// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Frontera B Starting Isssues... Help please

Frontera B Starting Isssues... Help please

banter general discussions etc

Frontera B Starting Isssues... Help please

Postby xela on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Our Fronty B 3 Door RS Sport was running perfectly until recently when it struggled to start first thing in the morning.

It would crank & crank for ages before finally firing up with a cloud of white smoke...
It continued to start easily when the engine was warm, and ran smoothly without loss of power, no misfires, no engine management light.

It's the X22DTH diesel by the way...

Then one day, having eventually got it going in the morning, we drove a few miles, stopped the engine for a short while, then tried to start & nothing!

It cranks & cranks but won't fire up.

When you spray easy start into the air intake it does fire up, but the engine dies as soon as you stop squirting the easy start.

I replaced the fuel return pipes that go into the side of the engine next to the fuel pipes (with genuine VX pipes & T Pieces), but it still wont fire up. I opened one of the fuel pipes at the engine to check and fuel does come out when the car is cranking...

I stuck a code reader on it and it came up with no fault codes...

Any suggestions please, as we love our Fronty & want to get it going again... :( public transport is not much fun...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
xela
4WD
4WD

Model: 2.2 DTi 16v RS Sport 3dr
Region: South East

Re: Frontera B Starting Isssues... Help please

Postby stretch on Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Decayed leak off pipes could certainly cause poor/non starting, after you replaced them did you bleed the fuel system?
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped
Region: East Anglia

Postby vauxsqueeks on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:40 am

if you have not changed the diesel filter in the last 12 months start there, then re-bleed the fuel lines. (also As you removed one of the fuel lines then you will definitely have to re-prime)..

if you have not changed the glow plugs in the last 2+ years, replace them. ( would result in extended cranking when cold if failing )/check glow plug relay/fuse/wiring.

Not sure i like the white smoke part as this may signify head gasket but the DTi's don't usually fail.

check your battery output if bad, change your battery for at least a 65AH or more.

if correctly primed, cranking for 25 seconds & rest fot 10 seconds. Repeat until running. This may take 6 or 8 cycles to start as the pump must re-prime internally low/high pressure side.

**Dont crank unless you are sure fuel Lines are air free as you will kill the pump.
Fronty B, 2002 3.2 V6

Now Gone
Fronty B, 2004 2.2 DTi Olympus (SD04) viewtopic.php?f=18&t=57397 -- Best DTH upgrade ever Tuning Box
Fronty B, 2001 2.2i SWB Limited (Y48 ) viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50727
Fronty B, 1999 2.2i LWB Limited (V924)
Fronty B, 1998 2.2i LWB Limited (T934) viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48369
Fronty A, 1995 2.4l LWB

"There are NO silly questions... Just expensive mistakes"
vauxsqueeks
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby xela on Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:45 pm

Thank you Stretch & Vauxsqueeks for your replies and advice.

I have checked the glow plugs, they light up red hot when I removed them and tested them using a battery.

Next I will change the diesel fuel filter as it is about a year since it was last changed.

Forgive me, this is the first diesel vehicle I have worked on (my previous 4x4s were petrol Freelanders, but I much prefer the Frontera - Much more solid, Much better built...)

So I have no idea how to bleed the fuel lines or how to re-prime the fuel system. I have found the fuel priming port with a red plastic top on it, near the fuel return pipes. Please can you explain how to bleed/re-prime the fuel system?

I noticed 3 small black plastic containers in the engine bay just inside the nearside wing, with VAC written on them & what look like fuel lines coming in & out of them. The rubber looks as if it is starting to perish. Should I replace those pipes also? Are there any other fuel pipes that could be leaking & need replacing?

Thanks again for your help
xela
4WD
4WD

Postby stretch on Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:43 pm

the black selonoids by the wing with vac written are vacumn pipes not fuel but they can also cause various issues so worth replacing at some point. DO NOT do anymore cranking the pump is lubricated by the diesel and as it's dry you have a good chance of killing it. I will link to a howto on priming (on phone at moment).
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

De side stepped

Postby xela on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:14 am

Don't worry, won't be doing any cranking until the fuel system is bled/primed...

I changed the fuel filter yesterday, it was black, the fuel in the filter container was black also, couldn't tell if there was any water in there.

Is it normal for fuel filter to be black after 12 months use?
xela
4WD
4WD

Postby vauxsqueeks on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:33 pm

xela wrote:Is it normal for fuel filter to be black after 12 months use?

Yes, this is why it should be changed, You can leave it longer but as the filter blocks up you will get restricted fuel flow. Then its just down to how dirty the fuel is as to how long it is before you start to see problems.. can be years but no point making the pump work harder than it should for the sake of a £5 filter!

You should not get much ( any ) water in the Diesel, but you can drain this out with the bleed nipple on the bottom of the filter housing. I would assume that if you change the Diesel filter yearly then you shouln't really have any problems with water unless you are using rotten Diesel or from a station/supplier that is not clean as it should be.
Fronty B, 2002 3.2 V6

Now Gone
Fronty B, 2004 2.2 DTi Olympus (SD04) viewtopic.php?f=18&t=57397 -- Best DTH upgrade ever Tuning Box
Fronty A, 1995 2.4l LWB

vauxsqueeks
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby xela on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:02 pm

What type of code reader will pick up fault codes for the Frontera B?

The engine management light has come on.

Plugged a code reader in (made by Autolink) but did not show any stored codes or pending codes or any codes... yet the EML light is on...

Which code readers work on the Frontera B x22DTH?

Thanks
xela
4WD
4WD

Postby stretch on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:21 pm

So you said in your glowplug thread that you have done everything suggested in this one so how did you bleed the system?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46352
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=59988
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

De side stepped

Postby xela on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:01 pm

As I don't have a manual pump I rigged up an electric fuel pump, connected it to the battery, having placed one hose into a can of diesel, the other hose onto the priming port next to the engine...
xela
4WD
4WD

Postby vauxsqueeks on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:03 am

xela wrote:As I don't have a manual pump I rigged up an electric fuel pump, connected it to the battery, having placed one hose into a can of diesel, the other hose onto the priming port next to the engine...

Did you have the ignition on when priming? there is an internal fuel shut off to the pump that needs to be open..

When you are sure this is primed then crank for 20-30 seconds and rest for 10-15 to let the starter cool down. You may need to repeat this several times ( 8 or so/maybe more ) which may flatten the battery so heavy duty jump cables to another running car would be advisable.

I am a little concerned about the white smoke though.. possible head gasket.. though the DTi's are not known for headgaskets failing..
Fronty B, 2002 3.2 V6

Now Gone
Fronty A, 1995 2.4l LWB

vauxsqueeks
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Return to General discussion