// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - What's your County Council Like?

What's your County Council Like?

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

What's your County Council Like?

Postby headbanging on Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:34 am

I've just been trying to find out some information about BOATS in my local area, and am amazed by the total lack of information that is available. I live in Oxfordshire, but am right by the borders of Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire and Warwickshire.

For those of you that don't know Oxfordshire, to be able to travel freely without incident around the county, you need to be a tree hugging vegetarian cyclists, carrying a flask of weak lemon drink and some Tofu sandwiches. Or get a bus. The CC are so green, they look like they need to :sick:

Now the lanes I want to find out about are in Oxfordshire, so I looked on the Oxfordshire CC website.

There is No:
Listing of current TRO's
Liting of amendents to the Definitive map
Information about BOATS other than this:
Byway open to all traffic (BOAT): a public right of way for vehicles and all other kinds of user, but which because of its nature is used mainly as a footpath or bridleway. Waymarked with red arrows.

But if your a walker or a horsey type, there's loads of info for you.

They do say where you can view the definitive map, which I have tried to do in the past without success. The person at the counter in the offices looks at you weird, then when you say 'road' they spring up and say that is handled by the county council, and as such must go through their offices.

So I decided to jump over the border, and look at Warwickshire. On there I found listings for current TRO's, old ones, amendments to definitive map and info on the 'e' roads (which is good because I saw one at a popular area, and didn't know if I could drive it, but now know I can!! :D ). So much more than Oxfordshire.

I decided to post this here, to see what people think of other county councils, and how much info they provide you with. I have looked at one (Staffs I think) that had tons of info on BOATS in their area, TROs and everything else. As FOG members cover every area, we should be able to get some pretty good info on what the County Councils provide. Is anywhere worse than Oxfordshire?
For what it's worth it was worth all the while
It's something unpredictable but in the end is right
I hope you have the time of your life

Green Day - Good Riddence (Time of your life)
headbanging
GURU
GURU

Model: 2.3 TD
Registration Year: 1991/J
Modifications: extended rear shackles (3")
wound up torsion bars (2")
flipped top ball joints,
viscous fan removed, and replaced with an electric fan,(switch in cab)
roof light pod
cut down nudge bar with two long range fogs
blue-tooth CD player
she is wearing a set of sport wings and a B- series bumper
modified side repeaters
smoked tail lights
removed spare wheel holder (swing arm)
uprated turbo hoses
Region: Midlands

Re: What's your County Council Like?

Postby gregster on Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:55 am

Kent County Council are pretty good, I must admit...

They have been really helpful with loads of info so I could make sure that our picnics/weekenders in the woods are not breaking any rules and comply with all the required land use legislation, and I was surprised how positive they were about helping me (If I am honest I kinda expected that they would be so difficult such that most would give up trying before succeeding and getting the go ahead, but totally the opposite, really helpful and encouraging!!!)

They are really on the ball with the byways to...and have introduced permit systems on the lanes that have attracted trouble...Basically you arent allowed on the byway without a permit for your vehicle, which is free and easy to obtain. They then give you the combinations for the locks on barriers so you can gain access...Seems to keep most of the herberts out...and any found in there have their vehicles impounded straight away!)
KCC have also done loads of work improving some of the byways which although it makes them now very easy for 4x4's, it means that they will be open for years to come so many people including 4x4 users can enjoy them, rather than them being ill maintained and seasonally impassible as before....

Hats off to them...In my personal dealing with them they have been really really good and seem very knowledgeable... 8) 8) 8)
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.
Region: South East

Re: What's your County Council Like?

Postby James Bass on Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:52 pm

Up here in the North East, the councils are all pretty good. In County Durham, where I live now, I they are, in general, very good. Or at least I have no complaints as of yet.

Why not check them out, and rate the yourselves...

http://www.durham.gov.uk/Pages/default.aspx
Jim and Phoenix

Proud owner of an...erm...MG ZT CDTi 160
James Bass
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Vehicle Name: Phoenix
Region: North East

Return to Greenlaning Fording