// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Camera and lens

Camera and lens

Camera and lens

Postby mickh on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:38 pm

The better half is looking to buy a digi camera and a lens or two. She enjoys macro and wild life shooting mainly. Can any budding photo takers suggest a decent camera and lenses to have a look at with a budget of around £1500. I can see a lot of trawling round the shops over the next few weekends. :crazy:
mickh
frontera God
frontera God

Model: 2.2i 16v RS Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1999/V
Modifications: 2" lift.
Front winch.
CB radio.
Manually operated radiator fan.
BK Racing Alloys with 31x10.5x15 A/T.
Cross Country +2" rear shocks.
Region: East Anglia

Re: Camera and lens

Postby bobbinsjob on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:47 pm

trugga is the man to chat to about cameras
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728
1996 2.8 SWB called VIPER

Members Ride section for VIPER

Comments on VIPER here

GET YOUR CARTOON CAR HERE
bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: Viper
Modifications: Deep offset Steel modular wheels with 32/11.5/15 Kuhmo KL71 mud tyres
+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Modified Navara tubular rear bumper
Mental cammo paint job
Region: South East

Postby gregster on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:59 pm

Hippo Dan is pretty clued up too and is quite near you too mate...
Check out the index thread below where pics/reviews from all our past meets can be found!!!!
click here for the SE Events Index/links Thread...see all the reviews and whats coming up soon!

Looks like I'm in trouble with the Mrs's again...
She asked me what I'd most like to do to her body...
Apparently "Identify it" is not the correct answer!

MAKE IT or BREAK IT! TEAMXTREME4X4
gregster
Winnebago..or does it?
Winnebago..or does it?

Model: 2.4 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: FRONTY4x4SPARES
Modifications: Drive a 2.2dti olympus, 2.8 lwb and 2.0i sport.
Breaking...
2.4i and 2.3td
2.0i C20ne and x20se x 4
2.8tdi x2
2.2i A
2.2i B LWB x3
x22dth B dti lwb x3
y22dth B dti lwb x5
Call Fronty4x4spares on
01622 739908.
Same day dispatch,
next day delivery
on 95% of items.
Region: South East

Postby Trugga on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:12 pm

bobbinsjob wrote:trugga is the man to chat to about cameras

Thank you for the vote of confidence, although bear in mind I've only had this DSLR for 16 months.

£1500 is reasonable budget, although macro and wildlife lens requirements are different, requiring a couple of lenses - you'll also probably want a general "walk-around" lens as well.

Camera wise, I'm only familiar with Canon (although Nikon is comparable) mine is a Canon 550D.

Canon DSLR's come basically in 4 families, designated by either 4,3,2 or 1 digit numbers - the 4 digit ie, 1100 is concidered the entry level, the single digit ie 5D for the more proffessional and their prices reflect this. Mine is still concidered "amateur".

Buying a kit, or separates ?

There are some attractive deals to be had, but do you realy want what is on offer, for example, after 6 months I replaced my standard "kit" lens for a more expencive version - why? I wanted better quality (why put a cheap lens in front of an expencive body). I also replaced my long lens with another one after 13 months.

Lenses are not cheap (for good ones) do your research before buying.

For macro, I've little experience, although I would suggest you don't go down the cheap ebay screw on front elements - I did and it was basically a waste of money. You might also want to concider a ring flash. One of the problems with macro photography is getting close to the subject - a set of macro extention tubes will reduce the minimum focus distance of a given lens and get you closer.

For wildlife, you'll be wanting a long zoom lens. I started with a Tamron 70-300 (it also does reasonable macro), although it suffered a little at the long zoom end with image quality. I replaced that with a Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5/5.6L USM Image Stabilized a big finacial investment but the image quality is absolutely amazing (for a zoom, the primes are better).

For a regular lens (or walk around), I started with the kit lens Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-56 IS MkII Lens which I later replaced with a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC OS Lens for Canon EF-S - again for better image quality and a little more reach, but more importantly it is faster (the 2.8 aperture lets in more light than the 3.5)

You might also want to consider a tripod and/or monopod.

Have a browse at the Jessops website http://www.jessops.com/ to see what sort of kit you think you need. Then, read some reviews of your desired kit here: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/. If you decide to go the Canon route, have a look here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php - there are lots of beginner type questions with answers.

I would also suggest you buy new (with warrenty) or only second hand if you know the kits history, and stay away from ebay (I've heard good stories but heard many more bad ones).

I will have my kit with me at the FOG Annual Meet if you can wait and want to "play" and would concider selling the Canon 18-55 and Tamron 70-300 if the offer was favourable.

Does that help a little ?

Lawrence
Trugga
Da Prof!
Da Prof!

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/L
Vehicle Name: Little Blue Bug
Modifications: # ARB Winch bumper
# Wireless operated Warn Winch
# Jackable rockslider sills
# Safety Devices roll cage
# Roof level tree bars
# Roof mounted waffle boards
# Underbody protection
# Smaller, higher fuel tank
# Buttock tuck with protectors
# Cobra Aqua4x4 competition seats
# 3-point harnesses
# Terratrip
# GTE digital dash
# Bonnet pins
# AVM manual front hubs
# FIA battery master switch
# Ally Chequerplate footwells
# De-Cat, straight thro' zorst
# 2" Lift, +2" Rough Country shocks
Region: Midlands

Postby mickh on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks Trugga will let the little woman have a read through. Definitely thinking on the same lines as you put down. Want a new Canon and will be buying a body and then the specific lenses that she wants. Will probably be back to pick your brains again soon. Thanks again.
mickh
frontera God
frontera God

Model: 2.2i 16v RS Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1999/V
Modifications: 2" lift.
Front winch.
CB radio.
Manually operated radiator fan.
BK Racing Alloys with 31x10.5x15 A/T.
Cross Country +2" rear shocks.
Region: East Anglia