// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Derbyshire Laning Trip Review

Derbyshire Laning Trip Review

Forum rules
Disclaimer:
Please understand that the Frontera Owners Group or any organiser of events will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, accident or injury caused by attending an event. You are responsible for your passengers and for your own safety and should carry the necessary recovery and safety equipment. You agree to follow the rules of the Highway Code, Green Lane Code and club pay and play site rules whichever applies. For greenlane events; All events should adhere to the GLASS Code of Conduct, and please note that Rights Of Way often change and if a TRO (traffic regulation order) has been put in place by the local council you should not drive the lane. If you do not agree to the above you should refrain from taking part in the event.

Derbyshire Laning Trip Review

Postby FUDDY MUCKER on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:29 pm

First of all Myself and MRS MUCKER (:grumpy:) would like to thank TRUCKOSAURS (Mart) and MANNY (Stu) for organising a fab day out.

Day unfolded by meeting at a McDonalds car park just of the cold and frosty A50 at Uttoxeter in Staffordshire. A good turnout of 9 Frontera's and 3 Landrover braved the cold morning.

A few members had quite a travel to get to the meeting place, especially Bobbinsjob (Ian) who had a 150 mile trip.

After the usual chit chat and banter, all aimed at the landrover owners :wink: it was off to Sugar Babes Quarry for a play and mess around. There was a few casualties in the STUCK department.

First one was MANNY, tried a mud run in 2wd (forgot ot engage his manual hubs.) only to find it was 3" thick with ice. :? Then to make matters worst had to be rescued by a DISCO belonging to TRUCKOSAURS :oops: :oops:

Then after hearing the commotion on the radio, we all ventured up to the top of the quarry to watch the recovery and ALEX got into a bit of bother and needed to be winched out by MANNY.

And just so I did'nt feel left out on the way up to glot and "P" take, I myself got stuck and needed to be pulled out by 4x4 BOBBY :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just to redeem ourselves, it took 3, YES 3 fronteras to pull a DISCO out of a mud run. (YES, we do have piccys 8) )

Then after a while we all headed out of the quarry and onto some VERY challenging lanes, if thats the correct word to use !!!!!

After about 1.5 hours it was off the the pre-booked pub for a nice warm and some food.

Back on the road, headed back up to Buxton via a few excellent lanes, to which I must add, were mostly covered in thick, deep, ice most off the time, and when I say thick I mean you could drive a frontera over the ice and it would'nt break. :shock:

Carried on going till the sun set, and it was decided to do one last lane. NOT the best idea. a Disco got seriously stuck and after about an hour trying to recover him with winches and man power we finally got him out. Just a damaged track rod end was all that he encountered. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was then decided to call it a day, get back to the main road, and head to the WINKING MAN pub on the top of the LEEK MOORS for a few hand shakes, a bit of banter, many thank you's from the DISCO guy to who all the frontera owners had helped in his recovery and time to say good byes.

I personally have covered over 140 miles today from when I left home to when I got back, but all I can say is.......................

IT WAS WORTH IT. :wink:

There will be quite a few pictures and videos popping up over the next few days so keep checking the tread.
Last edited by FUDDY MUCKER on Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUDDY MUCKER
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Region: Midlands

Postby Red Oktober on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:32 pm

Glad you all had a great day out 8) 8) 8)

can't wait to see the piccys :wink:
Red Oktober
Retired

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Region: South West

Postby alex on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:47 pm

Great day, great company, old friends, new faces.

Having decided to take it easy on the freshly repaired beast, I threw a little caution to the wind when folk anounced Manny was stuck.
He wasnt where the rumour was and I found myself well and truely in Indian teritory with just Bikes for company.
Luckily the tuck performed perfectly and when I got beached it was Stuart (Manny) who appeared to see what I was doing :lol:

Wont mention that Jase got stuck coming to laugh at a beached Silver beast :lol: :lol:

Then the three of us pulled a stranded Disco out ( a trend that played a bit through the day)

The lanes themselves ran well into one another, had various charcters and were made for a good day out, but the real fun started when the sun went down 8)
lanning in the dark is fun, pulling a stranded Disco up a steep rutted ice filled track was a challenge.
More than one of us ended up falling in a huge ditch :lol: (even the drivers wife who was a bit distressed :oops: till Bobby secreted her away in his jeep.)

