// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - More midlands Greenlaning

More midlands Greenlaning

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

More midlands Greenlaning

Postby Turbochops on Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:23 am

Been exploring some more local green lanes to me, this time in the tapster valley near henley in arden.

Went down this lane called Tinkers lane, and was very intresting to say the least. Nice deep ruts going up a hill. Woundt like to try it in wet weather unless had full muddies.

Andy, if your reading this, need you as backup to try another lane i didnt attempt by myself in case of getting suck.

Im putting together a nice portfolio of lanes round here. (warwickshire). Just gotta check out a few more (hopefully with andy as backup) and could organise some sort of meet for anyone whos intrested.

TC
THE GREEN MACHINE 2.2 16V B Series RS Sport
Turbochops
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Region: International

Postby Apache-Andy on Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:19 am

Hi matey

Like a numpty I left my phone charger at work, and after sending you the text on saturday my moby went dead shortly after.

We will attack some more lanes soon - though it'll have to be in december now as I'm fully booked for the rest of november now, unless you fancy a week night?
Apache-Andy
frontera God
frontera God

Postby Turbochops on Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:13 pm

Hi andy mate!

That explains why i didnt hear anything else from you after getting that txt. There are quite a few lanes up near henley in arden. Take a look at this map

I did the lane on the left hand side of the map. Its called tinkers lane and connects straight back onto the A3400 up quite a steep slope from the road.

Andy the one in the middle looks quite muddy and is quite narrow, but it goes straight over the m40 via a bridge. So i think that would be quite surreal being on a dirt track to pop out over one of the busiest motorways in the country on your own private bridge!

There is also what looks like another green lane on the right of the map but i didnt take a look at this one. Between the lanes on the tarmac there are two fords they only flood the road after rain and on sunday there was just enough water to make it do that.

Also on the way there took a look at this lane which is just off the bottom of the above map.

Lane is in lower left, while sign on the enterance says unsuitable for motors i rekon you could get down there in a normal saloon car as long as you were carefull off the potholes. Still a nice drive on the way to the lanes mentioned above if coming from that direction. (south)

TC
Turbochops
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Postby Apache-Andy on Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:25 pm

looks good chap, well done - building up into a nice library of lanes for this area :) Will have to do a social meet up and play :D
Apache-Andy
frontera God
frontera God

Postby Turbochops on Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:42 pm

Yeah getting a nice lane collection going round here hey andy. Forgot to mention that preston fields lane/ford is also on the lower right of the bottom map. Had a look at that again as well on sunday. Well have to get together and plan then drive a route with these lanes taking in the other we found near great alne and great alne ford. As well as checking out the suitablity of local pubs for a meet. :lol:
Turbochops
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Postby Apache-Andy on Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:27 pm

mmm....off-roading plus pie and chips - spot on :D

is preston fields legal to drive? I think it's under a TRO.
Apache-Andy
frontera God
frontera God

Postby Turbochops on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:13 pm

Apache-Andy wrote:mmm....off-roading plus pie and chips - spot on :D

is preston fields legal to drive? I think it's under a TRO.

I dont think it is andy. There were certainly no notices to that effect when i was there. Take a look at

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corp ... D300497F82

There is a link off that page to all roads in warwickshire subject to TRO's and preston fields isnt on there.

Pie and chips sounds good to me!
Turbochops
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Postby Trugga on Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:38 pm

Here's a bit more information on the lanes you posted:

SP1670-8a Seams OK to drive

Nice easy route for the Freelander, we were followed through by a small Fiat so definitely suitable for all vehicles

Lovely lane with a nice bridge over the motorway. Bit scratchy in places but nothing serious. Some lovely fords at one end.

SP1570-5a Seams OK to drive

Entrance to this lane is signposted by the Warks c.c. white disc system. Hard turn of the main road and straight into a stiff climb, Known locally as "THE STEPS" due to the way the lane drops down the hill, I.e; drop, level, drop, level. Very rutted, tow bars catch out. Hedges over grown could be very hard to drive in winter due to the steepness of the climb back up the hill..

Great on a bike, but very rutted from 4x4s, fairly steep climb up from the stratford rd, then drops down the other side gradually, lapworth gun club at the other end.

Had a less than cordial exchange with the LO of the buildings at the SP 1640 7010 end who seemed to think we ought to find something better to do with our time.

