// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - tv's. lcd,led,plasma??

tv's. lcd,led,plasma??

Re: tv's. lcd,led,plasma??

Postby fred on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:11 pm

been lookin at all advise and info on net, most of the dvds/films i watch are quite dark (like pitch black,riddick,sutter island etc) so would the samsung one with a higher resolution be better for showing dark stuff?
cheers guys.
fred
Apprentice Frontera engineer

Model: 2.0i Sport 3dr
Registration Year: 1994/M
Modifications: swb...
16" pajero alloys with insa turbo special tracks on.
rear window tints.
suspension & 3" body lift.
snorkel.
bullbar extended.
petrol tank lifted higher.
30mm wheel spacers.
3 point harnesses
Region: North East

Postby quintenve27 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:52 pm

fred wrote:been lookin at all advise and info on net, most of the dvds/films i watch are quite dark (like pitch black,riddick,sutter island etc) so would the samsung one with a higher resolution be better for showing dark stuff?
cheers guys.

Fred here's your answer bud,

LED tv's are the latest technology being led's you will find higher quality in pictures and better colours and brightness, personally i'm looking for one myself however price wise they are extortionate at the minute

LCD tv's us the liquid cristal display and are capable of fantastic quality but the thing to look for is the contrast ratio's and the hd quality, ie 1080p/h/i (all of which means it can fit more info onto the screen and shows a bigger picture really)

plasma's are slowly going out of date and can and invariably do go bust i tend to steer clear of plasma's completely but there are definitely some fantastic screens out there and generally you will find plasma's to be the larger of the screens at the better price however more and more lcd's and led tv's are getting bigger and better for better prices so again i'd go for the lcd/led option

right to explain contrast ratio's quickly here's a excerpt from wikipedia

The contrast ratio is a property of a display system, defined as the ratio of the luminance of the brightest color (white) to that of the darkest color (black) that the system is capable of producing. A high contrast ratio is a desired aspect of any display

now between your two screens that you've selected your right the samsung is definutely the better of the two with a contrast ratio of 12k-1 whidh means you will have better blacks and whiter whites (sounds like a laundry detergent ad)

hope this helps
quintenve27

Model: 2.2i 5dr
Registration Year: 2002/02
Vehicle Name: The Beast
Modifications: Wind Deflectors
Region: South East

Postby Smithy501 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:53 pm

I reccomend only a few makes Mainly LG Phillips Samsung and sharp ,, sony i think overated for stuff what uses thompson tv tunners
If life hands you a lemon,,,,, Quickly grab it and throw it at someone!!
Smithy501

Location: Broome Shropshire Between Aston on clun and Craven arms
Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 2001/X
Region: Midlands

Previous

Return to PC & Technology discussion