All in all I think we all got back OK and we all had a good time.

Many thanks to the guys for sorting the route, organising it and lunch. Great day, hope to do it all again soon.
Fronty no.4, pimp mobile Treg 3.2 LWB lifted 2.5"

Fronty no.5 2.8 swb hd coils +2" 31"machos.
alex
The Battering Ram

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Modifications: 3.2v6 LWB lifted on 31"at's "The Pimp mobile"

2.8 LWB
5" supension lift,
Body lift,
Manual hubs,
33" mudders,
Fixed Flywheel,
B&Q snorkle,
Flipped ball joints,
Procomp steering shocker,
Modified front bump stops,
Exhaust recirc removed,
EGR removed,
Cat removed,
Front diff lowered,
Dislocation cones,
Spring retainers,
Buckets 4 point harness,
The biggest cb twig you can get.
"The Beast"

thank's to everybody who attended

Postby Truckosaurs on Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:14 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I cant say much more really
oh i have vidio of me in me landy pulling out Manny's fronty im not going to get board of telling him at work tomorrow :lol: :lol: :lol: loads of pic's posted soon
Cheers Mart
Truckosaurs
Apprentice Frontera engineer

Postby brachunky on Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:16 pm

As my first off road experience ,the day was brilliant :D Most of the lanes were very managable but a few got my ticker pumpin :lol: :lol:
Coming out from the pub and up the first rocky hill, I had it 4high and quickly got it into 4low after smoking the clutch as bit :wink:
As Jase said, the last lane was pretty challenging! I watched in anticipation,Mart trying(I did say trying :roll: :lol: ) to get his landy up the rutted icy hill and I thought to myself.......If he's battling, Im in deep poo!
Not to worry though, the 'ol fronty pulled itself up no problem :D

Eldene and me had a great day and it was good to meet everyone in the flesh :) Cheers again Mart & Manny :clap:
Martin
brachunky
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: 1997 Jeep Cherokee 2.5 td VM
3 inch suspension lift
31 10.5 Muds
Safari Snorkel

Postby Red Oktober on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:08 am

Glad you enjoyed yourselves :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D .......

not seeing any piccys yet tho :cry: :cry:
Red Oktober
Retired

Postby bobbinsjob on Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:44 am

A big thanks to Mart and Manny for a fantastic day out. The last time I had that much fun and excitement in a car, the windows were steamed up and 9 months later my first born arrived :lol: :lol:

It was great to put faces to names and make some great new mates.

At Sugarbabes Quarry, as we were reccying where I felt confident to go, 4x4bobby launched himself off what i can only describe as a cliff :shock:. I then took Angelina down a less suicidal rocky slope and gave her her virgin mud bath, she loved it, the little minx.

I heard that Manny, Jase and Alex were stuck and my bro-in-law suggested we drive round to where they were to watch the recovery. Pink spherical objects to that! We parked up and walked round. Thats when the Landy got well and truly stuck and as soon as I can work out how to upload the video, you can all gaze in awe at Manny's monster of a truck attempted to winch out two green ovals at once :shock: Eventually it took Manny, anchored to 2 frontys, to get the first landy free, (the one with road tyres :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: )

After that, we did some excellent lanes and up through the Chatsworth estate, where Mart almost got us a pheasant for dinner when it did an Al'quaida attack on his Landy. We stopped at the pub for some great food, then took the first really challenging lane up a steep rocky climb which left me checking my fillings were still in place.

At the top, we all parked up for a posing session infront of some of the most dramatic scenery in this fair land, then moved on to the "lane of a million gates", big thanks to Mart's dad for doing all the opening and whoever it was that was shutting them, think it was brachunky's missus.