SP1869-3a DO NOT DRIVE

Bartholomews 1927 map shows all this lane including current bridleway part as 'road passable for cyclists'

TRO on old canal bridge too weak for vehicles (apparently)

Dick's Lane is subject to two permanent TRO's. One covering the canal bridge section. The canal bridge is an old wooden structure and is a listed sturcture. It has a weight limit of 2 tonnes when in restored condition. The other permanent TRO covers the rest of the route. There is a DMMO in for the section of Dick's Lane that goes past Brome Hall to upgrade to BOAT I have no idea what effect this will have on the sstatus of the rest of Dick's Lane.

SP1766-1a Seams OK to drive

Easy entrance at SP177673, by some white railings. cross a small ford, then slight climb into tree line. this turns into a hedge / tree lined tunnel. mud track but firm. ends on tarmac track at SP176665, where the houses start.

If this route is not on List of Streets it almost certainly should be but Warwickshire appear to have managed to not get their publicly maintainable roads shown as ORPAs by the OS.

Will need an eye kept on the tunnel of trees to prune them back. As it's local to me I'll cover it on my month drive

The above information was taken from the GLASS version of the Wayfinder Project, but will be probably be available in the public CRAG version as well.

Lawrence
Trugga
Da Prof!
Da Prof!

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/L
Vehicle Name: Little Blue Bug
Modifications: # ARB Winch bumper
# Wireless operated Warn Winch
# Jackable rockslider sills
# Safety Devices roll cage
# Roof level tree bars
# Roof mounted waffle boards
# Underbody protection
# Smaller, higher fuel tank
# Buttock tuck with protectors
# Cobra Aqua4x4 competition seats
# 3-point harnesses
# Terratrip
# GTE digital dash
# Bonnet pins
# AVM manual front hubs
# FIA battery master switch
# Ally Chequerplate footwells
# De-Cat, straight thro' zorst
# 2" Lift, +2" Rough Country shocks
Region: Midlands

Postby Turbochops on Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:28 pm

Thanks Lawrence

Thats some good info. I can see why they call that lane 'The Steps' it is very rutted, im surprised that guy managed it in a freelander woundt of thorght it had enough ground clearence in some of those ruts.

Have you got any data on these lanes?

TC
Turbochops
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Postby Trugga on Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:31 am

Turbochops wrote:...Have you got any data on these lanes?

TC

As indicated (hinted), the above information was taken from the GLASS version of the Wayfinder Project - the CRAG public version should also hold the same information - thers's a link posted Drift somewhere in this section.

Lawrence
Trugga
Da Prof!
Da Prof!

# Roof level tree bars
# Underbody protection
# 3-point harnesses
# Terratrip
# GTE digital dash
# Bonnet pins
# AVM manual front hubs

Postby Turbochops on Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:10 pm

Lawernce

I registerd for that at the weekend and still havent recived a password. Hence the question.
Turbochops
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Postby Trugga on Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:29 pm

Aha... I thinks, following a lot of concern, the admins of that site are now vetting all applicants (which in my view, is the correct course of action).

I'll see if I can sort something for you this evening (regarding the lanes, not access to the sight)

Lawrence
Trugga
Da Prof!
Da Prof!

# Roof level tree bars
# Underbody protection
# 3-point harnesses
# Terratrip
# GTE digital dash
# Bonnet pins
# AVM manual front hubs

Postby Turbochops on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:05 pm

Ive just got an e-mail back from them this evening. Apprantly my accounts been created but AOL are blocking the automated password e-mails as the spam filters think its junk.

Ive asked them to send it to me directly. See what happens.

Anyway ive just comeback from having another reccy on the 2 lanes on my original post on this thread. Heres some pics.

Tinkers lane. Very rutted at one point, could here the fronty bottoming out. Best attempted from the A3400 side in wet/marginal weather as down hill. Can be driven the other way, but up hill.

Sorry about the pic quality on these, didnt use a long enough exposer. On the last one you can just about see the deep ruts. (Deeper than they look)

Between the two lanes there was this ford.

The lane going over the M40 is nice and smooth if a bit narrow and scrachty in places.

The most surreal bit is coming out of that lane to this bridge over the m40!

Taking a few pics of the cars on the M40 with the flash! Amazing how the entire motorway suddendly slowed down when they saw it!

Finaly went to have a look at the lane (dicks lane) that is under a TRO.
Here the enterance blocked with a bollard and a no veichles sign

And a bit further down blocked by this bolder.

Shame as once past the enterance the lane is in good condition and would make a nice drive.

So theres my little adventure.

TC
Turbochops
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Postby fuzion on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:51 pm

Nice pics there TC :D
fuzion
Mole

Postby **ROB** on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:54 pm