// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Any Sky/TV Engineers

Any Sky/TV Engineers

Any Sky/TV Engineers

Postby mickh on Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:54 pm

My lovely new telly that I bought is not giving me the lovely picture I want. I have tried several (millions) of adjustments but although I can get a reasonably good picture its not as good as the test picture. I deduce from this that the problem is not the telly but the signal. Sometimes the picture is pixelated and also I cannot get the true colours. According to the trouble shooting manual this is due to weak signal. On checking the sky box the screen states the picture quality was 60% and the strength was 90%. Could this be the problem?. Does the quality of the scart lead make any difference as I was told to buy a lead that cost about £30 to which I said fook that.Before anyone asks I cannot get the store to sort it out as the telly came from Sainsburys with the weekly shopping. Maybe not such a smart move.
mickh
frontera God
frontera God

Model: 2.2i 16v RS Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1999/V
Modifications: 2" lift.
Front winch.
CB radio.
Manually operated radiator fan.
BK Racing Alloys with 31x10.5x15 A/T.
Cross Country +2" rear shocks.
Region: East Anglia

Re: Any Sky/TV Engineers

Postby BadBoy on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:27 pm

I'm not an engineer or expert but in my experience, how's normal TV (i.e.Terrestrial digital signal)?
As far as I have seen, a 'Sky' branded box and a cheaper TV above 32" always have poor quality pictures. Sky know this and this is why they promote Sky HD so much.

A good quality scart lead will make a bit of an improvement, but as far as I'm aware it will be a combination of all 3 pieces of equipment.

If normal TV is ok then it'll be the Sky box/signal. If normal TV is also a bit pixalated then it's the quality of the TV it's self.
Traffic lights in London are just rough guidelines
BadBoy
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: Looks a bit like a Kia Sorento 2.5CRDi Titian remapped for 265bhp!
Region: South East

Postby carlisletiger on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:39 pm

I presume your not using Sky HD as you mention scart leads. Use the scart lead you are using to plug into the dvd player and see what the picture quality is like with that, if its good you know it isnt the scart lead.
Whats the picture like on digital freeview? Our TV gives a better picture on freeview than from the Sky box and as for the HD signal,well its good but not worth an extra £10 a month.
The thing to remember with TVs is the higher the scanning,the smoother the picture. they usually start at 50hz,60hz then 100hz. Sony do a 200hz and Panasonic do a 500hz (but i havent won the lottery yet).
Your Sky signal has a bloody long way to go to get to your TV set so there are a lot of variables- bad weather,snow and rain; good weather,too much UV or IR rays; solar flares and asteroid belts causing radiation and any other bull pooh the person on the other end of the 0844 number would like to fill you with. And after 30 mins on hold at 44p per minute the solution they give you is "unplug the box from the wall ,wait 30 secs then plug it back in". As you may guess Im not a big lover of Sky as they have destroyed the football league by enabling clubs to pay such stupid wages .
And if you support Ipswich you have my sympathy-Jimmy Bullard is scum and the quicker Ipswich get rid of him the better.
But anyway I hope you get your TV signal sorted :D
carlisletiger
frontera God
frontera God

Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: Tiger
Modifications: hull city furry dice , head skimmed , timing belt , EGR blanked, graphite grey Terrano alloys ,graphite grey nudge bar , 2" coil spacers , side decals removed , new rear crank seal , new clutch , new vac pipes
Region: North West

Postby roycey on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:05 pm

ditch the scart socket and use a hdmi cable that'll give you an immediate improvement even when you are not using hd.my mum had the same problem and the hdmi cable sorted it
roycey
Apprentice Frontera engineer
Apprentice Frontera engineer

Registration Year: 1999/T
Vehicle Name: mervin
Modifications: none yet but working on it

Postby AskDean on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:22 pm

part of your problem is that your tv is hd and when it gets a normal tv signal it has to make up the lines in the middle as it will try to upscale the standard image to minimize pixilation and that lined effect that you see if you swap to your txs built in free view player you see that you get a lot better picture than through a scart lead of the normal Ariel. as it has been mentioned using a hdmi cable from your sky box will improve the quality but you will still not get the best picture quality from your hdtv on normal terrestrial channels as they are broadcast at at 480i to 560i depending on the provider and your telly is designed to handle 1080p so normally your tv has to generate a whole extra picture to fill the empty space if this makes sences as the image has to cover twice he amount of rows the screen.

for other things to look at see here
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18580
AskDean
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 2001/51
Vehicle Name: The Big Black Beasty
Modifications: LWB Unlimited 3.2 V6, Cloth , +3 Lift spring, rough country nitro +2 shocks, cat back stainless steel exhaust, AT's, 135w led spots, twin pump fed air horns, Sony 1400w explod sub, Solar and LPG converted, fridge in the back, a leggy blonde in the passenger seat and little old me at the wheel.
Region: Midlands

