// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Unable to read fault

Unable to read fault

banter general discussions etc

Unable to read fault

Postby coventry on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Within the last three weeks my 2002 2.2 dti has been put back on the road after a three year lay off, starts ok although with a new battery it runs down quickly if not used. Vehicle serviced however fault codes such as P0400 exhaust gas recirc - present flow , air bag/ belt tensioner , and P0638 throttle actuator. Before the lay off it had an alternator problem but believe this to be cured. Above faults cleared but intermittent.

After a run out about 20 miles warning lights orange EML lit up this was previously diagnosed as a P0400 fault, but on the remainder of the drive home it died, Recovery attended unable to id fault using code reader. orange light gone off, left with battery and oil warning lights. Garage mechanic used two other readers unable to communicate with ECU. I checked fuses (non mechanic) noted other member comment about pink 30 amp fuse tested seemed ok, swapped other gm 30 amp fuses still no joy. Fuel was coming through i had added further diesel to the tank but if the old diesel had been a problem i would have expected coughing and spluttering not the case. Battery recharged now awaiting third code tester.

Can any one give technical guidance on how to resolve the diagnosis issue to begin with and then any help on other issues would be helpful?

Once resolved i am in the market for a steering column top bearing and rear anti roll bar link bushes anyone suggest suppliers i am merseyside based?

coventry
coventry

Region: North West

Re: Unable to read fault

Postby stretch on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:35 pm

The best reader to use is the pc based opcom one the general obd readers are very hit and miss. Have you replaced the vac pipes yet?
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped
Region: East Anglia

Postby coventry on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:46 am

Thanks for the advice Stretch, the garage was going to look at the fuel pump but found no access panel inside the car so the plan was to have it returned to the garage Wed and possibly drop the fuel tank checking the vac pipes and pump might be preferred first.
Will let you know what happens
coventry

Postby stretch on Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:44 pm

The dti fuel pump is in the engine bay not the tank.
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

De side stepped

Postby Munfred on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:43 pm

Haven't come across a code reader that won't talk to a dti.......
Even my vag reader will still read basic codes.
However Opcom would be your best bet.
Munfred
Senior Frontera Engineer
Senior Frontera Engineer

Postby coventry on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:37 pm

Thanks for the input fuel does appear from the injector ports it will try to turn the engine over and sprayed a very small amount of easistart but it wont keep running recovery guy thought maybe even a faulty crank case sensor but how this connects to the inability to read fault codes leads us in different directions. The vac pipes appear newish but im no motor engineer. Grateful of any further input or clarification
coventry

Postby stretch on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:37 pm

What kind of pressure are you getting at the injectors is it trickling out? Visual inspection of vac pipes is no good. Best get the codes read properly rather than suspecting the pump as you won't get much change out of 1k for a new one.
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

De side stepped

Postby coventry on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:09 am

Will copy suggestions to mechanic, priority is to try and get codes read but when we cant using machines previously used that did read doesn't help solve issue. The mechanic has now received a new code reader which hopefully will id the codes to diagnose the issue which he thinks at the moment is in the circuitry relating to the fuel delivery hopefully will find out tomorrow

I tried to further research this and the issues sound like the crank case position sensor or burnout of wiring between the CPS and the ECU is a possible any views on this? Would this failure give me the issues with readings? picked this info up from 1aauto.com.

* update * fourth code reader failed to diagnose now seeking to move vehicle to a different garage who we hope has the diagnostic equipment needed.
coventry

Return to General discussion