// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - making sense of memory map

making sense of memory map

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

making sense of memory map

Postby BoxCleva on Fri May 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Ok, so I eventually pulled my finger out of my backside and got MM installed.

I always understood BOATS to be green or orange ++++++++ , but I think on the image below the lane is marked with orange blobs. Can anyone confirm ?

Ta

BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Location: North Wales, not to far from the Wayfarer- Between Wrexham and Oswestry
Vehicle Name: sack o sheet
Modifications: Beemer e46
Region: North West

Re: making sense of memory map

Postby country_Est on Sat May 07, 2011 12:45 am

Not too sure on that one, can you tell me the co-ordinates for that as I cant quite make them out in the pic, or tell me where exactly it is as I dont know wales too well.
I will look on the 25k map to see what it says as well but from the pic it looks like the double dashed line is a "other road drive or track" according to the symbols. Not yet sure of what the orange blobs on ther mean.

Trev :mrgreen:

PS if you want a copy of the 25K maps for that area send me PM to discuss. :drink:
2000 Frontera 2.2 DTi Ltd
country_Est
frontera God
frontera God

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/X
Vehicle Name: panserbjørne
Modifications: 1.5" Body Lift, Trooper 3.1 Rear Coils, ES9000 Shocks+2" , 2" Torsion bar windup,
Maxxis Buckshot M/T 265/76/16, Roof Lights front & rear, Waffle Boards, Tow Bar, Snorkle and wading cutout switch, Underbody Armour, Bull Bar with spots, CB, handsfree Phone kit, fridge & PC MM Navigation.
Region: Southern England

Postby BadBoy on Sat May 07, 2011 1:38 am

In my opinion Trev (as above), SirDoris or Bobbins are the forum guru's on MM. I would wait for their answers to be definitive.
Traffic lights in London are just rough guidelines
BadBoy
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: Looks a bit like a Kia Sorento 2.5CRDi Titian remapped for 265bhp!
Region: South East

Postby jimmybhoy on Sat May 07, 2011 8:58 am

if its wales,it might be sheep :mrgreen:
jimmybhoy
GURU
GURU

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 2004/04
Modifications: Tints, BRC LPG. Stainless Exhaust, Yoko Geolandar AT`s. Fully polybushed
Region: Scotland

Postby Retro Pedro on Sat May 07, 2011 9:18 am

So what are the scaled maps required to show the lanes - 50k or 25k?
I'm still living and learning on this subject and thought that 50k scaled maps were the requirement to show the lanes in definitive detail.
Will the 25k flavour adequately do the job? Being the bigger scale, logic tells me that the 50k will be more detailed but is it overkill running 50k if 25k will do the job?
Because my eyesight needs topping up with glasses for close reading, my intention is to run memory map on a PC laptop with a USB GPS dongal plugged in. Tried linking (or daughters boyfriend who understands the cyber world better than me) the laptop with a PDA but couldn't get that to work so opted for the GPS dongal which seems to work OK.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.
Region: South East

Postby BoxCleva on Sat May 07, 2011 9:31 am

The map in my first post is 1:25k . I have no idea if that is sufficient, but it appears to be to me.

As Paul suggests, I think I'll hang around for Phil or someone else to give me a definitive on this one before I start upsetting farmers :wink:
BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Location: North Wales, not to far from the Wayfarer- Between Wrexham and Oswestry

Postby BoxCleva on Sat May 07, 2011 9:40 am

Hmmm, found this.

It would appear the orange splodges are for pushbikes. This is odd as I am sure that I have driven that lane. :?
BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby BoxCleva on Sat May 07, 2011 9:45 am

Hmm , have found what I am sure is the wayfarer and that has green splodges on it :? Still no green ++++++ 's on anything. Have I got the wrong maps ?
BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Biffo on Sat May 07, 2011 10:06 am

No, you've not got the wrong maps. the green dots basically mean "unsurfaced route" which most of the lanes fall under. The orange dotted ones are similar, but vehicles can't use them, (you'll find these in parks, canal bankings etc) There are those with the ++++++ symbol, these are as you know BOATS.
You need to check on *TRAILWISE* http://www.trailwise.org.uk find the lane on their map page, then check on it's latest standings. I find that Trailwise is usually up to date with any TRO's etc.
You will find lanes with lots of information, some with a little, and some with non at all as no-ones added anything.
If you're a member of GLASS or CRAG, then you contact the admin on Trailwise, and you'll be able to search much more information on the lanes, and can add information yourself.

regards

jim
Biffo
mud splasher
mud splasher

Postby BoxCleva on Sat May 07, 2011 10:09 am

Thanks JIm, so green splodges (dots) don't necessarily mean I can drive them. I'd assumed that a lane like the wayfarer (which i know is currently TRO'd) would have been designated as a BOAT ?
BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby mad_one on Sun May 08, 2011 10:31 am

I run memory map with gps in my car when out on the lanes. Some of the lanes are marked with them green dots but i don't rely on them and check on http://www.trailwise.org.uk or similar to make sure before i drive them. The wayfarer is one such lane thats marked with these dots :)
mad_one
4WD
4WD

Return to Greenlaning Fording