// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Diesel Vehicles: Keep or Get Rid?

Diesel Vehicles: Keep or Get Rid?

banter general discussions etc

Diesel Vehicles: Keep or Get Rid?

Postby snapper on Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:14 pm

Looking at the current 'reduce/ban diesel car usage' type campaigns on going in the press, the forthcoming £10 'T' charge being introduced in London on the 23rd October 2017. And research revealing that the higher NOx and Particulate emissions from Diesel Vehicles is causing harm.

Is the bottom about to fall out of the value of Diesel 4x4's in general and the Frontera Diesel Models in particular?

Could we be seeing an influx of cheap 4x4 Chelsea tractors coming onto the market as people in and around London off load them for something more in vogue and possibly more politically acceptable on 'Tarqins' school run?

Discus......

Motor Vehicle Emission Controls: Fuel Types
This posting may have been helpfull, on the other hand probably not... Either way, I may have had drink when posting it in which case it's probably not as helpfull as it could have been

Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered ;) )

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'O-no' the truck.

Comments on 'O-no' the truck may be left here

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'Truck'

Comments on 'Truck' the truck may be left here

Owning a 2.8 is a hobby in it's self...
snapper
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Truck and O-no
Modifications: -
2.8 TD LWB - Truck:
Side Steps Removed
EGR, Birds Nest & Both Butterfly Valves Removed
Particulate Filter removed and pipe welded in
Safari Snorkel fitted
Trooper Flywheel & Clutch fitted
Trooper LSD Rear Axle fitted
Winch Bumper & Winch fitted
3.1 Engine Fitted
2" Suspension Lift

2.8 TD LWB - O-no:
Standard, for now.

2.5 Volvo 850 Saloon:
Standard

Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (185bhp)
Standard
Region: South East

Re: Diesel Vehicles: Keep or Get Rid?

Postby lee771 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:33 am

I work with a guy that's getting his pension very soon and is looking for a new motor. He flat out refuses to even consider a diesel as he is worried about where the one thing is going in regards to diesel emissions ect.

It wasn't that long ago the big v8s and flat 6s were 10 a penny because of the price of petrol, market seems to have gone back up though and petrol here is still £1.18 a liter so no doubt we will get some dirt cheap diesels pop up while the panic hits but I recon it will run its course and return to normal with diesels fetching a premium as most had been scrapped
lee771
Fronty Engineer
Fronty Engineer

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Modifications: +2" suspension
33 12.5 15s
-32 offset steel rims
Landrover arch extension
Region: Midlands

Postby jmc on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:55 pm

Was talking about this with a chap the other day and he reckons the motor industry will solve it somehow.
jmc
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.5 TDS 5dr
Registration Year: 1998/R
Modifications: 2.5 lwb dark green with a two inch bodylift.Steel lockers over wheel arches to store stuff in.
2.3 blue.new leaf springs.changed drop down tailgate with rear swing door to take spare wheel.now not on the road awaiting repairs.

Postby Retro Pedro on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:55 am

My fears are that the government will solve/address the situation in the only way they know how, tax the older diesels off the road - bar-stewards.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Postby vauxsqueeks on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:36 pm

Dont trucks use AD-Blue to resolve the soot problem to virtually nothing??

What's this like to retro-fit or even a possibility?

If Truck emissions are virtually nothing on this and low CO2 then surely this would be the best way to go. They are not going to stop making Diesels or the Transport industry will just disappear, trucks, trains etc..

Petrol wont do it.. and as for electric that struggles to push a Prius let alone a 44ton Arctic :lol:
Fronty B, 2002 3.2 V6

Now Gone
Fronty B, 2004 2.2 DTi Olympus (SD04) viewtopic.php?f=18&t=57397 -- Best DTH upgrade ever Tuning Box
Fronty B, 2001 2.2i SWB Limited (Y48 ) viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50727
Fronty B, 1999 2.2i LWB Limited (V924)
Fronty B, 1998 2.2i LWB Limited (T934) viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48369
Fronty A, 1995 2.4l LWB

"There are NO silly questions... Just expensive mistakes"
vauxsqueeks
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby lee771 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:49 pm

With the add blue stuff it only really works on a proper run on short runs becomes really expensive or so I'm told my kid bro works for jag and rekons that some round town cars aren't even reaching half the milage they should before they have to have an add blue top up that can only be done at the dealer ship. And should you run out your car won't start!!!

Surly the answer is stick to an old diesel as they can't change your tax of you want to go to London take the train or hire tree hugging euro box would probably work out cheaper and you don't have to worry about green peace bricking your windows while your there
lee771
Fronty Engineer
Fronty Engineer

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Modifications: +2" suspension
33 12.5 15s
-32 offset steel rims
Landrover arch extension
Region: Midlands

Postby bhcalcutta on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:12 pm

vauxsqueeks wrote:Dont trucks use AD-Blue to resolve the soot problem to virtually nothing??

What's this like to retro-fit or even a possibility?

Although technically possible on some vehicles, the cost would make it unviable for the ordinary motorist.

You'd have to modify the exhaust manifold, fit a compatible DPF, a CAT with SCR chamber, additional sensors and ADblue injection system & tank. You'd also have to reprogram the ECU to manage the ADblue system, or have a secondary ECU, plus the extra wiring, labour etc. Overall, a probable cost of several thousand on vehicles sometimes worth a lot less than half that.

There are companies that retro fit to certain HGVs & PSVs to fetch them up to Euro 5 & 6 standards, but in these cases the value & service life left in these vehicles far outweighs the cost of modification
bhcalcutta
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Vehicle Name: charlieOSCARvictor
Modifications: 31" muds on yota surf alloys with custom paint
Intek CB
Kenwood head unit
wound up torsion bars
monroe adventure front shocks
avm manual lockers