// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Volunteer Project in Llangollen Area 2nd & 3 October

Volunteer Project in Llangollen Area 2nd & 3 October

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

Volunteer Project in Llangollen Area 2nd & 3 October

Postby Drift on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:55 pm

From GRAG
You may have seen in the recent newsletter that Treadlightly & CRAG in association with GLASS & TRF have agreed to undertake a heather replanting project on Llantysilio Mountain just off the Conquering Hero Green Lane near Llangollen over the weekend of 2nd and 3rd October and we are keen to try and get as many volunteers as possible involved in the project.

We have access to free camping with basic facilities close to the local pub and volunteers will be welcome to stay over on the Friday and Saturday nights.

If you can come along even if it?s just for a few hours on either or both days then please do so. It will be helpful if you can email info@treadlightly-uk.org to confirm your attendance ? this will help us to get an idea of numbers to expect and also provide location details for the project site and also camping area.

This will be an ideal opportunity to meet other CRAG & TL Volunteers and find out more about the project and how you can get more involved in protecting greenlanes.

Please give serious consideration to helping out with this project as it will demonstrate a serious commitment from users to protecting the RoW Network.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards

Mark Margetts

Project Manager
Ste
FOG Administrator

Frontera Technical Support
Often Imitated Never Bettered

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk
Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Daddy's Car or Triggers Broom
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)
Region: North West

Re: Volunteer Project in Llangollen Area 2nd & 3 October

Postby BoxCleva on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:26 am

I'll be going. Are they OK with non Crag or TL members turning up ?

EDIT: I have emailed them.
BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Location: North Wales, not to far from the Wayfarer- Between Wrexham and Oswestry
Vehicle Name: sack o sheet
Modifications: Beemer e46

Postby Drift on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:36 pm

Yes, you dont have to be a member :D
Ste
FOG Administrator

Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)

Postby BoxCleva on Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Woaaaaaaaaahhhhh! What a day , totally and utterly knackered Image

I know it's a bit lame to do a review of a repair day, but I'm doing one anyway, LOL.

I hadn't really understood what was involved before I got there, but I went because I thought I should 'put something back', and try and appease the authorities and landowners. Basically some idiot 4x4er's and Moto X'ers have repeatedly gone 'off piste' hundreds of times and created a lane where there shouldn't be one. Not ideal when there is already a farmer who is a very anti off road vehicles anyway.

After 20 mins looking for the lane itself (well signposted my bum!) I found it and met the Series II Ambulance half way up. He'd managed to slide out of the tracks with the rear end perilously hanging over the edge of a sheer drop :shock: :shock: To make matters worse whilst the vehicle was at an angle his fuel pick up pump stopped and it cut out. So after he was towed up the hill I could pass. Some nice angles here and a sheer drop which is pretty cool. The fronty breezed it.

I was the only Fronty there, with the aforementioned Series II Ambulance /Lifted Disco/lifted Landcruiser/ heavily modded RRC/and Denbighsire councils L200 that couldn't make it up any of the lane at all and parked at the bottom :?

Please accept my appologies for the photo quality, they were from my phone :oops:

The gravel looking track you see below shouldn't be there, it should be continuous heather all the way across :?

To sort this we had to rake over the entire area and spread seed , then fertiliser and then finally unroll huge bales of heather and lay it on top :shock:

This pic shows us starting at the bottom of the very large hill , and yes we did make it to the top by the time we finished.

The lane itself (Conquering Hero) was a cool lane to navigate. There is a water section 1/2 way up it. As I understand it it's not usually an issue, but major rainfall over the last couple of days mean't a very very rapid drop down from 2nd to 1st low range and flooring it to get out . Doesn't look much in the pic, but as you go round the corner the ground under the water just drops away. Water lapping up to the windscreen with no snorkel was a bit worrying, but no harm done :lol:

As Drifty had previously warned me one of gates is a bit of a pig to get through as it almost turns back on itself. The Series II landy ambulance that was with us took a good 7 attempts to get through it and managed to pick up a couple of battle scars on the gate posts.

Pretty chuffed as the council bod said that he had never achieved so much in one day with volunteers, so that was a result.

Oh and before I forget, If I see anyone going 'off piste' on this lane I will find you and cause you to suffer :twisted:

Just some other pics on the way home :wink:

BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Location: North Wales, not to far from the Wayfarer- Between Wrexham and Oswestry

Postby andysd1 on Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:53 pm

:well done: :well done: :well done: :well done: :well done: :well done: :well done:
flying solo, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
andysd1
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: snake

Postby Drift on Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:54 pm

:4x4: :well done: well done that man 8)

Was Paul Humphreys there in the Land Cruiser ?
Ste
FOG Administrator

Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

She is nicccccceeee ;-)

Postby BoxCleva on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:03 pm

Thanks fella's. No Steve, it was a guy called Mark (not Mark Margetts) a Treadlightly bod, but as I understand it he and Paul are best buddies and go laning everywhere together. A cracking bloke to be fair, as was the guy from Denbighshire council. It was very interesting to speak to the council guy, I had no idea how hard he works to appease the farmers/land owners and how hard he works to keep these lanes open. I'm not saying all council bods are as pro 4x4 as he was , but he clearly works very hard on our behalf. He was a good contact to make.
BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby andysd1 on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:50 pm

so what have they got planed for tomorrow
flying solo, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
andysd1
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: snake

Postby BoxCleva on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:57 pm

andysd1 wrote:so what have they got planed for tomorrow

Not a lot to be honest.

A tiny bit at the top for re-seeding. But what we started (purely as a favour to the council guy) was filling in a large excavation made by an archaeological team looking for medieval stuff (I know 'stuff' aint the right word but you know what I mean).

So a few hours tomorrow AM will see the job done :D
BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Sir-Doris on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:16 am

Nice job Simon!
I also drink Port and I'm not ashamed to say it!

Me Truck

Sir-Doris
Sir Dong
Sir Dong

Model: 2.2i 5dr
Vehicle Name: The Old Girl
Modifications: Blanked EGR Valve
265/75/16 Marix Lions
Pro-Comp Steering Stabiliser
Rough Country Shocks
+ 5" Suspension Lift
UCA Ball Joint Spacers + Low Profile Bump Stops
Stainless Extended Braided Brake Lines
1.5" Body Lift
CB
Lowered Front Diff Hangers
Grooved and Dimpled Front Brake Discs
Front and Rear Recovery Loops
Petrol Cap on a String
Secondary Air
Injection System Removed
Removed Front ARB

Soon to have 5.13:1 Diff's
Got the Diff's just need to fit em
Region: Mid Wales

Postby V6POWER on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:49 pm

Only just seen this. top job fella....
V6POWER
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Vehicle Name: Fetch the tow rope AGAIN!
Modifications: Maxxis Trepador muddies on a series off-set rims.
2" suspention lift.
removed side steps.
uprated recovery points.
silly stickers and loads of other bits.

Return to Greenlaning Fording