// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Linux on old pooter

Linux on old pooter

Linux on old pooter

Postby FronteraGirl on Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:21 pm

Just a quick query guys, my Mum's computer is a hundred years old, running Win 2K and only has 260,528MB RAM whatever that means in MB or GB :roll:

A few people have suggested putting Linux on it, as apparently it takes up less space than Microsoft and works quite well on older machines. And the best bit I like the sound of, its free! :)

She only does basic surfing, email, YooToob / vids / music etc.

Any thoughts?
FronteraGirl
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Modifications: No mods, just a need a mud and snow busting machine cos I live a wee bit off road in the NE of Scotland.
Region: Scotland

Re: Linux on old pooter

Postby BoxCleva on Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:30 pm

Linux is an acquired taste. I used to dual boot with it on a couple of machines but never used it. You are right in what you say that it will be less resource hungry than Windows. I do wonder though how your mum would get on with it as it's quite different.

Linux is pretty unique in that you can download a 'live' version that you can run from CD/DVD to see if you like it without making any changes to your PC. If you decide you like it you install it. :drink:

It's been a while since I used it but PClinux OS was my favourite at the time.
BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Location: North Wales, not to far from the Wayfarer- Between Wrexham and Oswestry
Vehicle Name: sack o sheet
Modifications: Beemer e46
Region: North West

Postby zebedee on Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:36 pm

If you have a 100 year old computer you should sell it to a museum you will get millions for it...... :D

Seriously though......I have dabbled a lot with Linux, using the Ubuntu distro, but because I use Windows at work I have always resorted back to using Windows, but my home PC duel boots to Ubuntu or win7.

Linux is very good, fast to startup, fast to close down (compared to Windows) and once it is running is very good. Some of the graphic things it can do with the desktop makes Windows look antiquated (search youtube for ubuntu compiz). The great thing about it is that it is free, and just about all the software you can want is also free.

There is a slight learning curve, as it is a little bit different to windows, and I still cant get Skype working properly on my "old" desktop PC, but works ok on a newer laptop, (some sort of problem with drivers not being compatable, I think).

For older machines Linux can give them a new lease of life, your never going to play fast games on them, but run of the mill surfing, music etc will work fine.
zebedee
2WD
2WD

Postby FronteraGirl on Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:47 pm

Hmmm, thanks, confirms most of what others have said. I'm sure me Mum will get used to it, she will only need to know how to switch it on/off and go surfing, she's a bright ol' thing really :P

So I can download it to my PC, burn a disc, stick it in Mum's PC and boot from that?
FronteraGirl
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Modifications: No mods, just a need a mud and snow busting machine cos I live a wee bit off road in the NE of Scotland.

Postby zebedee on Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:54 pm

So I can download it to my PC, burn a disc, stick it in Mum's PC and boot from that?[i][/i]

Yes.

Make sure she has backed up any important data before hand though.
zebedee
2WD
2WD

Postby furball on Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:29 pm

Ubuntu is the most popular Lixux distribution for people looking to convert from Windows. There is a handy installation and startup guide here... http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html (free pdf download)
Don't grow up, just get bigger toys
My truck... http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27556
furball
frontera God
frontera God

Registration Year: 2003/03

Postby FronteraGirl on Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:43 pm

Ta, think I'm gonna do that then and see how it goes :)
FronteraGirl
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Postby drinksoptional on Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:57 pm

sorry to jumpin here , i was given a window 7 that keep saying wasnt guenuine now this has bugged me the linux would i be able to run my laptop on this without issues using forums,youtube facebook
1989 Isuzu Trooper 2.6 (3.1 conversion )
1990 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus Edition Hi roof 2.8td
1998 Vauxhall Omega Estate Elite 3.0 v6
drinksoptional
Its My Avatar Get Your Own

Postby zebedee on Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:41 pm

linux will run all the things you say, but some video play back eg youtube doesnt work straight away after instal as some video codecs are not approved. But it is a simple matter of downloading the codecs so most video formats will play.
zebedee
2WD
2WD

Postby drinksoptional on Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:46 pm

may be linux be better than windows 7
1989 Isuzu Trooper 2.6 (3.1 conversion )
1990 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus Edition Hi roof 2.8td
1998 Vauxhall Omega Estate Elite 3.0 v6
drinksoptional
Its My Avatar Get Your Own

Postby Rich on Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:24 pm

this thread reminded me that i had got a ubuntu disk so i though i would give it a go again :D :D :D so im running straight from the disk and its pretty good really seem quicker than windows :D :D :D

