// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Midlands meet - BOFA4x4 Cannock Chase

Midlands meet - BOFA4x4 Cannock Chase

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

Midlands meet - BOFA4x4 Cannock Chase

Postby alex on Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:45 pm

Hi,
Just spent a morning with Bofa on the chase off roading. Had lots of fun and watched a few nutters at play. I am a bit pushed for time but hope to get some photo's up Sunday of the boys playing.

Alex
alex
The Battering Ram

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Modifications: 3.2v6 LWB lifted on 31"at's "The Pimp mobile"

2.8 LWB
5" supension lift,
Body lift,
Manual hubs,
33" mudders,
Fixed Flywheel,
B&Q snorkle,
Flipped ball joints,
Procomp steering shocker,
Modified front bump stops,
Exhaust recirc removed,
EGR removed,
Cat removed,
Front diff lowered,
Dislocation cones,
Spring retainers,
Buckets 4 point harness,
The biggest cb twig you can get.
"The Beast"
Region: Midlands

Postby Drift on Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:11 pm

Geat stuff, look forward to the pics :D
Ste
FOG Administrator

Frontera Technical Support
Often Imitated Never Bettered

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk
Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Daddy's Car or Triggers Broom
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)
Region: North West

Postby Trugga on Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:00 pm

Alex, good to meet you and the "Pimp-mobile" :D

Nutters - yep, there were a few. I understand your group took the more "extreme" route, whilst we had a quiet amble through the woods, which I would classify as moderate (not easy).

We had Will's Range Rover (auto with electricery - a very impressive off road ride by the way), a baby Mitsi Shogun (Pinin ?), a Ford Ranger double cab pickup, a Nissan Navara pickup and a tricked up Land Rover Defender.

Each vehicle got stuck (or failed an obstacle) at least once, but all made it safely through.

For those booked to go in June, you are going to have a fantastic time and you will really find out what you and your Frontera is capable of (note - all the vehicles in our group were standard (with the exception of the Landrover) and the Mitsi and the Nissan were on road tyres).

I'm looking at the video I took at the moment - there might be something posted a little later.

Wills is a top bloke and I fully support him in his cause and the BOFA4x4/Cannock Chase/Forestry Commission adventure he is running.

A top day out it was.

Lawrence
Trugga
Da Prof!
Da Prof!

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/L
Vehicle Name: Little Blue Bug
Modifications: # ARB Winch bumper
# Wireless operated Warn Winch
# Jackable rockslider sills
# Safety Devices roll cage
# Roof level tree bars
# Roof mounted waffle boards
# Underbody protection
# Smaller, higher fuel tank
# Buttock tuck with protectors
# Cobra Aqua4x4 competition seats
# 3-point harnesses
# Terratrip
# GTE digital dash
# Bonnet pins
# AVM manual front hubs
# FIA battery master switch
# Ally Chequerplate footwells
# De-Cat, straight thro' zorst
# 2" Lift, +2" Rough Country shocks

Postby FUDDY MUCKER on Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:05 am

Greeting Alex & Lawrence.

Glad you had a super day out.

Totally BRASSED off I could'nt attend.

I presume after your write up, I've got plenty to look forward to In June, the only thing that worries me is the fact you said the moderate route was'nt EASY. IT'S MY FIRST TIME, I'M STILL A VIRGIN. :oops: :oops:

Also looking forward to meeting Bill. Just by the communication I'v had with him, he seems a top bloke. Even though I did'nt attend, I'm still going to make a donation to the good cause Bill puts so much hard work into.

Keep it it Bill. :lol:
FUDDY MUCKER
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Trugga on Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:42 am

FUDDY MUCKER wrote:...the only thing that worries me is the fact you said the moderate route was'nt EASY. IT'S MY FIRST TIME, I'M STILL A VIRGIN. :oops: :oops: ...

Don't worry:

Some of the stuff we did I would have had second thoughts about tackling if I had come across it for the first time (in trepidation perhaps), but having been a passenger and seen other standard vehicles manage without issue, I would now give it a go.

At each tricky section (for want of a better word), Bill or someone else will get out and advise you on how to tackle it - don't be worried.

My report is here accompanied with an eight minute video - hopefully they should eliminate any fears.

Lawrence
Trugga
Da Prof!
Da Prof!

# Roof level tree bars
# Underbody protection
# 3-point harnesses
# Terratrip
# GTE digital dash
# Bonnet pins
# AVM manual front hubs

Postby alex on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:21 pm

OK
here we go, as Lawrence said the start is a meet in the old colliery buildings at the cafe, theres a mix of full English and sarnies all round with plenty of coffee to get us all going.
Nose to tail we snake a mile or so to the pull in onto the Chase and about another mile or so on nice smooth Forestry roads to the sand pit. The piccies dont do the hill justice as Colin jumps in each motor and runs the drivers (if a couple of you are going to share its time to get everyone up to speed).

Having never been anywhere near an event like this I dont quiet know what I was expecting but Colin lined his troop up and started up a track so we were off and at it.

Colin's motor a 1967 Landy that strolled over everything in its path.

We spent an enormous amount of time driving, only stopping for photo ops and a a quick brief of awkward areas, in sheer value for money its great, we didnt go down any track twice theres no need. The tracks started easy and got slowly more chalenging, it became obvious that there was no actual route, Colin simply turned here and there sending us in the general heading he wanted. As such the distance any one day covers really is dependant on speed the groups average. We didnt go anywhere fast, I dont recall going higher than 2nd low range but the miles crancked up none the less.
We had Big Drew bringing up the rear with a radio so we could gauge where everyone was and as day progresed who needed more advice and those who didnt.

