// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Fuzions Berks Wilts Hants Oxon trip

Fuzions Berks Wilts Hants Oxon trip

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

Fuzions Berks Wilts Hants Oxon trip

Postby fuzion on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:12 pm

Well, seeing as you lot had such a great time this weekend, thought id share what i got up to today.

I was meant to be going fishing out of Poole today. I travelled up the M4 yesterday to stay at a friends, near Newbury. The fishing trip was cancelled at the last minute, so not wanting to miss an oppertunity, got the trusty OS map out and...

First headed to Headly ford

It was about 2.5 feet deep, and made a very nice bow wave :D

Next, a quick hop across the county border into Wiltshire to check out a part of the Ridgeway maked as a BOAT

It was a very well kept track with a good surface, no need for four wheel drive.

That is until we reached the Oxfordshire border :(

No vehicular access :(

Never mind, another look at the map, and a hop back into Hampshire..

To a place called Coombe Gibbet (apparently they hanged some people here) near Inkpen. Nise short BOAT running East / West. Drove the East bound part (not very long), rough surface, lots of big puddles.

Will try the West bound part next time im up there, looks interesting, and longer than the East bound bit i did today....

Anyway, on the way back to my mates house, dropped back into Headly ford. As i was indicating to turn down the lane, a Disco turned in infront of me. He got to the ford and put his reversing lights on :shock:

As he reversed back up the lane, i saw why.... a recovery truck in the ford

Turned out a Rover 25 had tryed to drive the ford and failed, BIG TIME :lol:

Anyway, dropped my mate back at his and on my way home went through Headly ford again in the dark

Not a great pic, but a great day out.

Thanks to my mate Pete for playing navigator

Mat
fuzion
Mole

Postby Red Oktober on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:19 pm

why would anyone try a 2.5ft deep ford in an ordinary car
certainly beats me

looks like you and your mate had fun tho :D :D
Red Oktober
Retired

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Region: South West

Postby fuzion on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:24 pm

We did mate, we were both really looking forward to the fishing, and when it got cancelled, my mate was gutted.

So, even with a blowing exhaust, i decided to cheer him up a bit with a run out.

A large part of the route was down to him navigating, i pointed my finger on the map to a line of red crosses, and said, get us to tat BOAT, which he did admirably, Thanks Pete.

Mat
fuzion
Mole

Postby Drift on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:29 pm

Hey nice one Mat.
Wish there where more lanes up this way, though I took a run out Saturday afternoon and think I may have stumbled accross another offroad site, near Parbold Lancashire, saw the 4x4 sign in the middle of know where, but it was late so had to head back, as I the baby with me.
Ill go and check it out this weekend, see what turns up as its only 30 minutes away.
Ste
Ste
FOG Administrator

Frontera Technical Support
Often Imitated Never Bettered

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk
Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Vehicle Name: Daddy's Car or Triggers Broom
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)
Region: North West

Postby Red Oktober on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:36 pm

fuzion137 wrote:We did mate, we were both really looking forward to the fishing, and when it got cancelled, my mate was gutted.

So, even with a blowing exhaust, i decided to cheer him up a bit with a run out.

A large part of the route was down to him navigating, i pointed my finger on the map to a line of red crosses, and said, get us to tat BOAT, which he did admirably, Thanks Pete.

Mat

what does he drive...........you could get him in here :idea:
Red Oktober
Retired

Postby fuzion on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:38 pm

Its amazing how 'bolder' you are with someone else in the car.

I usually travell alone, and on my own, would not have attempted the ford, let alone the BOATS.

But at the end of the day, these are public rights of way, and if they have legal vehecular driveability, then why not.

PS, as with the GLASS code of conduct, when there were girls on horses on the Ridgeway, i pulled over and stoped my engine. They were quite good looking...... the horses i mean :D
fuzion
Mole

Postby Red Oktober on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:40 pm

yeah right .....horses my (you know what) :lol: :lol:
Red Oktober
Retired

Postby fuzion on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:41 pm

muddycarl wrote:
fuzion137 wrote:We did mate, we were both really looking forward to the fishing, and when it got cancelled, my mate was gutted.

Mat

what does he drive...........you could get him in here :idea:

He drives a Dihatsu (spelling) Small Thing, car. (sorry Pete dont know what it is lol) It goes like SH$te off a shovel, but i dont think he would have been silly enough to put it through Headly ford.

Pete, feel free to slate me here, lol (just keep it clean)

Mat
fuzion
Mole

Postby fuzion on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:42 pm

They were a pair of very fine lookig horses lol
fuzion
Mole

Postby Red Oktober on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:46 pm

mat............... is pete a member ?????
Red Oktober
Retired

Postby fuzion on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:55 pm

No Carl, Pete is not a member.

But i hope after his experience today, he will keep an eye on the site.

He wont see this until tomorrow (Monday) at work, but i promised that i would post the pics taken today. (hey Pete, do you want me to post he 'Hanging' pic? lol)

His map reading skill, was most appreciated. Without him, i wolud have had to stop a lot more to look at the map, and therefore not got to as many places.

Thanks Pete

Mat
fuzion
Mole

Postby Red Oktober on Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:11 am

well if he's not busy ......bring him to the quarry in jan
Red Oktober
Retired

Postby fuzion on Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:20 am

Carl,

If he wants to come, fine.

It may mean a detour form the convoy as he lives between Reding and Newbury. He is a regular at a pub i used to run there a few years ago.

But if he has a tent (PETE?) its up to him. lol

Mat
fuzion
Mole

Postby Red Oktober on Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:22 am

ok detours are fine
cos i think my little brother wants to join us..........he's in MK :? :?
Red Oktober
Retired

Postby fuzion on Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:29 am

MK as in Milton Keyne?

Thats a detoure :shock:

But posssible :?:
fuzion
Mole

Postby Red Oktober on Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:35 am

yup
Milton Keynes ..............hmmm tis a little out of the way :oops:
Red Oktober
Retired

Postby Turbochops on Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:15 am

Fuzion,

Like the look of your reccy. That ford certainly looks intresting. I take your point about having someone else in the car makes you feel more confident to try new things.

I remember reading about a study done on decsion making by yourself and in groups and the outcome was that in groups people are more bolder to talking chances. I beleive its called 'collective responsiblity'.

TC
THE GREEN MACHINE 2.2 16V B Series RS Sport
Turbochops
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Region: International

Postby sollihull on Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:17 am

Turbochops wrote:Fuzion,

Like the look of your reccy. That ford certainly looks intresting. I take your point about having someone else in the car makes you feel more confident to try new things.

I remember reading about a study done on decsion making by yourself and in groups and the outcome was that in groups people are more bolder to talking chances. I beleive its called 'collective responsiblity'.

TC

Definatly would've gone through the Ford in Daylight and Full-Dark ..
I did Great Alne Ford on my own the First Time, the Mrs was too chicken to sit through it!! (How tempted was I just to drive home!!)
But Yes, when there's more than one person there you do find a Bolder Approach comes out as people don't want to be seen to "Wimp Out" in front of Mates!! Collective Insanity more than Responsibility!!!!! lol
sollihull
Retired

Postby Apache-Andy on Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:35 am

Nice going, looks like some nice fords.

I know Ridgeway very well - used to fly there when I lived just north of Devizes a few years back. Great series of ridges, brilliant lift from sunrise till sunset in a south-westerly :D
Apache-Andy
frontera God
frontera God

Return to Greenlaning Fording