Rich
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Model: 2.5 TDS 5dr
Registration Year: 1997/R
Vehicle Name: Frontera with no name
Modifications: 2.5 the only mod is a 2inch lift
Region: Midlands

Postby Drift on Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:16 pm

I just got Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 for less than £40 for two machines and can get Windows 7 for the same :wink:

All you need is to know a student (stepson is in 6th form :wink: ) and I bought it as his parent, so all is legit :dance:
http://www.software4students.co.uk/

Bargain :D
Ste
FOG Administrator

Frontera Technical Support
Often Imitated Never Bettered

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk
Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Daddy's Car or Triggers Broom
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)

Postby BoxCleva on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:23 pm

drinksoptional wrote:may be linux be better than windows 7

Personal preference at the end of the day fella. I'd never swap full time to linux , but that's just me. I couldn't possibly recommend this on an open forum , but I hear some people have created an activation fix for Windows 7, but I couldn't and wouldn't recommend it :wink:
BoxCleva
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Location: North Wales, not to far from the Wayfarer- Between Wrexham and Oswestry
Vehicle Name: sack o sheet
Modifications: Beemer e46

Postby stretch on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:43 pm

I'm a heavy linux user so would definately recommend it however as said there is quite a learning curve, if all she wants to do is browse then net some word processing etc it will be ideal as there are installation cd's out there that will get you up and running in no time. Ubuntu is a popular choice for ease of setup.
stretch
Rain cloud of doom
Rain cloud of doom

Registration Year: 2000/W
Vehicle Name: F.I.T.T
Modifications: 12v feed in boot
Truckputer under construction
Front & rear recovery points
De side stepped
Region: East Anglia

Postby Kevin1964 on Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:19 pm

Only thing i found with linux was my graffix card..Works fine on windows 7 but not on linux linux & linux won't even allow my to play youtube vids... :? ..I was under the impression SKYPE services had been hyjacked and now out of action for the time being....I tried to download SKYPE on my computer but the site informs i cant ..THIS section i quoted but below was the original post i quoted on but some how its all gone wrong with the quote from me..SOZ :oops: :? :?

Seriously though......I have dabbled a lot with Linux, using the Ubuntu distro, but because I use Windows at work I have always resorted back to using Windows, but my home PC duel boots to Ubuntu or win7.

Linux is very good, fast to startup, fast to close down (compared to Windows) and once it is running is very good. Some of the graphic things it can do with the desktop makes Windows look antiquated (search youtube for ubuntu compiz). The great thing about it is that it is free, and just about all the software you can want is also free.

There is a slight learning curve, as it is a little bit different to windows, and I still cant get Skype working properly on my "old" desktop PC, but works ok on a newer laptop, (some sort of problem with drivers not being compatable, I think).

For older machines Linux can give them a new lease of life, your never going to play fast games on them, but run of the mill surfing, music etc will work fine.[/quote]
Last edited by Kevin1964 on Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin1964
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Region: Southern England

Postby Kevin1964 on Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:23 pm

WTF happened to the post..I quoted on it and it looks as though my...Quote didn't work so soz if it looks like i hyjacked the post..I didn't :oops: :oops:
Kevin1964
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Kevin1964 on Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:38 pm

I found my windows 7 does the same by informing me its not genuine software..It is coz it cost me 130.00 from pc-world and has cirtificate of authenticity :?
drinksoptional wrote:sorry to jumpin here , i was given a window 7 that keep saying wasnt guenuine now this has bugged me the linux would i be able to run my laptop on this without issues using forums,youtube facebook
Kevin1964
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Postby Rich on Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Drift wrote:I just got Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 for less than £40 for two machines and can get Windows 7 for the same :wink:

All you need is to know a student (stepson is in 6th form :wink: ) and I bought it as his parent, so all is legit :dance:
http://www.software4students.co.uk/

Bargain :D

nice find steve my son is at collage (windows 7 for less than £40) :dance: :dance:

Rich
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Region: Midlands

Postby Drift on Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:48 pm

And Rich, its legal :lol: new for you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ste
FOG Administrator

Frontera Technical Support
Often Imitated Never Bettered

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk
Its here, the FOG Annual Meet 2014 viewforum.php?f=123
Drift
The Man-ual
The Man-ual

Model: 2.8 TDI 5dr
Registration Year: 1995/N
Vehicle Name: Daddy's Car or Triggers Broom
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Tinkered to it's practical limits but understated, though shockingly cool (do you know her?).
She is nicccccceeee ;-)

Postby Rich on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:41 pm

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Rich
Lord frontera
Lord frontera