform anyone they know with 4x4's / quads / scramblers, etc. who may otherwise use it on that day.

I know you're legally allowed to use it, but keeping well away just helps to take ammo away from the 'close Sarn to vehicles' brigade.

Cheers Simon
Last edited by BoxCleva on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title edited to aid searching
Buggy drivers do it with Helmets on........
mega-fronty
GURU
GURU

Registration Year: 1993/L
Vehicle Name: Barricade
Modifications: Suzuki Vitara
200TDI engine
32" Bronco Dirt Devils
Region: Midlands

Re: Borrowed off another forum

Postby BoxCleva on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:36 pm

My first reponse is that we (4x4 drivers) have just as much right to use that lane as the bobble heads do, and why the hell should someone have to reorganize their day out on the lanes because some half witted bobble hat wearing loon may take it upon himself/herself to fabricate a report of dangerous/irresponsible driving.

However, for the grief it will cause it may just be easier to use another route that day :roll:

EDIT: Thanks for the heads up Si
BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Location: North Wales, not to far from the Wayfarer- Between Wrexham and Oswestry
Vehicle Name: sack o sheet
Modifications: Beemer e46
Region: North West

Re: Sarn Helen - July 3rd - Please take note

Postby mega-fronty on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:40 pm

trouble is Si like you say the other side of the coin is their might be to much 4x4(offroad) traffic which wud hurt us even more into the total TRO for motorised traffic
Buggy drivers do it with Helmets on........
mega-fronty
GURU
GURU

Registration Year: 1993/L
Vehicle Name: Barricade
Modifications: Suzuki Vitara
200TDI engine
32" Bronco Dirt Devils
Region: Midlands

Postby BoxCleva on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:43 pm

Yup, you're dead right mate - doesn't make me like it any more though. It's just one of those things you have to get used to I guess :?
BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Location: North Wales, not to far from the Wayfarer- Between Wrexham and Oswestry

Postby Big Dav on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:54 pm

It really bugs me the bobble heads with their ideals - OK, very irritating when you get out-of-controlish scramblers battering along the routes but the BH's just amass all engine users together irrespective of the use others are putting the trails to. As has most likely been mentioned before, what mode of transport (except helicopters) would be able to access these folks when the chips are down and they need rescuing? It is in the same vein as the Go Green brigade who profess to others what they should and shouldn't do with oil burning vehicles but wait a minute, where do they shop, how do they travel?

Another aspect close to my emotions on the primary matter is that if it was not for 4X4 vehicles being able to use these routes, many disabled people would be denied access to the outdoors enjoyment of the scenery, wildlife etc.
Kodiak Transglobe 2.0 SWB

Bricks are the knowledge you are taught,
the cement is the experience you gain that holds them together.
Big Dav
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Modifications: Fitted - inclinometer, ice alert, wildlife whistle, drawbar/50mm towball;7781
Region: Scotland

Postby Drift on Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:28 am

As an ex climber and walker its double standards, Ive seen far worn footpaths caused by boots over a far larger area too :evil:

I once was walking up from the back of Llanfairfechan where my Mum lived and was heading up to Drum, this couple where ranting about the state of the path and how the farmers 4x4 had churned it up, I stated this was the work of walkers as no 4x4 could get to this point, plus its all walled off below, the farmers use quad bikes as I pointed out pointing to two quads on the moor about half a mile away and they rarely used this path, they got a right mood saying it wasnt boots, I told them it was and with the help of water it washes down to stone, they wouldnt have it, even the fact there was only one rut :oh yer:
Ste
FOG Administrator

Frontera Technical Support
Often Imitated Never Bettered

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk
Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Daddy's Car or Triggers Broom
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)

Postby drinksoptional on Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:36 am

You could all just go lie on theroute and say you were trampled on by walkers :lol:
1989 Isuzu Trooper 2.6 (3.1 conversion )
1990 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus Edition Hi roof 2.8td
1998 Vauxhall Omega Estate Elite 3.0 v6
drinksoptional
Its My Avatar Get Your Own

Postby BoxCleva on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:33 am

thats quite funny Stu :lol:
BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby drinksoptional on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:26 am

There is fight fire with fire. Take before and after pictures of the route then you can show damage by the walkers time ppl saw how much damge walkin can do
1989 Isuzu Trooper 2.6 (3.1 conversion )
1990 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus Edition Hi roof 2.8td
1998 Vauxhall Omega Estate Elite 3.0 v6
drinksoptional
Its My Avatar Get Your Own

Postby furball on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:18 pm

Head up there and photograph every boot print and piece of litter :axe:

Out of curiosity, shouldn't someone in a position of authority within the local council be neutral and unbiased? This David Michael bloke clearly isn't...
Don't grow up, just get bigger toys
My truck... http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27556
furball
frontera God
frontera God

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2003/03

Postby Big Dav on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:02 pm

So walkers are non-damaging to the terrain? Let us see how the grass lasts at Wimbledon over the next couple of weeks and also the goal areas of the football grounds come the end of season.

Driven sensibly I reckon plenty of 4x4's could drive across the grasses at Wimbledon and cause minmal damage - the chewing of the surface happens predomoninantly when wheel spin occurs. Thats why it is often best to engage 4wd so each wheel is working and not having an axle being pushed or pulled across the ground.
Kodiak Transglobe 2.0 SWB

Bricks are the knowledge you are taught,
the cement is the experience you gain that holds them together.
Big Dav
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Modifications: Fitted - inclinometer, ice alert, wildlife whistle, drawbar/50mm towball;7781

Postby snapper on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Could always get a 4x4 to drive up the route all nice, slow and safe like just to see what the whinging complaints are, with any luck they will make statements along the lines of mad driver, near knocked me over etc, pity they wouldnt known about the small hidden video cameras running in the car recording the trip...... and what happens of course.

And yes, the council fella must declare an interest and not take part in any discussions or make any council related input to the matter in hand. If he does then I believe the matter could be reported quite possibly with a view to prosecution if a monetory or similar gain has been made either by himself or a connected third party.
This posting may have been helpfull, on the other hand probably not... Either way, I may have had drink when posting it in which case it's probably not as helpfull as it could have been

Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered ;) )

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'O-no' the truck.

Comments on 'O-no' the truck may be left here

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'Truck'

Comments on 'Truck' the truck may be left here

Owning a 2.8 is a hobby in it's self...
snapper
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Truck and O-no
Modifications: -
2.8 TD LWB - Truck: