// Frontera Technical Support • View topic - Samsung camcorder questions

Samsung camcorder questions

Samsung camcorder questions

Postby FronteraGirl on Thu May 20, 2010 11:52 pm

Does anyone have a Samsung SMX F30 by any chance? I bought one a couple of days ago specifically for filming our vintage bike events this weekend (got the Velocette Roarer and Whiffling Clara visiting Scotland 8) 8) ) and have a couple of 'issues' with it.

First up is the editing software won't install on my computer (running Vista) but checked the disc on another machine and it's fine, so obviously got a prob with my machine there. Can anyone recommend some decent free software I can download for simple editing?

Second thing, I plugged the camcorder in and the pooter recognises it and I copied the files over and played a couple with Quick Time as it's the only thing that will run the files, and the image quality is shocking, very pixilated especially when zooming in and panning round :( it's worse than my Fuji digi camera can do on movie mode (which is annoying cos you buy a camcorder for filming and don't expect to have to use your proper ordinary camera!) - what have I gone and bought???!!!

I thought I'd run the files in Win Movie Maker to see if chopping the panning and zooming out made it any better, but it won't open the MP4 files - quote...

The file J:\Camcorder\SDV_0013.MP4 cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.

Can anyone help? :?
FronteraGirl
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Modifications: No mods, just a need a mud and snow busting machine cos I live a wee bit off road in the NE of Scotland.
Region: Scotland

Re: Samsung camcorder questions

Postby BRODERS01 on Fri May 21, 2010 7:53 am

I don't have the camera but you could try VLC player to play your clips.

http://download.cnet.com/VLC-Media-Player/3000-13632_4-10267151.html

Hope it helps
BRODERS01
Fronty Engineer
Fronty Engineer

Region: South East

Postby BadBoy on Fri May 21, 2010 7:58 am

Try doing a google search for K-LITE CODEC PACK, and download and install the codecs. (Codecs are a form of copy protection software so only the person who purchased the camera can use the results on their pc, but are freely available for people to download).
Once you have the corect codec, you should find programs like Real player, and Windows media player will now play the files.

Re editing software, - sorry I use a paid for one so can't help with a freebie, however I'm wondering why it's recording in mp4 in the first place. Check the settings on the camera to see if any other format is available.
Traffic lights in London are just rough guidelines
BadBoy
Lord frontera
Lord frontera

Modifications: Looks a bit like a Kia Sorento 2.5CRDi Titian remapped for 265bhp!
Region: South East

Postby FronteraGirl on Fri May 21, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks, the VCL player plays them ok, but I've downloaded the codecs and Media Player still won't open them :?
FronteraGirl
How Many Posts
How Many Posts

Model: 2.2 DTI 5dr
Registration Year: 1999/T
Modifications: No mods, just a need a mud and snow busting machine cos I live a wee bit off road in the NE of Scotland.
Region: Scotland

Return to PC & Technology discussion