// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - OS maps for Windows Phone

OS maps for Windows Phone

OS maps for Windows Phone

Postby bobbinsjob on Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:06 pm

Hi folks not sure if it has been covered yet but OS have now launched an app for windows phone. It costs 99p and is fully loaded with all the mainland OS 1:50000 maps. It locks to GPS but unfortunately doesnt have a plotting facility but it is coming soon so they say.

Just go to Marketplace and search OS. I just put it on my phone and it works fine.

Not as good as MM (yet) but MM have no plans as yet to migrate to WP so this will have to do for now
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728
1996 2.8 SWB called VIPER

Members Ride section for VIPER

Comments on VIPER here

GET YOUR CARTOON CAR HERE
bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: Viper
Modifications: Deep offset Steel modular wheels with 32/11.5/15 Kuhmo KL71 mud tyres
+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Modified Navara tubular rear bumper
Mental cammo paint job
Region: South East

Re: OS maps for Windows Phone

Postby Retro Pedro on Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Ian - does this mean that the new ViewPads/iPads are going to be a real option now. My IT knowledge is very much a learning curve, hence me needing to ask. I appreciate iPad is apple based and I'm told a Windows based platform is what will be required. I've seen Fudge's set up, and although Matt did explain, it was very much a nod from me, not a full understanding. So my on-going question is, will these Window based platforms work on the newer 10" and 7" Pads, resulting in the bulky laptops being made redundant for green laning map following, plotting and tracking?
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Postby wideformat on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:10 pm

I believe quite a few pads (mine included) run the android operating system so I don't think windows based software will work, but don't quote me on that
Last edited by Rich on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote
I would prefer a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.
Seek not excess, God hates he who roams !
wideformat
GURU
GURU

Model: 2.2i 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/P
Vehicle Name: More Trouble
Modifications: 2" lift with Disco springs and Rough Country shocks
16" wheels with Maletester Sahara tyres
CB Radio.
Life hammer, compressor, new head gasket
Region: Southern England

Postby bobbinsjob on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:19 pm

to be honest Pete, you're probably more clued up than me mate. I can just about send texts :lol:
SIZE DOES MATTER!!
MEMBER 1728
1996 2.8 SWB called VIPER

Members Ride section for VIPER

Comments on VIPER here

GET YOUR CARTOON CAR HERE
bobbinsjob
Rev Limit Finder
Rev Limit Finder

Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: Viper
Modifications: Deep offset Steel modular wheels with 32/11.5/15 Kuhmo KL71 mud tyres
+2" Plasma body lift
Flipped ball-joints
+2" spring spacers
Custom built roof rack
Light bar
Modified Navara tubular rear bumper
Mental cammo paint job

Postby Retro Pedro on Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:01 pm

wideformat wrote:I believe quite a few pads (mine included) run the android operating system so I don't think windows based software will work, but don't quote me on that

IT Help please :? showing me underbelly or learning curve request - so when we hear 'andriod' it is a completely differant operating system than 'windows'.
My only knowledge is asking the IT geek at work, and he reckons that I should be looking towards 'windows' based stuff if ever I wanted to go down the road with pads.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Postby Drift on Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:54 pm

Android is a very different operating system than windows so apps are not compatible and need to be written for specific operating systems.
That said there is an app out there that runs the old MM maps and performs in a very similar way to MM and plots and traces routes for Android its called MM Tracker. :wink:
Ste
FOG Administrator

Frontera Technical Support
Often Imitated Never Bettered

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk
Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Vehicle Name: Daddy's Car or Triggers Broom
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)
Region: North West

Postby Wilberforce on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Correct Pete.

Windows is part of Microsoft's line of operating systems that power the bulk of the world's PCs. Also found on pads/tablets, and some mobile phones. I believe there are Windows tablets from Viewsonic, Acer, Asus and upcoming from Samsung and Lenovo, so it's certainly a possibility for in car use, and you'd have a familiar OS to what you have at home.
Android is an unrelated OS, originating from Google's labs. It's not a desktop oriented thing, but is found on mobiles as well as tablets. There's a whole heap of devices running it, including the majority of tablets on sale at the moment,
Apple iPhones/iPads run on iOS, which is another different OS written specifically for these devices and not found anywhere else.

Specifically concerning MemoryMap, the Windows version of the software should run on Windows powered tablets. MemoryMap currently have iOS specific apps for the iPhone/iPad, the paid version of which also allows you to use maps you may already have loaded on your Windows PC. They currently have an Android version in beta testing which should offer much the same functionality and the ability to use maps you already have.
Jim...

South East Picnic site information

| Jessica - 2002 Isuzu Trooper Insignia LWB | 3.1 ltr hybrid conversion |
Wilberforce
The stick insect
The stick insect

Registration Year: 2002/51
Vehicle Name: Jessica
Region: North West

Return to PC & Technology discussion