// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - SD card with vids on needed to be retrieved

SD card with vids on needed to be retrieved

SD card with vids on needed to be retrieved

Postby Retro Pedro on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:18 pm

Bit of a long shot here, but hoping for a favour from any members with IT know how that could possibly have a go at retrieving data from my SD cards?
Got a few vids on them of picnic days down the S.E. woods which I'm hoping can be retrieved then uploaded to my youtube account.

I would post the cards to peeps so that they can have a go on their own computers.

Cheers
Pete
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.8 TDI Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Grandads Tractor
Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.
Region: South East

Re: SD card with vids on needed to be retrieved

Postby BadBoy on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:49 pm

Pete,
Is the data possibly corrupted which is why you can't retrieve it yourself? If so it may take someone with above average pc knowledge.
Traffic lights in London are just rough guidelines
BadBoy
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: Looks a bit like a Kia Sorento 2.5CRDi Titian remapped for 265bhp!

Postby drinksoptional on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:50 pm

there is a slot on most laptops for sd cards or connect a usb lead from the device to laptop/pc
1989 Isuzu Trooper 2.6 (3.1 conversion )
1990 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus Edition Hi roof 2.8td
1998 Vauxhall Omega Estate Elite 3.0 v6
drinksoptional
Its My Avatar Get Your Own

Region: Scotland

Postby Retro Pedro on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Cheers for replys guys
Drinks - it's got an adaptor case that in turn fits into a USB slot on the computer.
What's happening is that I can see the SD card in the 'h' drive USB slot on the computer. Can list all the files - it's got alot of senseless listings (looks like Japenses writing) but I can also see the vids I took on Saturday - SUN000 through to SUN0006. Via my youtube account, tried to transfer the files into youtube - says it's uploading them OK but then gets stuck on the final message where it allocates the youtube file references. Then a message further down says it's failed to load correctly. It does not produce the small thumbnail images. On the one vid (23mg) that did go across OK, youtube reference number comes up and the thumbnails are there.
I have tried to delete all the rubbish listings but a message says it can't access the files and won't let me.
The SD cards are 32GB that originated from Hong Kong - so probably not the best in the world for quality.
When I shot the vids on Sat, I had no error messages so had no reason to think that I would have issues when uploading them. The initial messages was that the camera was 'Reading Card' then it went to the ready to record menu. When I've had issues with another card the video recorder couldn't read the card so I knew about it prior to trying to record.

Paul - I did think about trying to contact Gareth but he's not been on since December 2010 so might be a problem contacting him.
Going to have a go at copying the files to my computer and then see if I can upload from the copied files. Not got alot of hope with that because if it can't read the files direct from the SD card, what would improve to allow the copied files (subject to a success in copying) to be accessed.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: A few suspension modifications to assist with ground clearance and fitting of bigger tyres.

Postby BadBoy on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:45 pm

My first thought is, as you say, copy the files to your hard drive.
Once you've done that, watch them all from start to finish. Every second.
If they play ok on your pc from the hard drive then I see no reason for them to not upload to youtube.
Give that a go tonight and let us know how you get on.

Oh one other think. Make sure the SD card is not write protected.

Shouldn't make any difference but you never know :wink:
Traffic lights in London are just rough guidelines
BadBoy
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: Looks a bit like a Kia Sorento 2.5CRDi Titian remapped for 265bhp!

Postby Retro Pedro on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:54 am

A shade of success - I've got one of our Mac operators to have a go and he as succeeded in getting 2 more of the vids off my disc. He done it on a Apple Mac programme equivalent to AVI (whatever that is). This programme asked if he wanted to do a repair as he was retrieving the files.
So my next question is does anybody know of a PC programme that I can downloaded (freebie version) that might allow me to have a go at repairing the outstanding vids.
I will do a google search on AVI to try and see what that is all about but if anybody knows of any other programmes that might help me the info would be much appreciated.
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Retro Pedro on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:18 pm

Cheers Rob
I'll have a go at down loading the app first - but I don't succeed, I'd very much like to take up on the offer for you to have a go at them.
Pete
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Krusher on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:43 pm

When you going to post the vids you have got then Pete?? :D :D :wink:
Ramsgate, Kent
Never Imitated Often Battered
Krusher
I used to have a little pinky

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: STRIDENT
Modifications: +2" suspension lift and torsion bar wind up
Maletester Kaimen MT's
CB, LED daytime runners
FOG chrome bullbar
stainless mangled side steps
Air box with room for a goldfish

Postby Retro Pedro on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:46 pm

Kel - please tell me your not taking the p1ss. :(
I'm sitting on here trying to upload the 2 further vids onto youtube and the bloody thing is asking me if I want to format the disc before it does anything - the disc being the memory stick that the fella from work copied on to. Thinking I've got to say 'no' because it's his memory stick that he copies his photos onto. I would be popular if I wiped off any pics he's got on there.
Also wondering if it's asking to format because it was copied across on a mac and I'm trying to further retrieve onto a PC.
I hate technology - it either works or it don't, and if it don't your up against a brick wall. :evil:
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Krusher on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:24 pm

AHHH Pete, I just remembered something. He used a mac to retrieve your stuff, so there for will not work when plugged into a pc.
Sorry mate but you are no further ahead than you were before.... :?
Ramsgate, Kent
Never Imitated Often Battered
Krusher

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1996/N
Vehicle Name: STRIDENT
Modifications: +2" suspension lift and torsion bar wind up
Maletester Kaimen MT's
CB, LED daytime runners
FOG chrome bullbar
stainless mangled side steps
Air box with room for a goldfish

Postby Retro Pedro on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:29 pm

Cheers Rob for the macdrive link
Done the trick, I was able to access the Mac formatted stick. Copied the files over to my hard drive picture storage area and now sitting here watching it upload onto youtube.
Seems to be pulling the data over but not completed yet
Message reads - 'Your file has been uploaded. We are now processing the video'
I've blocked all the vids and copying as a block - I'm not hopefull because the only one that as completed successfully is the one I did yesterday.
Think I try again with the 2 vides that my mate repaired on the mac.
All the youtube stuff is going on with the desktop and I'm responding here on the laptop and to top all that the old ladies wingeing at me to turn the light off :roll:
Retro Pedro
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Return to PC & Technology discussion