// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Laptop for the bin?

Laptop for the bin?

Laptop for the bin?

Postby jimmybhoy on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:59 pm

My samsung R530 running windows 7 o/s has had a low battery issue of late. I was on it the other night emailing an estimate for work, when i pulled the power lead out. The machine shut down as if there was no power. I tried to reboot. After 2 days i can get it on, everything looks ok but with very small icons. The search bar is also black instead of white. I cannot click on anything as its unresponsive. Anyone have any suggestions, im on the wifes for the Mo, no doubt she will start the yadda yadda just shortly wanting it back. Not having my own laptoppamabob ,will cause me medical problems........ sore ears!
jimmybhoy
GURU
GURU

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 2004/04
Modifications: Tints, BRC LPG. Stainless Exhaust, Yoko Geolandar AT`s. Fully polybushed
Region: Scotland

Re: Laptop for the bin?

Postby snapper on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:11 pm

Knacked battery, it was running on the main lead only. May even be a flat cmos battery as well.
Try starting it in 'safe mode' (sounds like it may already be in that though) if you can try doing a reset with the system restore, if that fails and you have the wherwithall then take HDD out and piggy it onto another machine as a slave drive and get your data off it. Then stick it back in, put the recovery disk in and re-boot with that. It will overwrite everything but with luck sort it.
This posting may have been helpfull, on the other hand probably not... Either way, I may have had drink when posting it in which case it's probably not as helpfull as it could have been

Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered ;) )

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'O-no' the truck.

Comments on 'O-no' the truck may be left here

Work in Progress (or not as the case may be) I give you.... 'Truck'

Comments on 'Truck' the truck may be left here

Owning a 2.8 is a hobby in it's self...
snapper
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Truck and O-no
Modifications: -
2.8 TD LWB - Truck:
Side Steps Removed
EGR, Birds Nest & Both Butterfly Valves Removed
Particulate Filter removed and pipe welded in
Safari Snorkel fitted
Trooper Flywheel & Clutch fitted
Trooper LSD Rear Axle fitted
Winch Bumper & Winch fitted
3.1 Engine Fitted
2" Suspension Lift

2.8 TD LWB - O-no:
Standard, for now.

2.5 Volvo 850 Saloon:
Standard

Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (185bhp)
Standard
Region: South East

Postby AskDean on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:59 pm

press f8 on boot go into safe mode and click repair
AskDean
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 2001/51
Vehicle Name: The Big Black Beasty
Modifications: LWB Unlimited 3.2 V6, Cloth , +3 Lift spring, rough country nitro +2 shocks, cat back stainless steel exhaust, AT's, 135w led spots, twin pump fed air horns, Sony 1400w explod sub, Solar and LPG converted, fridge in the back, a leggy blonde in the passenger seat and little old me at the wheel.
Region: Midlands

Postby worldclassmusician on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:22 pm

If it's booting up and running but you have problems like it's slow, the task bar is the wrong colour, stuff like that, but it's working nonetheless then it sounds like your hardware is ok, and that it's a software problem.

I've not run a PC for a while, so have no idea about Windows 7, but if you have a boot disc/dvd, reinstall windows. It does sound like you need a new battery though. Try the reinstall before splashing out on a battery.
worldclassmusician
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1998/R
Vehicle Name: Rhino
Modifications: Re-painted with Bed Liner
New tank carrier
Mud tyres
Black steel wheels
Bucket Seats
Bull bars