Again, moved on to some more challenging lanes, one which was so bumpy and tight between the tree, I swear that Angelina's springs were going "Tcut, Tcut,Tcut,Tcut" :lol:

Getting on to Blackshaw Moor where it was near arctic conditions, and I'm not exaggerating, Bro took a really arty photo of the reeds which had icicles hanging horizontally from them :shock:

Darkness fell virtually instantly and we decided to do one last lane, something i was quite excited about as I've never done a lane in the dark before. OH MY GOD!!!!! Challenging was not the word! When you come down a very steep, icy, muddy slope with your front wheels in one rut and the back wheels in the other rut, (yes, that's right, sideways) your bum starts to twitch a little. then when you open the window and pick a flower from the ground without stretching cos your on your side almost, your bum starts to squeek. Then when the only way out is up one of the steepest, rockiest, iciest slopes you can imagine, that Truckosaurus took 3 or 4 attempts at, your bum gives up the ghost and Bro gives me funny looks as I put Angelina into 4L, throw her in 1st, then try to get my right foot through the floor. She made it up in one go if not in one piece. (If anyone finds about 40 pieces of belly plate please forward to Bobbinsjob, c/o FOG, St Edwards Hospital for the hard of thinking, Cheddleton.)

After getting to the top, Me and Mart decided to go back around via the roads to the beginning of the lane to bring up the rear and the cavalry arrived. (Not really, Manny's beast again came to the rescue of the Landy in the Quarry, with the help of vitrually every man and his dog pushing, pulling, jumping on and swearing at the Landy to get it back up the slope) and eventually, peace and tranquility was restored to the Peak District as we got to The Winking Man pub to say goodbyes and make our ways home, (another 150miles but worth every inch)

Angelina did me proud today, especially as she is completely standard, except for the boyracer neons which seemed to keep people amused and even better, the big uphill boneshaker sprint at the end seems to have cured the break warning light problem cos it aint come on since :lol: :lol: :lol:

Piccies and videos to follow as soon as i get them sorted.

Again, thanks lads for organising such a brilliant day out and I cant wait to do it again. It was the most exciting, adrenalin fueled, enjoyable and fun day's driving I have ever had. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728
1996 2.8 SWB called VIPER

Members Ride section for VIPER

Comments on VIPER here

GET YOUR CARTOON CAR HERE
bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: Viper
Modifications: Deep offset Steel modular wheels with 32/11.5/15 Kuhmo KL71 mud tyres
+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Modified Navara tubular rear bumper
Mental cammo paint job
Region: South East

Postby nitromotor on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:17 am

:D Sounds like a superb time, hurry up and post the photos!
http://www.crag-uk.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rsgb.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[url]pygphotography.com[/url]
nitromotor
Top Tech Bod
Top Tech Bod

Region: North Wales

Postby FUDDY MUCKER on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:50 am

Right folks. A few piccys.

I top side view of SUGARBABES Quarry.

The little blue blob to the left is ANGELINA (bobbinsjob), unfortunately see was a bit scared of highs so she decided to say down the bottom. :lol:

A couple of dodgy looking characters... :wink:

Just to give you an idea of conditions.

The Famous 3 fronty LAND ROVER Recovery. Unfortunatley it does'nt show the point where Manny is connected to the STUCK Landy with his winch, I'm connected to his tow bar via a strap and ALEX is connected to My Tow bar with another strap.

Here we have Mark putting full effort into helping recovery the Landy.

One of John M's sons enjoying the fun.

Then as Ian said, we drove through some of the most beautiful country side in our fair land. Including the Chatsworth Estate.

Then onto the pub for the statatory group shot.

Then off we went again to the most challenging part of the day.

If you look carefully in the above picture at the top left about 2" across and 1" down you can see a lane, which lead us to this :

Then it was back down the other side and onto a lane that cried "T-CUT". Believe me when I say it was about a mile long, filled with rocks the size of a small county and lined with nasty, thorney, trees and JUST wide enough to fit your wing mirrors through.

The we entered the final leg, a trip over Blackshaw moor. We arrived there at around 3.30pm and this was what the conditions were like.

Sorry about the quality of those last three, but MRS MUCKER (:grumpy:) had got her hand out of the window taking photos in sub zero tempreatures.

That's it for my photos. Thanks to MRS MUCKER (:grumpy:) for having her hand out of the window most of the day. :wink:

I few videos will be posted a bit later.
FUDDY MUCKER
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby john boy on Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:09 am

Got to say may thanks to every one fantastic day and fantastic company thanks to trucok and manny can't wait for next trip and great pics from mrs fuddy trust all got home safe :) :) :)
It might be slow but i can go anywhere!
john boy
Ned Flanders
Ned Flanders

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/M
Modifications: cb radio "no longer deaf"
12,000lb winch
khumo kl71's
waffle boards
bump stops modified
ball joints flipped
2"+ springs and weaves spacers 3"
bars adjusted to suit

Postby Red Oktober on Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:43 am

Fantastic piccys .....

though i hope you weren't all on the same lane together :roll: :roll: :roll:
Red Oktober
Retired

Postby 4wheeler on Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:45 am

A big thanks to Mart & Stu for organising a fantastic day out, as it was my first laning trip. Was great to put faces to names and with a good turnout everyone was smiling and having fun.