After about 40 minutes without stopping we hit an area that would be almost a swamp if we werent in a dry spell, there were deep ruts and stumps lurking to catch the un suspecting, after a squelch and a few slides we popped out onto the track at the drop off featured in the Bofa website.

The guy in second place in our little column had no worries thowing his 3 year old disco around, did try to plough a little here.

Drew on the other hand was an old pro at posing for the camera.

Just around the corner was a steep climb, Suzuki, named after a guy atempted a stall recovery without engaging reverse and went for the land speed record backwards. Theres a few nasty holes there and the Landy failed, tried too much welly and lost traction.

He got down and made it up second bash, Drew brought up the rear with his tail gate down after our impromptu break and spread a fair bit of his boot down the slope :lol: :lol:

We ran down the avenue and cross grained the ridges that run East West off the main spur the golf club sits on.
As I said theres no planned route and Colin was making turns here and there. At one point he says we used to use a cutting down here somewhere but I cant remember where, so we turn and bounce into the woods.

Our little train follows and as we pick our way between the trees what looked like it was a path stops and we need a recon

Maybe no path but its a nice day so we break trail and get back to the track at the bottom after a little fun

Down to the duckpond and a nasty downhill.

we need to stop and repair a rear spring that bounced out somewhere on the LWB. Fortunately the RAC beating assistance was all part of the service and we move on.

Next its Skislope, Why is it called skislope? ah its funny you ask, put a ramp at the bottom and you can do an Eddie the Eagle impression. No piccies came out but we all had a bit of fun.
Then Colin tries a hill they only ever come down but the old girl losses traction and we go up the easy way and come back at it from the top.

Again piccies somehow sanatise the slope, it was steep and lots of lumps missing. A couple of guys missed this, the rest made it look easy and yes I nearly kissed that one, but the Disco got closer with a blurred piccy.

I took 60 piccies on just the morning, as I was a last minute jump in I couldnt stop all day and I got a quick ride back to my oldgirl left at the sandpit earlier along a path best called rollercoaster. My day was great, the guys great, the course was large. I will sign up for a spot on the 30th, but a steel under tray I think is a must (my next buy) I just hope I can take the course as well as all the guys out there on that day and my girl comes back in one piece, this definately wasnt a gentle drive in the woods. But as the Course is not a set peice and the weave of tracks is that large, each day is taylored as it progresses by the leaders and I am sure they will look after all the virgins (me included)
Cheers Bill and Colin for a taste of what you do.

Alex

p.s. As I live so close to the Chase and I do believe it to be mine exclusively, others on it tolerated by limited amounts I must say that tucked up in the Forestry Events area these guys are out of the way, without harming the woods or my tracks that I walk and I do wish them well.[/img]
alex
The Battering Ram

2.8 LWB
5" supension lift,
Body lift,
Manual hubs,
33" mudders,
Fixed Flywheel,
B&Q snorkle,
Flipped ball joints,
Exhaust recirc removed,
EGR removed,
Cat removed,
Front diff lowered,
Dislocation cones,
Spring retainers,
Buckets 4 point harness,
"The Beast"

Postby Trugga on Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:30 pm

Cracking write up Alex with some good pictures (mine's in the Midlands section)

We heard at the lunch break that your group (or was it the bluebell recce team) had a run in with a local - but having explained that BOFA had hired the Events Area by paying the Forestry Commission, the situation was just about resolved.

The fact that our leaders had keys to the gates also gave some authority on the matter.

Lawrence
Trugga
Da Prof!
Da Prof!

# Roof level tree bars
# Underbody protection
# 3-point harnesses
# Terratrip
# GTE digital dash
# Bonnet pins
# AVM manual front hubs

Postby alex on Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:37 pm

Thanks Lawrence, yours was a neater write up, glad you like.

Alex
alex
The Battering Ram

2.8 LWB
5" supension lift,
Body lift,
Manual hubs,
33" mudders,
Fixed Flywheel,
B&Q snorkle,
Flipped ball joints,
Exhaust recirc removed,
EGR removed,
Cat removed,
Front diff lowered,
Dislocation cones,
Spring retainers,
Buckets 4 point harness,
"The Beast"

Postby Bill on Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:51 pm

Baith cracking write ups Alex.

Glad that ye enjoyed the day and thanx for the support of the Mac cause.
Our target this year is a cool £20k for MacMillan so maybe do a wee fund raising thingy on the 30th.

anyways, challenging?
NAHHHHHH
we tailor the routes to the cars and the drivers so what mnay seem like a 'lets turn here, or there' is actually suited to the cars and drivers behind.

Looking forward to the fronty 'BLUEBELL' run

wills
(and Colin)
Bill
Apprentice Frontera engineer
Apprentice Frontera engineer

Postby FUDDY MUCKER on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:28 pm

Nice right up you guys. Looks like you had a cracker of a day. The BOFA guys seem a great bunch.

SO BRASSED OF I COULD'NT BE THERE............ :cry: :cry: :cry:

The only positive side on saturday for me was the fact all I could do was stay at home,rest my leg, and get NISSES AS A PWET.......... :wink: :wink:
FUDDY MUCKER
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby fuzion on Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:48 pm

Excellent write up and cracking photos Alex :D

I cant wait..... bring on the blubells :lol:
fuzion
Mole

Return to Midlands events