// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Night Laning and fording

Night Laning and fording

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

Night Laning and fording

Postby Turbochops on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:28 pm

Hi all,

Just come back from some night laning and a spot of fording. Started off by driving the lane below.

It has just been made drivable again after been under a TRO for clearing and maintenance. Between Coughton fields lane and Spernal Lane (arrow 1) the lane is in very good condition and could be driven in a normal saloon car. However between Spernal Lane and Great Alne (arrow 2) it is slightly more tricky, although i would not say difficult. It is quite narrow and has a few boggy areas, while a high clearance 4x4 is not required to drive it, I would like to have AWD. I drove both in 4H mode.

I then went to have a look at this lane.

It is part of the Mary Arden Way. The OS map suggests it is a UCR but when checking for signs to this affect on both the entrances to this lane there was just signs indicating cycle access. There are gates on both entrances to the lane, the caughton end one open while the gate on Spernal Lane was closed but not locked. The track itself was loose gravel. Can anyone shed any light on whether these are legal to drive?

After that went to Great Alne ford and went through it 4 times. It was a little over a foot. However there seems to be a drop off of around 1/2 foot towards the bank from the B4089 (great Alne) side. It was not an issue today, but could catch you out if the overall water level was marginal and put it over the bonnet.

Decided then to have a drive on the island in the middle of the ford. Can see it has been well used by 4x4's as there is a route going round the outside of the island, overall quite good fun.

Sorry there are no pics, didnt have my camera with me on this one, but prob will go back at the weekend and have a look in the day. Maybe sunday if anyone is interested. (Andy/Steve?)

TC
THE GREEN MACHINE 2.2 16V B Series RS Sport
Turbochops
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Region: International

Postby Frontera Administrator on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:34 pm

one question...." catch anything" :lol: :lol:
Frontera Administrator
frontera God
frontera God

Postby Red Oktober on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:38 pm

Frontera Administrator wrote:one question...." catch anything" :lol: :lol:

oooooh you nasty man :lol: :lol: :lol: pmsl :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Red Oktober
Retired

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Region: South West

Postby john (smifffy) on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:44 pm

nice one pete

:D :D roflmao :D :D

cheers

john (smifffy)
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.2i 5dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Modifications: 1996 2.2 16v diamond pack

2014 new astra 2.2 SRI cdti SS sports tourer
Region: East Anglia

Postby rangaKoo on Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:12 pm

If your not sure if they are open or not my suggestion would be to join GLASS and then contact your local rep who can give you all that sort of information very easily.. :D

GLASS is the Green Laning ASSociation, the link is in my signature.

Problem with driving a lane if your not sure would be that if your caught by the law the penalties can be severe..

Anywayyyyyyys.. hope you had a good day out there, it certainly sounds like it.. bit of fording and all. :)

Where abouts is that?
www.4x4search.org - your 4x4 search engine. 100% human submitted and edited!
rangaKoo
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/L
Modifications: Ahhh, now driving a 1989 Nissan Pathfinder that kicks ass!
Region: Southern England

Postby Turbochops on Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:20 pm

No i didnt but the guy who went through before me did. :lol:

Turbochops
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Postby Turbochops on Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:27 pm

rangaKoo wrote:If your not sure if they are open or not my suggestion would be to join GLASS and then contact your local rep who can give you all that sort of information very easily.. :D

GLASS is the Green Laning ASSociation, the link is in my signature.

Problem with driving a lane if your not sure would be that if your caught by the law the penalties can be severe..

Anywayyyyyyys.. hope you had a good day out there, it certainly sounds like it.. bit of fording and all. :)

Where abouts is that?

Thanks mate, i think i will join.

Its near alcester in warwickshire, not from from stratford upon avon. I didnt drive that lane in question, discretion being the better part of valour and all that.
Turbochops
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Return to Greenlaning Fording