Thanks for not posting the fact that it took me 3 attempts to get out of the quarry but the 2.4lwb made it without aid and remained intact all day although I think I lost a few bits from underneath when the disco placed a rock the size of a beach ball in the middle of the track.

Sorry I missed the last lane sounds like you had even more fun but will be there for more soon I hope.
Dave S 2.4L LWB
4wheeler

Postby FUDDY MUCKER on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:09 pm

Red Oktober wrote:Fantastic piccys .....

No mate, as the unwritten rule goes, we went into two seperate groups with a good 10 minutes or so of gap between us. Only meeting up at certain points for group photo shots.
FUDDY MUCKER
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Red Oktober on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:39 pm

FUDDY MUCKER wrote:
Red Oktober wrote:Fantastic piccys .....

No mate, as the unwritten rule goes, we went into two seperate groups with a good 10 minutes or so of gap between us. Only meeting up at certain points for group photo shots.

well done guys :D :D :D .....
Red Oktober
Retired

Postby FUDDY MUCKER on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:02 pm

4wheeler wrote:Sorry I missed the last lane sounds like you had even more fun but will be there for more soon I hope.

FUN...... FUN...... Are you having a laugh. :wink:

We where on the highest point in Blackshaw Moor, It was -5 o C, had a wind chill of about -18 o C, virtually a 1:3 slope, very dark, very deep ditches on either side, track covered in thick ice. rutts about 2 feet deep, 1 Frontera, 1 winch, 8 blokes, and a large box of Chocolate Brownies (Cheers ALEX. :wink: ) .................... :?

Oh, and a Land Rover wedged at the bottom.

There' always a PLUS SIDE to every situation. :lol: :lol: :lol:
FUDDY MUCKER
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby bobbinsjob on Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:25 pm

coughs discreetly.....what chocolate brownies? I missed them! must have been while we were getting through the hard bit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728
1996 2.8 SWB called VIPER

Members Ride section for VIPER

Comments on VIPER here

GET YOUR CARTOON CAR HERE
bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: Viper
Modifications: Deep offset Steel modular wheels with 32/11.5/15 Kuhmo KL71 mud tyres
+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Modified Navara tubular rear bumper
Mental cammo paint job
Region: South East

Postby alex on Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:37 pm

Tip learned from Bofa, get a box of cakes/chockies out whenever someones stuck and pass them about.

Helps concentration and stops folk jumping in feet first by sidetracking with food.

plus I'd forgot we had em till then :lol:
Fronty no.4, pimp mobile Treg 3.2 LWB lifted 2.5"

Fronty no.5 2.8 swb hd coils +2" 31"machos.
alex
The Battering Ram

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Modifications: 3.2v6 LWB lifted on 31"at's "The Pimp mobile"

2.8 LWB
5" supension lift,
Body lift,
Manual hubs,
33" mudders,
Fixed Flywheel,
B&Q snorkle,
Flipped ball joints,
Procomp steering shocker,
Modified front bump stops,
Exhaust recirc removed,
EGR removed,
Cat removed,
Front diff lowered,
Dislocation cones,
Spring retainers,
Buckets 4 point harness,
The biggest cb twig you can get.
"The Beast"

Postby lotusfrontera on Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:46 pm

Glad to see you all had a great day out.
lotusfrontera
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W

Postby FUDDY MUCKER on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:41 pm

Just a few short videos as promised. Nothing to extreme.

Sorry about lack of commentry ...... :? :? :?

Due to the fact I like been an active member on this site and did'nt wish to be expelled, I found it much more appropiate than the constant swearing that was found in all the videos. :lol: :lol: :lol:

FUDDY MUCKER
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Red Oktober on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:53 pm

Fantastic camera work Mrs Mucker :D :D :D :D :D
Red Oktober
Retired

Next