Postby Bigga on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:19 pm

poor signal will cause it to do that,and stop the picture at times etc......if you only got 60 % quality then it needs adjusting,another 40 should make the difference in getting it pixelated....

mines cable,long story short i had same thing happening because of poor and weak signal
Bigga
my other cars a frontera
my other cars a frontera

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2000/X
Region: South East

Postby Drift on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:26 pm

Same here, we had sky a while ago and it was forever pix-elating and freezing, a bit like buffering, so binned it for cable with the HD 40" TV and no lag great picture and HD, occasionally though there is a blip in the transmission usually about once a week around six in the evening strangely enough where for a minute or two it freaks but 99.9% of the time is fine so a small price to pay, oh and HDMI cables are the waty to go :wink:
Sky had too many variables affecting the signal and quality.
Ste
FOG Administrator

Frontera Technical Support
Often Imitated Never Bettered

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk
Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Daddy's Car or Triggers Broom
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)

Postby Big Dav on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:54 pm

I use an HD tv with standard Sky box and picture quality is excellent.......but, some Sky b'cast channels seem weaker than others and frequently pixelate. Switching the Sky box off for a few moments usually does the trick.
The 0844.. helpline gives advice like removing the subscriber card and inserting it upsidedown into the Skybox for a few minutes then returning it to normal - hmmmm (was that on 1st April???)

You could try cleaning the plugs on the satellite cable despite you having really good quality and signal strength values.
Kodiak Transglobe 2.0 SWB

Bricks are the knowledge you are taught,
the cement is the experience you gain that holds them together.
Big Dav
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Modifications: Fitted - inclinometer, ice alert, wildlife whistle, drawbar/50mm towball;7781
Region: Scotland

Postby Big Dav on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:59 pm

Have a look at:

dishpointer.com

enter in your post code and the map will should your street and the direction line across the map of the direxction your dish should be pointing at.
Make sure you select the relevant batch of Astra satellites - should be the 28 odd degree East set.

Big Dav
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: Fitted - inclinometer, ice alert, wildlife whistle, drawbar/50mm towball;7781

Postby mickh on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:02 pm

Thanks for the replies, I will try another lead and see if that helps and also unplug the box for a while. What sort of strengths do other people get on your sky boxes as Dave thinks mine are good.
mickh
frontera God
frontera God

Registration Year: 1999/V
Modifications: 2" lift.
Front winch.
CB radio.
Manually operated radiator fan.
BK Racing Alloys with 31x10.5x15 A/T.
Cross Country +2" rear shocks.
Region: East Anglia

Postby Big Dav on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:08 pm

My readings are about 60% and 50% - which I understand are as best as can be expected for the northern latitude I live in.

Big Dav
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby philipp on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:17 pm

loads of problems with sky.......ditch it and buy a satelite kit from B&Q .....connect to your sky dish and setup.....picture is better and the best thing is its free...and i believe they do a HD free sat kit as well .....i originally bought for the caravan,,,but was so bleep off with sky used it at home instead
philipp
mud splasher
mud splasher

Model: 2.2i 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Modifications: none

Postby Kevin1964 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:55 am

Keep getting signal freeze and mega pixelation on a standard sky setup..Thinking its the reciever causing that as signal is showing the reciever to be recieving 70 percent & 70 percent which is more than enough..Reciever is a standard sky box and is now 6yrs old so guess its getting on a bit now. Glad someone mentiones a retailer name for satalite systems..Didn't expect B&Q to crop up though. I know where i'm off to this week now. You guessed it B&Q
Kevin1964
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Region: Southern England

Postby AskDean on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:15 am

if your with ksy then just ring them tell them your thinking of leaving then for a cable and they will give you a 250gb or 500gb hd box for free and then you get the bbc and itv sh4 and 5 free in hd and the rest plus the new ksy plus boxes you can record lol

i got the hd channels for a year for 2.50 a month when i commented on the poor service and was tempted buy the offers on the tv
AskDean
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 3.2 V6 5dr
Registration Year: 2001/51
Vehicle Name: The Big Black Beasty
Modifications: LWB Unlimited 3.2 V6, Cloth , +3 Lift spring, rough country nitro +2 shocks, cat back stainless steel exhaust, AT's, 135w led spots, twin pump fed air horns, Sony 1400w explod sub, Solar and LPG converted, fridge in the back, a leggy blonde in the passenger seat and little old me at the wheel.

Return to PC & Technology discussion